Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a K&N air filter fitted to the 2005 Mazd6 Luxury Hatch and noted very little if any increase in performance or response. I have just read a report suggesting that a fast flowing air filter like K&N is very risky for the EVO IX as it risks the engine due to increasing the lean burn of the engine. An engineer for Mitsubishi said that the standard set up was better. Has anyone fitted a K&N air filter to a MPS? If so are there any discernible benefits other than psychological? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I had a K&N air filter fitted to the 2005 Mazd6 Luxury Hatch and noted very little if any increase in performance or response. I have just read a report suggesting that a fast flowing air filter like K&N is very risky for the EVO IX as it risks the engine due to increasing the lean burn of the engine. An engineer for Mitsubishi said that the standard set up was better. Has anyone fitted a K&N air filter to a MPS? If so are there any discernible benefits other than psychological? Thanks.
[/b]
yes. better throttle response and more intake sound. but i also gutted the airbox and removed the resonator. i dont think this car will ever burn lean with the stock airbox especially since this car runs very rich as it is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes. better throttle response and more intake sound. but i also gutted the airbox and removed the resonator. i dont think this car will ever burn lean with the stock airbox especially since this car runs very lean as it is.
[/b]
Lean?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been in a speed with a k&n drop-in, and I don't know about power increases, because the driver didn't really get on it... However, it sounded really nice, and you could hear the BOV blow off... you just have to weigh if 50 bucks is worth this...i'm going for a CAI, but if I wasn't looking to mod my Speed alot, i'd use the k&n

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have one in my Speed6 and really do not notice all that much of a difference...as noted it is a little louder (more of a throaty sound). As far as power increase goes I am not so sure.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
performance wise, its negligible. i dont even think it's quantitative with this engine. no one can consistently get the same dyno numbers twice. i just did it for the sound. i dont plan on going with a cai until someone hacks the ECU so i can remap the A/F ratios.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree, you're probably just better off saving up for the CAI.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Ya all you have to do is use a paper filter or a dry flow filter. Generally if you actually read most airflow filtration tests (not the ones on the manufacturer websites), the paper filters flow almost as much as the "high flow filters", and filter far better.

Tthe only difference between the two is that the paper filters trap more dirt, and thus get clogged up sooner. Because of this, people who swap out air filters tend to notice an "improvement" because the old filter was dirty. If you had replaced the drop in filter with a stock paper filter, you'd have noticed the same "improvement." And don't go quoting those lame ass K&N test's tuner shops have with the fan...those are packed full of BS.

As proven a few years ago with flow bench tests, removing the air filter completely has less of an effect on airflow then removing the resonator/tray from the stock airbox. The only way you'd see a whp gain from a drop in filter is if someone staged the dyno.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Remember with a cotton gauze style air filter, you will have to clean the MAF more often due to the buildup of oil due to the filters construction process.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...&id=62&Itemid=1
[/b]
Just going to reiterate what Crossbow said. My own experience say this is true- my MAF seemed to need cleaning once I switched to a cotton filter.

In addition, cotton filters simply don't serve their purpose as well. They don't filter as well as paper. The difference is minor but there.

The dry flow looks interesting for sure- do that or stick with the paper filter. Don't switch for the sake of horsepower though, you won't notice a difference.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i just removed my resonator/tray. pretty simple with two guys and removing the bumper. our airbox is lacking the flapper that is on the regular 6 air box. i honestly feel a slight difference, but i won't say its amazing. definitely worth the price. (a sweet tea at sonic for my friend). i have the regular filter still in the box and don't see a reason to switch to k&n.

i can't say i notice a real difference in sound except for the very low rpms sound deeper and perhaps the air whoosh is a little more noticeable.

at 7400 miles the filter looked brand new. i don't know if it was replaced at my oil change, but it had a few bugs in it and that was it. the resonator had a little debris in it, but i don't think very much gets in there if you are worried about actual filtration.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
the sound definitely changes with the k&n. im getting that "jet engine" sound that people talk about getting with their CAI's. but like i said before, no seat of the pants gains.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
ryceboi
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing