Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to change my cabin air filter (17000miles on my car), I was going to buy it online for $21 but decided to see how much it would cost at the mazda dealer. To my surprise it was only $28, which would be around the same if you added shipping to the $21. Anyway, then I asked how much it would cost to have it changed............"$120" he said........... :shocked: To which I replied, "for the carbin air filter?", thinking perhaps he misunderstood me. "Yes, the cabin air filter." I said ok, thanks, and hung up. I still needed the part so I went to the dealer and once there I decided to ask again; couldn't help but think it was wrong. So I went into the service office where I asked both the serive guy and one of the mechanics how much this would cost. They said to one another about $30 for the part, half an hour of labor, and then the service guy turned to me and said: "you're looking at about $90." :shocked: I just turned around and left. Bought the part, took it home, and five minutes later I was done.

Stay far away from Irvine Mazda Service Department :thefing: :thefing: :thefing: :thefing: Though I'm sure all dealers are more or less like this. Which brings me to the question, where do you all take your car to be serviced (if not DIY)? I'll still take it to Irvine for stuff under warranty but for other needs I want to start taking it elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Man, i am so overdue in changing out the cabin filter in my car, in fact, im so overdue, that i can now hear the fan whistling ever so quietly when it runs on the lowest setting. I need to get my ass out there, buy this damn filter and change it out, maybe this coming Sunday after Easter breakfast.

Those dealerships, no matter where you go will give you inflated costs over the phone, its happened to me before, and then when i've gone in there its been a ten minute job. They are all about that bottom dollar.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
$90 sounds right to me? most places will not charge 1/20 of an hour labor. its 1/2 or a lot of places 1hr min.

·
Registered
905 Posts
mazda techs cost us about 90 dollars an hour. the price is about right.

Dealership service techs might as well be crooks.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I did too, thinking the instructions required it. The hardest part was reattaching it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Is the string there to hold the glove compartment in place?
[/b]
It controls how far the glove box opens, IIRC. That way it won't open too far and dump out the contents.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Similar to my experience with my wife's MPV when it was in for a recall. I bought the cabin filter from them (which ended up free after reimbursement from Mazda), and out of curiosity I asked how much for them to install. The guy told me $90 and I was shocked. I asked him "$90 to take out the glovebox?" and he tried to blow smoke and say that it was accessed from under the hood and they had to nearly take the fender off to get to it.

Needless to say I took it home and did it in about 10 mins through the glovebox. I recently changed the cabin filter on my 6 and it took all of about 2 mins now, with another 5 mins to get the little string damper back on the glovebox.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Similar to my experience with my wife's MPV when it was in for a recall. I bought the cabin filter from them (which ended up free after reimbursement from Mazda), and out of curiosity I asked how much for them to install. The guy told me $90 and I was shocked. I asked him "$90 to take out the glovebox?" and he tried to blow smoke and say that it was accessed from under the hood and they had to nearly take the fender off to get to it.

Needless to say I took it home and did it in about 10 mins through the glovebox. I recently changed the cabin filter on my 6 and it took all of about 2 mins now, with another 5 mins to get the little string damper back on the glovebox.
[/b]
$90 fpr such a simple process is just outrageous, and i'm sure they know this, which just upsets me even more. Dealers would think twice about charging this much if people would just stop taking their car in for them to service. Once my warranty has expired I never plan to go to them again! Unless for some reason I have no other choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
SLVR04M6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing