Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and before you jump on me, I HAVE researched the topic and can't find an answer.

Keep in mind, also, please, that I've only had the car for 3 days.

When I set the ACC on, it immediately defaults to the "floor" mode. When it's 19 degrees outside, like it is here in Seattle, I don't want it just on the floor; I want the air hitting me in the face as well!

I understand from previous posts that it defaults at the beginning to the floor because "heat rises..." ok...but my question is, if I leave it on the ACC setting, does it eventually push the air in to a different mode or modes?

Honestly this whole ACC feature is confusing to me and not very user friendly and has a mind of its own despite your own personal preferences. In this aspect, I miss my GTO...no automatic...just set the temp, the fan and the flow and done deal.

I'm cutting it off, for the most part, but still curious if you leave the ACC on, does the "mode" from the feet position change, and if it does, where to??

·
Registered
396 Posts
You will need to go manual if you want it in other areas. The ACC is great for maintaining the temp, but you need to scroll through the options (not sure what the button says but it is the lower half of the middle dial -- it might say "mode") until you get the arrows pointing toward the floor and the upper vents...this seems to work the best for me.

Enjoy your car!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I understand from previous posts that it defaults at the beginning to the floor because "heat rises..." ok...but my question is, if I leave it on the ACC setting, does it eventually push the air in to a different mode or modes?
[/b]
Yes, it does, once the car heats up.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,607 Posts
I'm cutting it off, for the most part, but still curious if you leave the ACC on, does the "mode" from the feet position change, and if it does, where to??
[/b]
If the car warms up enough, it'll switch from the floor to the floor/panel, then the panel itself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hm.

The old analog systems did all that and with no fiddling. I had a 70's Lincoln with ACC. There were 2 controls; 1 for temp 1 for mode. Typically one would set it to either 'low' or 'high' - those are overlapping fan speed ranges. The system did everything else, seeming to know what you wanted. They had essentially the same system since the 60's.
It seems that once engineers get something right, someone in marketing decides it has to be changed, which then starts a longer cycle of fixing what the 'improvement' broke. <grumble>

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes it will switch modes automaticaly. I've seen it start on defrost for a moment when parked outside. It will also turn on the A/C if need be.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It will not only push the heat out of the floor panels, but it will pull outside air in from the dash vents. Obviously the heat will be hotter than the outside air coming in, but this is probably to help with normal breathing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It will not only push the heat out of the floor panels, but it will pull outside air in from the dash vents. Obviously the heat will be hotter than the outside air coming in, but this is probably to help with normal breathing. [/b]
my dash vents are inside...on my dash :huh:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
my dash vents are inside...on my dash :huh:
[/b]
Ok, ok. I meant into the dash vents. It was early in the morning. I wasn't fully functioning yet.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Never use recirculate when it is below 40 degrees. It's a safety issue.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Never use recirculate when it is below 40 degrees. It's a safety issue.
[/b]
Is this info from experience? What happened?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes....just try it. It fogs the windows in seconds. Never use it. Your car will heat up just fine vented to fresh air.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this info from experience? What happened?
[/b]
I posted this in an earlier thread on defrost and recirculation. I was having trouble with the link, so just did a cut and paste.
==========================================================
"In the winter, when your windshield is cold, any moisture hitting it tends to condense, because the temperature drops below the dew point. Therefore, if the humidity inside the car is high, you will get internal condensation on the windshield, obscuring your vision. This is a safety issue. When you breathe inside the car, you add to the humidity. With the climate control on recirculate, the humidity has no place to go, so builds up, thereby increasing the risk of obscuring your vision. The longer you recirculate internal air, the more humidity increases and the more likely you will fog the windshield. If you refresh the cabin air with outside air, the evaporator coils in the A/C unit dry the air as it comes into the system. Therefore you are expelling humid air and bringing in dry air. This avoids the fogging problem altogether.

Most systems do not automatically turn on the compressor when the outside air temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. This is because heating the air to normal cabin temperatures lowers the relative humidity so that moisture which hits a cold surface will not reach the dew point and condense. If you need the defroster, just be safe and enjoy the odor. wink.gif If your windshield is not frosting up, just use the floor or dash vents. 36.gif

Additionally, most new automatic climate control systems have this same feature. The companies do it to avoid liability lawsuits. If they allowed this and your windshield fogged, causing an accident, they fear that you would hold them responsible and sue.

Hope this helps."
====================================================================

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Rain-X anti fog is the tits. BTW, I don't breathe. LOL.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rain-X anti fog is the tits. BTW, I don't breathe. LOL.
[/b]
That was good. :yesnod: I assume you also don't cause odor! ;) The original poster on the thread to which I replied had wanted to put his system on recirc while he drove through an area in New Jersey that is noted for its foul odors. If you search on the terms "condensation" and "dew point" you can find the entire thread.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yeah, I can't attest to the foul odor in New Jersey.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I believe I can attest to the fact that New Jersey is known for 3 things... not smelling so hot is one of them, but let's not forget the jughandles in the road and being the home of girls who wear giant hoop earrings :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
The ACC will disable only certain things as you change them....

1. set the ACC on, it will change all the controls automatically.
2. change the feet/face/defrost and the ACC still controls the temp and fan speed.
3. once you change the fan speed and it stops controlling alltogether and is fully manual.

If step 2 is changing the fan speed, I think it will still alter the location (feet/face/defrost) automatically also.

To get fully manual, turn it off, then change the fan speed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts