Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to bring it in for the horrible cold running, the stumbling, the no idle when cold starting. I had spoken with the service advisor twice before. Decided to have a couple of things looked at too. So I typed out the four things I wanted them to look at. He hands me the service ticket to sign, after I handed him the typewritten sheet and discussions. The service ticket says poor running when cold, nothing else. I said I am not going to sign that. He states that they cannot write anything on the service order unless they observe it. How absurd, I aked him how the tech is going to know to look for anything unless he writes it down. He says they are all related to the same thing. He then proceeds to tell me that all the Ford family brands are instructed to do the same thing. Well I finally got him to look at the typewritten note and he makes a couple of hand notes on the service order. One of the things I wanted them to take a look at is the rattle on start after sitting for an hour or so. He then proceeds to tell me that Mobil 1 is the problem and that it is not the right oil for the MS6 and that the engine will never be broken in. So I say, where does it say that in the owner's manual. He says go get it. So I open it to the oil page and of course it says none of that rubbish. I ask him tp provide documentation on the no syn rule and he does not produce that as well. He still does not write that down and puts a note on the service order to have the tech look at my note.

I ran into the sales guy, who I am really impressed with, that sold me my MX5 and worked like hell to get me to buy an MS6 from him. He was amazed as well and is going to be paying attention to what is going on too.

And they wonder why stealership service departments have a bad name. :irate:

It's just a car, it should not be that hard to get decent service.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Decided to bring it in for the horrible cold running, the stumbling, the no idle when cold starting. I had spoken with the service advisor twice before. Decided to have a couple of things looked at too. So I typed out the four things I wanted them to look at. He hands me the service ticket to sign, after I handed him the typewritten sheet and discussions. The service ticket says poor running when cold, nothing else. I said I am not going to sign that. He states that they cannot write anything on the service order unless they observe it. How absurd, I aked him how the tech is going to know to look for anything unless he writes it down. He says they are all related to the same thing. He then proceeds to tell me that all the Ford family brands are instructed to do the same thing. Well I finally got him to look at the typewritten note and he makes a couple of hand notes on the service order. One of the things I wanted them to take a look at is the rattle on start after sitting for an hour or so. He then proceeds to tell me that Mobil 1 is the problem and that it is not the right oil for the MS6 and that the engine will never be broken in. So I say, where does it say that in the owner's manual. He says go get it. So I open it to the oil page and of course it says none of that rubbish. I ask him tp provide documentation on the no syn rule and he does not produce that as well. He still does not write that down and puts a note on the service order to have the tech look at my note.

I ran into the sales guy, who I am really impressed with, that sold me my MX5 and worked like hell to get me to buy an MS6 from him. He was amazed as well and is going to be paying attention to what is going on too.

It's just a car, it should not be that hard to get decent service.
[/b]

Did you end up swapping the oil or sticking with what you had?

That is ridiculous about the oil. They are just trying to pass the blame onto something else because they probably don't know whats going on. good luck with your problems.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

It's just a car, it should not be that hard to get decent service. [/b]

The man is an idiot. I would not have left my car with any shop that has such a moron on its staff.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called Mazda USA and they verified that Mobil1 was OK in our engines. They gave me the name in technical support to send the dealer to in case of questions.

The only motor that does not work with synthetics is the rotary, and I knew that.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
did you specify 10w30 @ the dealer?? because mazda only carries 0w20 and have to have the 10w30 shipped. This was with 2 different dealers. w20 is too thin.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What a moron!!

I think that Stealership service depts have a lot to do with your area....
I used to live in Ohio, bought my Hyundai Elantra- (yes Hyundai and it was an AWESOME car for the$$) there and whenver i brought it into the dealer, i got nothing but top notch service. They ALWAYS had a loaner available and never once pulled any retardedness like you hear about in here sometimes. Now, I live in NJ and my Wife and I bought her a Santa-Fe. Another good vehicle by Hyundai and the dealership/service dept that we used to go to here are complete and utter A55HOLES- now thank-god we know someone "inside" and our troubles are over with that...

My Mazda dealership seems "OK"... we will see this time around though cause i suspect an Oil leak and i KNOW my rotors are grooved yet again...lets see how they handle that!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hesitancy to write down problems is hinged on dealer service audits and the lemon law issues, IMHO. The reason I brought it in there is that the regional service Mazda guys are there looking at a couple others with the same problem. It appears that they changed plugs and re-flashed the ECU and are waiting for the car to cool off for a restart test. Too bad the weather is so unseasonably nice, 55F or so this afternoon. I guess I need to get the MX5 out of mothballs.

The dealer GM and the sales guy are all over this.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day two update. They gave it the reflash per Mazda, surprise surprise it did not fix it. At least the service guy is now being nice and cooperative. The saga continues.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yeah, good call to call Mazda USA to report the serivce assholes. I reported mine too. They are supposed to help you, not be a dick.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, good call to call Mazda USA to report the serivce assholes. I reported mine too. They are supposed to help you, not be a dick.
[/b]
Not done that, appears to be enough local pressure from the GM and sales guy. The local dealer guys and me are all in the same boat, waiting for a solution from Mazda USA. They have to follow the rules and procedures as well, they are at their mercy too. I cannot accept the car back, now that I have identified it as a safety problem either and I would think that Mazda would not want that either.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Calling Mazda USA doesn't help. I've called them regarding Browns Fairfax Mazda (In Northern Virginia), and they didn't to jack shit.

So, i just stoped dealing with them, and now i'm at Rosenthal Mazda in Tysons. I've been dealing w/ them for the past few months, and i've gotten free oil changes, and just excelent service. The guy's name is Matt Harvey (Mazda Service).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a wonderfull buying experience at my dealership, I was treated professionally and would buy there again, IF, they fire the service manager. He treated me like a complete idiot, was impolite, and not helpfull in any way. I have worken on cars for 30 years, have rebuilt rotary motors (I don't know many people that have done that) and know my way around almost every system on a car. Some of the things this guy told me were laughable. He has absolutely no idea how a car works. It's a small dealership so he is the only service writer. I have only been back there for the reflashes and will NEVER take my car there unless I need waranty work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure why people find it unbelievable that the type of oil will affect cold start-ups. When the Vw Touaregs came out we had problems with them misfiring on cold start-up. Turns out the oil put in from the factory had some weird viscosity rating, once you did the first oil change it would stop doing it.

did you specify 10w30 @ the dealer?? because mazda only carries 0w20 and have to have the 10w30 shipped. This was with 2 different dealers. w20 is too thin.
[/b]

No mazda uses 0w20. Most use 5w20 or 10w30. Ms6's use 5w30.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FYI, they have 27 documented cases of this problem they are working on, they don't have an answer yet. They strongly suggested I keep the rental. The Service Manager took a ride with the tech and said yes it's pretty bad.

They will begin a rash of diagnostics next week. It appears to be a fuel delivery/pressure inconsistency issue when cold.

·
Registered
209 Posts
FYI, they have 27 documented cases of this problem they are working on, they don't have an answer yet. They strongly suggested I keep the rental. The Service Manager took a ride with the tech and said yes it's pretty bad.

They will begin a rash of diagnostics next week. It appears to be a fuel delivery/pressure inconsistency issue when cold.
[/b]
Hmmmm...I wonder if I'm included in that group of 27?? They replaced my spark plugs, supposedly with updated ones. It just hasn't been cold enough here to be sure that my issue is resolved. I never thought I'd be sitting around in January hoping for single digit temps!!

My dealer did say to stay tuned. I got the impression Mazda is working on a fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.