Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Newbie here and recently the proud owner of a used mazda 6 2010. When picking up the car, the dealer said the keyless remote stopped working (gave discount) and it's most likely caused by the antitheft locking module so they took it out of the car (see picture for example of the part). I have seen some used parts online and wanted to see if I can save money by installing it myself. Is that possible? I read that it might need reprogramming which only a locksmith or dealership can do, so wasn't sure...

If I could do it on my own, is there a guide on how to install this? I couldn't find much guidance in the car manual.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 6
413 Posts
Honestly the first thing I would do is make sure the all the part numbers match accordingly. Installing a module designed for another car even if it is another mazda will not work. You will also need to make sure any keys you have are the correct ID's for the car. they are model specific so keep that in mind. You can definitely replace the physical module but I'm not 100% on if you are able to reprogram the system without either the Mazda dealer scan tool or an equivalent. Tbh I've been with mazda for only about 2 years and I wasn't really exposed to much of the electronics prior so someone who may have dealt with this already might have better input.

·
Rally Racer
3,367 Posts
I believe that @Trollz3457 is correct with the part number issues. I do believe the module can be programmed to the keys by the dealer or an auto locksmith. We had a similar issue with our Honda and if it is similar, (and I believe the tech is) there are special computers for this. The Honda unit was $10,000 to be able to do that programming, call around.
Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback and help! I'll call around to the dealers to see what can be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts