Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going along the side of my car today and happened to notice a small scratch so i came closer and it seems that someone had scuffed part of their button of their jeans on my car. Its a very small scratch not deep at all. I can barely feel it with my nail. But its still a scratch, Now I didnt get any touch up paint from my deal when I bought the car a month ago. How much would it run me? Also please could someone tell me or link me on how to apply touch up paint properly? So that it doesnt look like one big glob.

Here is the only good pic i could get:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I got some touchup paing for $5 from the dealership, however when I put some on the rock chips up on the hood, the paint looked too clear, so I wiped it off.

I would also like to know if there is an "official" way to apply it?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ditto that, I have quite a few chips I would like to fix and would like some advice.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I was going along the side of my car today and happened to notice a small scratch so i came closer and it seems that someone had scuffed part of their button of their jeans on my car. Its a very small scratch not deep at all. I can barely feel it with my nail. But its still a scratch, Now I didnt get any touch up paint from my deal when I bought the car a month ago. How much would it run me? Also please could someone tell me or link me on how to apply touch up paint properly? So that it doesnt look like one big glob.

Here is the only good pic i could get:

[/b]

there are several good scratch removal compounds available at most auto parts stores. try one of those first, as opposed to rubbing compound which will damage the clearcoat. No matter how well its applied, touchup paint is going to look worse on a scratch like that than just buffing it out as well as possible. you may well be lucky and be able to remove it completely if its only in the clearcoat.
make SURE whatever you buy is labeled as clearcoat safe....!!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

[/b]
Have you tried to buff it out? I scratched the shit out of the tail of my car when I took the Mazdaspeed badge off as I inadvertenly used a sponge that had debris in it. While it was wet and I was rubbing off the glue I couldn't tell I was damaging my car. Once it dried, I was shocked to find I had multiple scratches in like a 6" area where the logo went.

So I got out some wax and about 20 coats - one right on top of the other and then buffing it out - later (and a very tired arm) they were pretty much gone. I still have to reapply it about once a month, but it works pretty well.

Can't tell from the pic if your scratch is too deep for that, but may be worth a shot.

Good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
It is pain in the ass to touch up white pearl color. I bought a touchup grey primer, touchup random white color paint, and then the OEM touch up paint. I have to put on the primer, then the white paint, then the OEM pearl paint in order to get to the OEM color.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It is pain in the ass to touch up white pearl color. I bought a touchup grey primer, touchup random white color paint, and then the OEM touch up paint. I have to put on the primer, then the white paint, then the OEM pearl paint in order to get to the OEM color.
[/b]
Cool, I'll give that a try.

I wanna see a pic of you wheels up close :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I got some touchup paing for $5 from the dealership, however when I put some on the rock chips up on the hood, the paint looked too clear, so I wiped it off.

I would also like to know if there is an "official" way to apply it?

Thanks,
Ryan
[/b]
You paid $5? My dealer told me that for all new 6 and Speed 6 owners that they recieved their first can of touch-up paint free, and then would have to pay for the rest...

·
Registered
875 Posts
You paid $5? My dealer told me that for all new 6 and Speed 6 owners that they recieved their first can of touch-up paint free, and then would have to pay for the rest...
[/b]
I think you get a free on in the mail a little while down the road, but I wanted one right away since the paint chips starting showing up right away.

$5 well spent :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dopey me....wish I knew about the free touch up paint. I already bought some....and it wasn't $5.

Unopened....I guess I could return it :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I e-mailed Mazda and they said if I give them my VIN they will send me a free bottle. Who knows how long it'll take to get here though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey guys thanx for all the great responses. yea my dealer told me that touch up paint isnt included with the car that i would have to buy the $5 bottle. But on the other hand I just went and applied like 5 god coats of mcguire carnauba wax and sue enough the scratch was barely visible almost gone. But you wouldnt know it was there unless you looked really really close. But I guess some more wax should do the trick. Thanx again

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
What? No mention of Autopia.org? For shame...

http://guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=27
[/b]
+1 by far the best site out there for this kind of stuff. there are plenty of topics on there about how to apply touch up paint. for me i got touchup paint from mazda and it was slightly off. but i guess that may be because my car is a 04.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts