Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting either the mazda 3, 6 or the accord sport just want to hear your guys thoughts on the car any regrets anyone had.

Thanks in advance guys!

(I drove all three cars just having a tough time narrowing it down to one car one) <_<

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not yet. Low payment, great gas mileage, plethora of mods, people have mistaken mine twice now in the parking lot for a Jaguar. I was looking at an Audi A4 before this, but I think I made the right decision. You get a whole lot of car for the price.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I do have one, getting a 2014 6 Touring instead of a 2015 6 Touring, which has a upgraded AT shift lever, more lighted switches, more standard features, etc. :D. But that minor detail aside its a great highway cruiser and nets me great MPG, looks better than many cars in the price range, practical, and it has enough power to do its job. I am glad i spent a few grand extra on the 6 vs a impreza or a focus, those i would have regretted, haha

351 Posts
I will be getting either the mazda 3, 6 or the accord sport just want to hear your guys thoughts on the car any regrets anyone had.

Thanks in advance guys!

(I drove all three cars just having a tough time narrowing it down to one car one) <_<
If only it had 210hp and as much torque

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Kind of regret not getting the Chrysler 200 Limited because it's got so much power. But the 6 is an entirely different beast, the 200 has poor reliability, interior materials, gas mileage, etc. The 6 is well-equipped even as the sport model.

Dat burnout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ec1g0eLno

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
What's the best model for your money? I would like to stay belowe 25k and get the best deal. I'm not sure how much they negotiate with mazdas. I've never had one before.
best bang for the buck.. it's hard to beat Mazda. As equally equipped as you can get them the Mazda and Accord are about 2,000 apart. Those two were both on my list.. and because of price/options, I was more often comparing a sport 6 to a loaded civic than any accord *Shrug*. Maybe touring is different, but I wanted to stay below 20K, and I got the 6 close enough to that :p. For the money and my needs, nothing else touched the 6. family of 4, larger # of miles driven a day, etc etc etc. You need to lay out a cost benefit analysis for yourself and maybe even throw in a pros-cons for the emotional end of it, but it's best to keep that separate. Don't forget insurance costs.. for me the 6 was less than the accord.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
IMHO there's nothing on the market that offers the value proposition that the "6" does in either the Sport or Touring (as long as you stay away from the overpriced options) trims. I find the GT unpersuasive, simply on the money -- Mazda is not immune to de-contenting and grossly overpriced option packages. In some of their other models they do this sort of thing in an attempt to force you into the overpriced higher trims, as do Honda, VW, BMW and others. But that is notably absent with the "6", and I don't care why Mazda didn't do it here -- just that they didn't.

Total cost of ownership is important. Equally-important is a car you like to drive. If I was willing to simply buy "basic transportation" then I'd pick up a Hyundai Accent hatchback -- cheaper, better fuel economy along with dull, lifeless and boring.

I continue to be impressed by what the "6" offers in the total package, especially for the price. To get materially better in many of the categories without losing badly in others many other brands require anywhere from 50% to more than DOUBLE the price, and all of those options come with enough additional complexity that the TCO over time is likely to be much, much higher.

I'm right at 3,500 miles on my 6 Sport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMHO there's nothing on the market that offers the value proposition that the "6" does in either the Sport or Touring (as long as you stay away from the overpriced options) trims. I find the GT unpersuasive, simply on the money -- Mazda is not immune to de-contenting and grossly overpriced option packages. In some of their other models they do this sort of thing in an attempt to force you into the overpriced higher trims, as do Honda, VW, BMW and others. But that is notably absent with the "6", and I don't care why Mazda didn't do it here -- just that they didn't.

Total cost of ownership is important. Equally-important is a car you like to drive. If I was willing to simply buy "basic transportation" then I'd pick up a Hyundai Accent hatchback -- cheaper, better fuel economy along with dull, lifeless and boring.

I continue to be impressed by what the "6" offers in the total package, especially for the price. To get materially better in many of the categories without losing badly in others many other brands require anywhere from 50% to more than DOUBLE the price, and all of those options come with enough additional complexity that the TCO over time is likely to be much, much higher.

I'm right at 3,500 miles on my 6 Sport.
what are the main differences between the sport model and the touring? thanks for your help buddy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2015 Deep Crystal Blue Sport AT here...

My only regret - and it's a small one - is not waiting to test drive the 2015 VW GTI. I realize it competes in a different segment, but it hits a lot of the reasons I bought the Mazda6. Fun to drive, cargo utility, relatively inexpensive, etc. Have no idea if it's as cheap to insure.

I couldn't see any compelling reason to buy the Mazda3 over the 6. And I'm betting that toaster display on the dash will not age well!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone is SoCal with a 6? and hows the service centers? i went to southbay dealership this last weekend and it litterally looked like shit.. mind you it has been under construction for a while, but it didnt make me feel happy about bringing my car there if i do get a mazda..

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Touring has leatherette. That was a deal breaker for me and pushed me back to the Sport. I may go aftermarket leather in the future, but the cloth seats are plenty nice for me. My wife is the one that wants leather.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
what are the main differences between the sport model and the touring? thanks for your help buddy.
Touring has the buggy A/V unit in it whether AT or MT. Sport has the buggy one in AT and a more-basic (but fully-working) one in MT. If you intend to replace the head unit with one that isn't buggy or you don't find bluetooth integration to be of value then paying for the higher-cost unit serves no purpose since you're either going to happy with the base unit or are going to pull and replace it anyway.

Touring has Leatherette (vinyl) seating, Sport has cloth. I detest vinyl no matter what someone calls it; YMMV.

Touring has 19" wheels/tires, sport has 17". I prefer 17" but I drive where low-profile tires and wheels present an unacceptable risk of damage (and have paid for that mistake before to the tune of about $2k.) You may not. I find the 17" tires supplied to have excellent handling and traction, but are a bit loud on road noise. Then again the supplied 19s are allegedly loud on road noise too. I don't think you get anything in handling and responsiveness with the 19s, but you may prefer the cosmetics. That balanced against road-hazard risk is a calculation for you make.

Touring has a package available with a host of options you may or may not want all rolled into one, including auto on/off headlights (all models have auto-off), rain sensing wipers, Homelink mirror, heated side mirrors and "Smart city" braking. Touring also has dual-zone "automatic" HVAC; sport is single-zone conventional HVAC. Note that the auto-dim Homelink rear-view mirror is a trivial self-install if you want it (I did and added it.)

Touring also comes with power driver's seat, but no memory. IMHO one without the other is worthless; if it had memory it would be a good option to have if you have multiple drivers but that's reserved for the GT. If the car will have only one driver then I don't see value in power seats; they add weight and complexity, and thus potential maintenance expense risk, without adding utility.

Button-free entry is on the Touring for '15, but I didn't want it. All models have keyless start. EITHER keyless start OR keyless entry is ok with me, but NOT both (for theft-deterrence reasons I've gone over in some detail before.)

On the Touring to get the tech package (above) you must take the moonroof and Bose sound system (which I personally detest.) Why those can't be disjointed is beyond me, but they can't, and the two present a pretty-sizeable upcharge. Sucks, IMHO, especially if you think any of the included pieces have negative value (as I do with the Bose.)

If you don't like the sound system or simply think the car is a bit loud I have managed to get 3db of interior quieting out of a couple hundred bucks of material and a day's worth of effort. IMHO that's an enhancement that's massively worth the expense as it puts the interior quieting in the same ballpark as vehicles that are twice as expensive. "Bang for the buck" wise it is IMHO the best add-on to any of these cars you can make whether you're an audio buff or not. If you are then addressing the audio performance isn't very expensive either (I have a thread in the "Electrical" sub-area with what I did detailed.)

1 - 20 of 206 Posts