Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the 6 home from work last evening, but parked it out on the road to allow me to clear the snow out of my driveway and clean up the yard. After putting the snowblower away, I went to start the 6 and move it into the garage.

Clutch in, gear in neutral, turn the key.

The starter would crank, but it wouldn't turn over. After four attempts, letting the starter turn for about 8-10 seconds each time, it still wouldn't turn over. Frustrated and confused, I got out and got the Altima off the road and into the garage, no problem. I then returned to the 6.

This time, it started right up, but now the dreaded CEL is lit. I pulled into the garage, with no issue.

This morning, the light is still on, but the car is running fine. No idling issues, accelerates normally, no hesitation.

I'm heading to Advanced Auto after work to use a code scanner, but before then, anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? This is the first time that this has happened, and a mechanic-friend of mine didn't have an idea either...

·
Registered
222 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 2 2010, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634165
I drove the 6 home from work last evening, but parked it out on the road to allow me to clear the snow out of my driveway and clean up the yard. After putting the snowblower away, I went to start the 6 and move it into the garage.

The starter would crank, but it wouldn't turn over. After four attempts, letting the starter turn for about 8-10 seconds each time, it still wouldn't turn over. Frustrated and confused, I got out and got the Altima off the road and into the garage, no problem. I then returned to the 6.

This time, it started right up, but now the dreaded CEL is lit. I pulled into the garage, with no issue.

This morning, the light is still on, but the car is running fine. No idling issues, accelerates normally, no hesitation.

I'm heading to Advanced Auto after work to use a code scanner, but before then, anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? This is the first time that this has happened, and a mechanic-friend of mine didn't have an idea either...[/b]
I wouldn't worry about it too much until you get the code and find out what the CEL is from

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I would almost bet the code stored will have to do with cranking too long

·
Registered
222 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 2 2010, 10:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634170
Possibly... But how would that kick on the CEL?

That's my plan. I'm just posting to see if there are others that had the same issue/have some ideas.[/b]
I just had similar thing happen to me. It ended up being a bad cell in my battery. I thought it was the starter so I ordered a new one and installed it. That didn't fix the problem. I thought for sure it was the starter since my battery was only a year old, and the lights weren't dimming or anything to suggest a bad battery. How old is your battery?

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (djquik1 @ Feb 2 2010, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634172
I would almost bet the code stored will have to do with cranking too long[/b]
Damn, there's a code for that too? :wtf:

DJ, could the ignition coils be going?

QUOTE (azcardinals @ Feb 2 2010, 01:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634176
I just had similar thing happen to me. It ended up being a bad cell in my battery. I thought it was the starter so I ordered a new one and installed it. That didn't fix the problem. I thought for sure it was the starter since my battery was only a year old, and the lights weren't dimming or anything to suggest a bad battery. How old is your battery?[/b]
Battery is a year old, with no issues before this.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 2 2010, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634178
Damn, there's a code for that too? :wtf:

DJ, could the ignition coils be going?

Battery is a year old, with no issues before this.[/b]

There is a code for long cranking I believe......I will check into it more when I get free'd up enough to go out to the shop and look through a manual.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I never made it to Advance last evening, I ended up working VERY late (and I'm here early this AM). In an economy with layoffs left and right, I'm VERY happy to be busy doing anything... :yesnod:

Anyway, I turned the key leaving work lastnight, and it started right up, the idiot lights did their regular check, they they went off, INCLUDING the CEL light! At first I thought I was too tired to drive, but it indeed was off. Same thing this morning, the CEL light went off as normal.

:headscrat:

Either way, a sincere "thank you" to everyone that weighed in and helped troubleshoot the problem. I'm glad it didn't become a more serious issue.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 3 2010, 06:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634423
Well, I never made it to Advance last evening, I ended up working VERY late (and I'm here early this AM). In an economy with layoffs left and right, I'm VERY happy to be busy doing anything... :yesnod:

Anyway, I turned the key leaving work lastnight, and it started right up, the idiot lights did their regular check, they they went off, INCLUDING the CEL light! At first I thought I was too tired to drive, but it indeed was off. Same thing this morning, the CEL light went off as normal.

:headscrat:

Either way, a sincere "thank you" to everyone that weighed in and helped troubleshoot the problem. I'm glad it didn't become a more serious issue.[/b]
No problem........the code should be stored in the ECU so when you get a chance go by some place and get it scanned

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
if the car was cranking, the starter is surely not the problem. there are instances where my car does that. but i think i have a grounding issue. once the car is warm. sometimes it will crank but wont start until i put the Booster box on my front terminal point (i have my battery in the trunk)

but it does it randomly. it did when i parked outside the dyno on monday waiting for the guys to show up. had to put the jump box on it. for it to finally start. keep in mind the car cranks strongly without the jumpbox, just wont turn over.

anyway, got into the dyno, strapped it down......started it for the pulls. it started right up lol.

i think its a grounding issue on my car, but may not even be related on your car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts