Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been looking into getting a shark fin antena. The only problem is that I have an03 that has the antena in the rear window. So does anyone know if I can unplug the one in the rear window and use an external? I have the worst reception right now and I would like to fix it. It seems like there should be a wire going from the deck to the rear window so it seems possible. Please any help would be great.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Not quite sure how this would work, because I don't own an 03, or have worked on one, but for the 04 and above, the antenna comes up through the roof. That is where the sharkfin attaches and covers.

It would only make sense to me that to get the 03 to be the same, is that you would have to punch/drill a hole in your roof and find a way to disconnect the antenna from the rear window (no idea how it's hooked up), and route it through the new hole in your roof. Then seal it really, really well so that it doesn't leak when it rains, and attach the fin to that. That's what would make sense to me on the install.

Does anyone with a little more experience in the field have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2003 6S with the antenna in the rear window glass, and I also have a 2006 Speed6 with the VG SharkFin antenna.

IMHO the SharkFin is not going to fix, nor even inprove, your reception problem.
If the window antenna is not damaged and working properly, just not strong enough for your particular area, the SharkFin won't be any better.

It works fine for strong FM stations - I don't know about AM, since I never listen to AM.
The 2003 window antenna is stronger than the 2006 SharkFin (both cars have the Bose audio package)

If you want the Fin for looks, OK. Buy one and stick it on.
Just don't drill a hole in a perfectly good roof for nothing unless you're going to go all the way and install the 04->06 "buggy whip" antenna.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Justins6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing