Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Any news on the Header gains?'

Hey guys,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back on here and post the news. Kris beat me to it with the gains and the impression of the car now that the headers and simple intake have been installed.

I will be scanning the stock dyno sheet as well as the new dyno sheet this week and post them on our website (then provide a link here). I am not at home now so I dont have the dyno numbers with me, so I will post them either tonight or tomorrow.

I am very curious to see what Kris' times in the quarter mile drop down to. Anything better than .3 lower will be really good. Like Kris said, the exhaust still needs to be installed and hopefully he uses a 2.5" mandrel bent custom job with a nice big high flow catalytic converter. That type of exhaust system will REALLLLLLY let the engine breathe at high RPMs.

As soon as Kris has time to leave the car with us again, we will do work on the true CAI and also play around with the computer and S-AFC for some Air/Fuel tuning....

Happy Motoring,

Nikolas

·
Registered
577 Posts

I havent been able to scan the dyno sheets yet, but here are the numbers:

Stock:

HP: 165.9 TQ: 158.1

Header/Y-Pipe/ Short Ram Intake:

HP: 182.7 TQ 173.3

Again, this is with the stock exhaust system. When we get Kris' car again to do the CAI, it should have a full 2.5" high flow exhaust installed. This should pick up power by 5-10hp over where we are now. We also hope to get an S-AFC installed on his car when we have it next time and do some dyno tuning with it to clean up the air/fuel ratio.

I will get those sheets scanned as soon as I can.

Nikolas

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Reading Topic: Any news on the Header gains?

Thats on the auto right, not the stick? If so, do you expect the gains to be more on the stick (by how much)?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh, do you also have any idea when we can preorder the header?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Very interesting. Assuming the same losses from the stock numbers and dyno, this translates into about: 242hp, 210 lbft torque. Almost identical to Honda's numbers on the new Accord V6, which ironically they claimed to get via improvement of breathing and exhaust from the design table. Interesting though that the Mazda has more to gain yet from the exhaust since you guys haven't improved that yet. Good to hear. Honda also claims improvement from higher octane gas in their engine. They claim to expect about a 10 hp increase from stock numbers on premium unleaded. I don't know alot about air/fuel management. Can the SAFC be used to tune more power out of higher octane fuel? If so, seems like 250-260 hp at the crank should be easy to obtain.

·
Registered
162 Posts

duratec performance when would i be able to get headers and cold air intake for my car i live in ca also nikolas are you greek by anychance

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Nikolas,

Since you've seen the dyno, can you talk about the power curve with the new mods? How is the power distributed? What RPM does the HP and TQ max out at? How is the top end?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

What does SAFC stand for, i can't remember... SAirFuelC

·
Registered
468 Posts

Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn

What does SAFC stand for, i can't remember... SAirFuelC[/b]

super air fuel controler/converter

·
Registered
8 Posts

Header pix and dyno graph was spotted at www.msdsinc.com
click on " what's new" and then click " on Mazda6". The headers are also for sale over at Duratec Performance.The short ram filter (see dyno) is not on the site, this looks like it will be directly available from Duratec Performance. Hey DP, can you make us a higher rev limiter ?
The dyno shows power STILL building at the rev-cut out ! I need 200fwhp on my auto.

·
Registered
577 Posts

Hairy,

We will be working with an established Ford computer tuner (Mazda6 uses a Ford EEC) to develop a device to tune the computer in the Mazda6. I dont expect anything to be available for close to 6 months or so.....they have a full slate of projects and wont be able to start on the Mazda6 for quite some time.

Nikolas

·
Registered
268 Posts

Would this device that tunes the computer also defeat the speed limiter? Also, are you guys working on a highflow cat with the headers? On the stock exhaust system for the v6, how many cats are there? I'm guessing there are 2 precats and 2 main cats. Will there be a stainless steel version for the headers?

Thanks!

Originally posted by DuratecPerformance

Hairy,

We will be working with an established Ford computer tuner (Mazda6 uses a Ford EEC) to develop a device to tune the computer in the Mazda6.  I dont expect anything to be available for close to 6 months or so.....they have a full slate of projects and wont be able to start on the Mazda6 for quite some time.

Nikolas[/b]

·
Registered
268 Posts

Yeah tell me about it. I've hit the limiter at least 3 times in the past month on some deserted, long, and very wide highway. We need an autobahn.

Originally posted by WhoDiddy

plz take off the limiter! shit is annoying! plz plz plz[/b]

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Any news on the Header gains?

What deserted, long and very wide highway did you hit 120 on in south jersey? ...just curious...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

DP, is there anyway to sell your header kit without the cat? There are no emissions inspections in this state.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I don't see a cat on the kit, unless I am confusing what I think is the flex pipe is really a cat...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts