Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an '05 Legacy GT around august of last year because I needed a new car. I wanted to wait for the MPS6 to come out so that I could compare them but Mazda kept pushing the release date back. So I couldn't wait any longer and purchased the LGT.

The Legacy has performed flawlessly. There are some small things I'd change but nothing major.

Anywho, I swung by the local Mazda dealer on Saturday and they had a white Speed6. It definitely looked sharp. Of course a salesperson came out trying to sell me the car even though I parked my new Legacy right next to it. But I told her I'd come back this Saturday for a test drive.

I doubt I'd trade in the Legacy since I owe so much. Last thing I want to do is get in more debt.

Are there any ex-Legacy owners here? Any comments on the switch?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think that car has the sexiest ass...LOL- Seriously, i was driving behind that car on my way to work about a month ago and i was like...damn- that looks good!!!

regarding the Speed--- I LOVE IT. Everyone that sees it up close cant beleive what it is and how freaking fast it is.

as far as trading it in...that my friend is up to you.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think both cars are fantastic at doing the sports sedan thing...just a matter of taste.

I opted for the speed since I owned an STi before and had never owned a Mazda.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I see them all the time and they are GORGEOUS CARS!

I didn't know of them till I bought my 6 but from what I read the latest 06 batch is no longer offered in a MTX configuration which rules that car out in the future for me.

Love the front end and the back! it has very nice clean lines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
andee - any regrets? did you trade in your LGT? if so, what kind of deal did they give you on the MPS6?

·
Registered
127 Posts
andee - any regrets? did you trade in your LGT? if so, what kind of deal did they give you on the MPS6?
[/b]
prolly should also ask what year his was. there was an lgt prior to '05, but its not the same car.

from what I read the latest 06 batch is no longer offered in a MTX configuration which rules that car out in the future for me.[/b]
lgt sedan=mtx yes; lgt wagon=auto only

if you were intent on a mtx wagon, the obxt can be had with mt and is still very fast

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of blowing a wad by trading in, just go buy a stage 2 cobb kit.
[/b]
yeah, i would only trade in if they gave me a smoking deal. i'm not trying to get into more debt.

i think the main reason why i'm contemplating this is because i want what i don't have. i may swing by the mitsu dealer across the street to see if they have any used evo's =)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I test drove the LGT and MS6 back to back last weekend. The MS6 has better low-end power delivery and the handling feels more precise than the LGT. But the MS6 power drops off at ~5000 rpm and the clutch is very on/off. LGT is much softer/quieter and the power builts and builts. I did't like the shifter in either car, but you can get a short shifter for the LGT while the MS6 aftermarket support is iffy. The LGT is also cheaper right now. I can get a new '06 LGT for <$25k but even with S-plan the MS6 is $26k+. The deciding factor for me is that I just can't stand the el-cheapo plastic interior of the MS6.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I love my speed6. My boss lives by me so when we happen to get off at the same time, I'll usually follow him to the street right before my house. It looks so sexy from behind and it's even hotter seeing it in your rear view with the HID's and fogs on. Sometimes when I come home, there is a group of buildings on my left that have huge glass window fronts, for a couple of a hundred feet you get a PERFECT side profile shot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
prolly should also ask what year his was. there was an lgt prior to '05, but its not the same car.
lgt sedan=mtx yes; lgt wagon=auto only

if you were intent on a mtx wagon, the obxt can be had with mt and is still very fast
[/b]
I have a buddy with a 2005 Legacy GT Limited Wagon with MTX for sale! See this link!!

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=51397

F

·
0 Posts
soon to be an ex STI owner here ;)

I'm still trying to decide between a LGT or MS6... so far the 6 is looking better in my eyes..

HID, faster, foldable rear seats (need to remove a small cover), cheaper and more

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
soon to be an ex STI owner here ;)

I'm still trying to decide between a LGT or MS6... so far the 6 is looking better in my eyes..

HID, faster, foldable rear seats (need to remove a small cover), cheaper and more
[/b]
dont forget the ms6s' 6 speed tranny, bose sound system, and way better suspension and handling...not that I'm trying to sway you one way or the other :p

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you plan on modding go with the LGT. The chasis is proving to be a very balanced, consistent and capable chasis.

As a low budget team debuting the car in grand am and USTCC has acheived with off the shelf parts:

USTCC: Virgin run 2nd place at the A1GP Laguna Seca raceway battling with an EVO8. These 2 cars seperated themselves from the pack by over 6 seconds!

USTCC: 1st place in the Buttonwillow enduro on thier shakedown run without even really trying.

Grand Am Cup: 6th place overall at Laguna Seca beating ALL the mazda RX8's on thier own turf including the factory mazdaspeed RX8 thier FIRST time running in the GAC.

All this is done with basicly a BONE stock engine, intercooler, exhaust system. Running a weight penalty that puts weight close to 3300lbs.

www.gotoracing.com

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23993

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.ph...3&postcount=292

"The legacy is one of the most balanced cars I have ever driven. If you spend a little time on setup, you can solve alot of the understeer problems that are inherent on the imprezza model. I am sure you can see by the Phoenix vid that we were handling quite well through the infield. DMS and Hotchkis supply our suspension pieces.

As you upgrade, I would definately look to your brakes. The Legacy front brakes are already big and beefy, but so is the car. If you plan on tracking on a regular basis, make sure you get pads and rotors up to the challenge. Currently we run all RacingBrake stuff. Without it, I am sure we would not have finished Laguna Seca. Our rotors were glowing in the broad daylight!"

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35250

"...The RSXes have alot of muscle on straightaways, but don't match with their cornering. The RX8s are amazing in braking zones, especially if they are decreasing radius. They are lightweight and handle very well on the brakes.

I was amazed to see that our heavy car actually tends to out handle most of the field. With our min weight just upped 50lbs, it will continue to be a struggle to keep step with braking, and I am afraid until we are allowed some exhaust, we won't have quite the top end of most of the front runners.

that being said, our car seems to be the most consistent one out there. Meaning it is just as fast at the start of a race as at the end. Most of the rest of the field seems to lose balance, or grip, or both. I attribute this to our shocks, and also AWD. we found a setup that is uses both ends of the car equally. It will help us in races to come."

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's interesting because the Speed6 is getting better reviews compared to the Spec-B. I ended up test driving the white Speed6 the other week and to be honest, I wasn't impressed.

Now, don't get me wrong - the car performed well for the brief test drive.

I like the low end power (for a 4 cyl), exterior, and HID's.
I didn't like the power drop off, interior, and computer controlled awd.

They appraised my car at just under $14k. I would be taking close to a $10k loss on top of paying an additional $4k for the new Speed6. So between the lack-luster test drive and huge loss in money I'll be sticking with the LGT.

I did end up test driving an 06 WRX TR. That car felt just like the Speed6 except a little tighter. I actually liked the WRX more than the Speed6.

I'm still going to check out the dealer across the street. He said he should be getting an Evo trade in. I figure it won't hurt to take out for a test drive. If it doesn't leave a lasting impression I'll end up modding the LGT.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
And then to counter...

The legacy's aftermarket, which can fix any problem you have with the car, and give you as much power as you could possibly ever want, only limited by the size of your bank account. And the 07 spec-b's have 6 spd sti transmissions.
[/b]
I'd say the only problem you cant fix on the Legacy is it's lackluster looks...just not mean enough looking

Yeah the 07 spec b is a different story I think I might be taking one of those for a test drive when they hit stateside.

As for liking the WRX better than the speed6, they are really in different classes...sure both are turbo AWD sedans but thats about where the comparisons end...my friend just picked up an 06 WRX and aside from the fron end being ugly as sin it's a really nice car with enough pep to get him through his daily commute.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
24 Participants
drbob1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing