Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like many of you are on a quest for winter tires/wheels for my MS6. I live in SE Michigan and our snowfalls are not terrible, but can be slick and the Protenzas will not cut it. I have decided to pick up another set of wheels, either a set of 17" OEM 6's, or 18" OEM RX-8s. I called to get some information on tires at discount tire and the Dunlop Graspic DS-2s I am looking at in the 17" were Q-rated while the 18" was V-rated. Could someone elaborate on what exactly is the difference and will I notice whatever it is?

If I go with the 17's, I would prefer to get a nice tire, if Q-rated is going to suck for me I really need to re-evalute this option.

If I go with the 18's, how much danger am I in bending the wheels on a pothole with the stock rims (as I will be putting my summers on the RX-8s :) )

I'm looking to keep costs down to about $150/tire and below with below being underscored. The 17" were around $124 and I've seen them as low as $109 on tirerack.

Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like many of you are on a quest for winter tires/wheels for my MS6. I live in SE Michigan and our snowfalls are not terrible, but can be slick and the Protenzas will not cut it. I have decided to pick up another set of wheels, either a set of 17" OEM 6's, or 18" OEM RX-8s. I called to get some information on tires at discount tire and the Dunlop Graspic DS-2s I am looking at in the 17" were Q-rated while the 18" was V-rated. Could someone elaborate on what exactly is the difference and will I notice whatever it is?

If I go with the 17's, I would prefer to get a nice tire, if Q-rated is going to suck for me I really need to re-evalute this option.

If I go with the 18's, how much danger am I in bending the wheels on a pothole with the stock rims (as I will be putting my summers on the RX-8s :) )

I'm looking to keep costs down to about $150/tire and below with below being underscored. The 17" were around $124 and I've seen them as low as $109 on tirerack.

Thanks!
[/b]

Call Tirerack, they will explain the Q vs V. I AssUme this is in regards to speed ratings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, that helped to clear things up. I suppose my question is, would I be miserable in my MS6 with a set of Q rated Snow Tires? (Max 99mph) I am not overly concerned with performance >95mph in the winter months...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
If you are doing over 100 MPH in winter tires (I would assume snow)... i think your nut :)....

Have you thought of looking into different tires?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have looked at the Graspic DS-2 (QR) for $109, and the Dunlop Sport which are HR for $134. I won't be doing over 100mph in the snow, but if they are rated for less than a 100mph, when it's dry out and I'm highway driving will I notice an uncomfortable ride in the 75-90mph range? It won't snow every day I'll have those suckers on :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
There're a couple of issues with underrated tires. First, the lower the speed rating, generally, the lower the amount of effort that's gone into dry weather performance in general. So a Q rated tire will tend to have lower lateral g and stopping ratings. This will translate into a squishier feeling when pushing the tire, not necessarily a deterioration in ride quality. The other problem is prolongued driving above the rating of the tire can cause heat build-up and catastrophic (read blowout) failure. So, if like me your winter driving is 80% on dry roads at or near freezing, and you routinely push near 100 mph, I'd suggest at least T rated tires. The 17" wheels and tires will be considerably cheaper (for example, the 18" Blizzaks are $200, the 17s are $134) and should be lighter (you can easily find 17" wheels under 18#, the only less than 18# 18" are the Rays build Mazdaspeed that are $350+?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have looked at the Graspic DS-2 (QR) for $109, and the Dunlop Sport which are HR for $134. I won't be doing over 100mph in the snow, but if they are rated for less than a 100mph, when it's dry out and I'm highway driving will I notice an uncomfortable ride in the 75-90mph range? It won't snow every day I'll have those suckers on :)
[/b]
Most performance winter tires will be either h or v rated. I have used non-performance tires before and will not use them again on a performance oriented vehicle like the MS6. The non-performance tires degraded the cars handling and braking noticeably at all speeds when the roads were clear (most of the time). I am currently using blizzack lms on the oe speed wheels and they handled our MN winter storms fine and still allowed me some fun when the roads were clear. If you want to stay w/ 17s, dunlop makes the winter sport in the 215/50/17 size, and they are a pretty good performance winter tire.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Thanks!
[/b]
Have you looked at the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S? They sell for $125.00 at Tire Rack, and the reviews on them have been very good. I'm thinking about using them as my year-round tire when I have to replace the Potenzas.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
the guy at tireswap.com carries the Vredestein line of snow tires from Holland. anyone know anything about these? I've heard good things.

·
Registered
721 Posts
performance winters are the only option if you drive aggresively, which i hope you all do since you own an MPS. But if you are a conservative driver in the winter, an H-rated will suffice. V-rated is if you drive in the winter the way you drive in the summer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't even find a 17" steel wheel that will fit our car :( Tiretrends said they don't have any, my options would be to get a cheap 17" alloy or put 18" rubber on the stock rims.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Have you looked at the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S? They sell for $125.00 at Tire Rack, and the reviews on them have been very good. I'm thinking about using them as my year-round tire when I have to replace the Potenzas.
[/b]

those wont even come close to the performance a dedicated winter tire will give you in the snow and ice. All-seasons are mediocore at everything - good at nothing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can't even find a 17" steel wheel that will fit our car :( Tiretrends said they don't have any, my options would be to get a cheap 17" alloy or put 18" rubber on the stock rims.
[/b]
In case you haven't found one yet, just to let you know they do exist. I had no problems whatsoever in getting steelies for this car.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The graspic is a terrible winter tire for a sport oriented car. You just dont want to get those.

Bought Winter Sport M3 last winter and was really happy with them. They give up a little winter conditions capacity, but nothing compares on wet and dry, sub zero condition. 17'' of course, 18'' in winter isent a good idea... I bought a set of steel wheels from my dealer. They are the ones they use on the RX-8, 17X6.5 I think. I remember that they are narrower then you would normally want, but they do the job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts