Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's Christmas and I'm posting here... oh well, I'm a little bored.

Just bought a loaded redfire 6s without the sport package. Leather, Bose, moonroof etc. This is somewhat difficult to find: most loaded s models have the sport package. I consider the package's spoiler and ground effects to be a little garish and boy-racerish, and I've been married for six years and have a kid. It doesn't really fit me. I looked at five dealerships for one without it. The redfire color is the best red I've seen on a car: it's very metallic (lots of mica) and a little orange. It's a very beautiful color and will make the car a little easier to find in the giant mall parking lots... I thought that the gray is a little too boring, the blue is way too bright and the yellow ridiculous. I liked the white and silver, but the red was easily my favorite.

I bought the car from Pugi of Chicago. For those of you that live in this area, I highly recommend this dealership. They had about 30 6 models in stock with a variety of options. Also, they were willing to negotiate. I got $1700 off of sticker, for a total of $23300. I bought a 2002 CR-V from Honda this year and they simply do not negotiate, you pay sticker. Keep this is mind if you're comparing the 6 to the Accord. Get the Mazda dealer's final price first. I consider the price I paid to be a truly an excellent deal. I got the sense that the car is simply not well known yet, not many people came in while I was there looking for it and the salesman told me that they are not selling well (!). I find this hard to believe, but there it is. Now is the time to get one of these, before the secret gets out.

I test drove the car over about 30 minutes on a curvy frontage road, stop-and-go suburban streets and a large divided highway. Suffice it to say, I was impressed. The controls are perfectly laid out. The driving position is superb. I felt comfortable in an instant. The switch-gear is something I haven't heard much about, but I think that it's best-in-class. Everything is tight and solid.

The car has that solid-as-an-iron-bridge truss feel that I remembered from my friend's Audi A6. It's wonderfully comfortable over high frequency bumps and yet can carve turns with aplomb, a rare combination. I swear I even felt some oversteer, which is rare in America and (I thought) impossible on FWD cars. This could be becuase the steering is very quick. Overall, the 6 is not quite the match of a RWD car like a 3 series, but just about as close as you can get. The engine is very willing, particularly in the higher revs, but not quite as glass-smooth and rev-happy as the current Honda V-6 (which is, IMO, the best V-6 in the world right now). The 6's engine definitely much better than the thrashy and torque-steer-ridden Altima. The brakes seemed solid, although I was taking it pretty easy so I don't have a definitive review.

Of course looks are in the eye of the beholder, but I think that this is simply the best looking car in it's class. The Honda is too Buick-like, the Altima is too trendy-looking and over-designed. I think that the Camry and Maxima are just plain ugly. The 6 has a clean, European look that I love. I hate looking at British and German car magazines and seeing the beautiful Renaults, Fiats and Citroens they get over there while we get crap like the Impala. Look at the Euro-spec Accord and you'll see what I'm talking about. The 6 begins to even the score. I particularly like the short front overhang, the narrow headlights and the creased hood. The car is distictly wedge-shaped and rises in the back.

The interior is very fashionable. I thought that the cloth looks a little tacky, so I opted for the beige leather (I think black leather is only available with the sport package). I actually prefer cloth seats (less slipping and sliding, more comfortable in the summer) but take a look at the cloth before going that route: I found the patterns to be mismatched and the material to be second-class. The leather is beautifully perforated (reminded me of my grandfather's old s-class Mercedes) and very soft. The center stack is well laid out with unfortunatly same-ish looking large control knobs (great for gloved hands) and a very cool red LED readout at the top. "Titanium" finished plastic is the main theme, along with a "carbon fiber" look insert on the passenger side. The biege interior is mostly a light tan with some putty-colored pieces. The car's interior lighting is terrific at night and the gages are very large and clear. All in all, the car's interior reminds me of (once again) an Audi A4. Panel gaps are minutes. Build quality is Honda-like, that is to say impeccable. The seats are more bolstered and "sporty" than most to be found in this class. This car holds you firmly in place, but I would not recommend it if you're a "large" person. The back seats have more room than it would seem, mostly because the front seat backs are heavily concave. The rear seats are also less bolstered than the front.

The trunk is HUGE. I've read that the design of the rear suspension allows for minimal intrusion into the trunk and it really shows. This is a Cadillac-sized trunk. It also has a great innovation: two handy, easily accessable levers that when pulled cause the rear seatbacks to flop forward. What a great idea! I hope other manufacturers take a look ath this and incorporate it into their designs. This will also be very useful when the hatch comes in next year.

Overall, I think that this is the best car (for the money) on the road today if you like spirited driving and need a four-door. It's got the right combination of practicallity and fun that I was looking for. I hope that Mazda will improve the engine a little (it's really quite good already) and improve some of the interior plastics (the compartment covers seems a little flimsy) but that's about it. I bought it ten minutes after testing it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Another new owner...'

We were looking at the Redfire at fist but then we saw the Onyx Black with gray interior...:love. After leather in the last car we deceided to go back to cloth. Leather, corners and me don't go well together.

My only wish is that it came with different tires. They are good all season tires but 205/60-16 seem to me to be a little small for a 7" rim. When winter clears I will check clearence for 225/50-16s Summer tires and move these over to a set of steel rims for winter.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Welcome here!

Great review, sad to hear that you're bored on Christmas. Hope this place make you a bit happier!!!:D

·
Registered
514 Posts

Your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask an owner with the optitron gauges.... as they light up as soon as the car is on, do you find yourself forgetting to turn on the headlights in nighttime city driving as you can see the gauges already? i know it's a silly little thing to worry about but I am concerned that it's going to be a bit too easy to forget under those conditions.

thanks for the great review,
-Alt

·
Registered
146 Posts

Well done review; you are killing me. I will be picking up my Mazda6 S in Redfire Metallic this week or early next. Ahhhhgggggg!

·
Registered
12 Posts

Optitron Gauges:
So far I dont have a problem remembering to turn the head lights on because their is a green indicator that lights up in the guage cluster if the lights are on. Since everything lights up red the green color stands out to remind you to check if your head lights are on or off.

·
Registered
468 Posts

excelent review. is yours auto or 5 speed? us chicagoans should meet up sometime soon. :) glad you like your 6!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally posted by White 6s

excelent review. is yours auto or 5 speed? us chicagoans should meet up sometime soon. :)  glad you like your 6![/b]
Auto. Wanted the manual, wife said no go... story of my life:)

She keeps "taking it for a spin" now. I should have bought a manual.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's the upgrading from Girlfriend 6.3b to Wife 1.0 that does this. It must be a Microsoft bug...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts