Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just picked up my 2006 MS6 a week from last Saturday, and I absolutely love it. I just thought I'd introduce myself to you guys as I am a DIY'er, and I'm sure I'll get a lot of info from this forum.

I'm coming from a modified '92 Mustang GT I've had for over 14 years, and I loved it. However, the handling in this car is so incredible, and I've always been more of a corners type of guy than straight line racing. The first mods I did to the Mustang were all suspension since it was so utterly terrible stock.

Anyway, I got Liquid Platinum Metallic with black leather, GT model with all options except the NAV. I've only got about 240 miles on it, so I'm still taking it easy...but it's hard. ;)

I just ordered the AutoEnginuity scan tool, USB, along with the Mazda specific upgrade. I'm also planning on doing the clutch adjustment when the weather gets a little better here in NH.

So, anyway...glad to meet you all and I look forward to posting here...and having my MS6 for as many years as the Mustang.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From another Mustang owner, Welcome! I just did the clutch adj. yesterday and it was a night/day difference.
[/b]
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I can't wait to get the scan tool and get some real time readings on the lappy...

I wonder if the seatbelt will hold it in place in the passenger seat while I take corners at high speed... ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
However, the handling in this car is so incredible, and I've always been more of a corners type of guy than straight line racing.

I'm also planning on doing the clutch adjustment when the weather gets a little better here in NH.

[/b]
Welcome to the forum; I think you'll like it here.

If you are a corners type of guy and plan to do some heel and toe shifting, give it a try before you adjust the clutch. Many of us with years of H&T, like the factory settings on the clutch. If you use your knee, rather than your ankle, to move the clutch in and out, the setting from the factory is great. After you've put it through some turns with hard braking and simultaneous downshifting, then you'll have plenty of time to adjust. Just a thought . . .

:seeya:

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum; I think you'll like it here.

If you are a corners type of guy and plan to do some heel and toe shifting, give it a try before you adjust the clutch. Many of us with years of H&T, like the factory settings on the clutch. If you use your knee, rather than your ankle, to move the clutch in and out, the setting from the factory is great. After you've put it through some turns with hard braking and simultaneous downshifting, then you'll have plenty of time to adjust. Just a thought . . .

:seeya:
[/b]
Thanks for the advice. I was actually waiting until spring to do the clutch adjust, so I can have a decent amount of experience with the stock setting. I want to have a decent point of reference to make adjustment easier. I'm actually getting adjusted to the clutch now, and I do like the high grab during quick shifts at speed, but the shifts from a start, especially the 1st to 2nd shift seems hard to get smooth without a lot of concentration. Also, I believe most clutches have a break in period anyway...

I was up in Maine yesterday visiting family, and there is an awesome road in Ogunquit that runs along the coastline, has lots of curves, and like a 25mph speed limit. It was all but deserted today...except for one silver MS6 probably not doing 25 exactly... ;)

I'm actually pretty excited to get the Autoenginuity tool and hooking it to my laptop. The sheer amount of stuff it reads and can do with the Mazda upgrade is insane...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it from and how much did it cost you?
I Live in Manchester NH, and drive a 6i.

I may change my mind when I see what it'll cost me, but I'm putting serious thought into moving up to the ms6 in the spring/summer. (got a taste of speed, and now I need more)

However, I did not have the best dealer experience here in Manchester, and I was wondering who your dealer was and if you liked them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get it from and how much did it cost you?
I Live in Manchester NH, and drive a 6i.

I may change my mind when I see what it'll cost me, but I'm putting serious thought into moving up to the ms6 in the spring/summer. (got a taste of speed, and now I need more)

However, I did not have the best dealer experience here in Manchester, and I was wondering who your dealer was and if you liked them.

Thanks
[/b]
I don't think I got as good of a deal as some of the deals I've seen, but it was decent enough for me. It's also nice in NH that we don't have sales tax...that would be a decent chunk of change. It was basically $26k for the GT with all the options except for NAV. I could have got it for $25k, but I was not financing with Mazda. I went over my budget by about $1k, but it was better than getting a 6S GT, or even worse... a G6 GTP.

I dealt with Werner Mazda on Gold Street, near the Mall of NH. I can say my experience was pretty nice, and once I told them I wasn't financing with them, they said fine, and didn't try and keep convincing me otherwise. I dealt with a female salesperson who was pretty cool, and not high pressure, and spouting a lot of crap she thought I wanted to hear. The only complaint I had was it was sometimes hard to get in touch with my sales lady or even the sales manager. After a few bounces to voicemail I mentioned I might have to go get a MS6 somewhere else if this continued, it never happened again. ;)

I had actually bought my Mustang back in '93 there, but then it was a Talarico dealership. I really liked that they hadn't really let many people test drive the vehicle. We went on about a 20 mile test drive, and it only had about 40 miles on it when I drove it. I have to take their word on this, but she said they don't let people drive them unless they think it will be a viable sale possibility. IE, no kids coming in and beating on them before they are even broken in.

One thing to keep in mind. For some reason, Mazda has dropped the warranty period on the 2007 MS6's from 4 years to 3 years...

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Welcome to the forum and what seems to be a fairly exclusive set of speed6 owners. I just took a trip to FL from CT and did not see one during the whole trip and I was looking hard. Doubled my milage in a week, but it was a decent drive in the speed6 except I would have rather had a boat for SC as the roads suck. Again welcome and maybe ill see you up in manch sometime as I have friends up there.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum and what seems to be a fairly exclusive set of speed6 owners. I just took a trip to FL from CT and did not see one during the whole trip and I was looking hard. Doubled my milage in a week, but it was a decent drive in the speed6 except I would have rather had a boat for SC as the roads suck. Again welcome and maybe ill see you up in manch sometime as I have friends up there.
[/b]
Sounds good! I just pm'ed another southern NH member here to see if he had any interest in starting a local speed 6 club. I've met one other guy who lives in town with a Velocity Red one..we exhanged numbers and I left him a message about a better price on the Magnaflow Cat-Back, but he never returned my call. I'm not sure how interested he'd be...or how many others there are in the area...

G

·
welcome! I just got a MS6 on Friday... It's my first MT car and like you said, its rough in first and second... I've finally got it smooth just having problems with hills... lol, but I love the power of the car and it looks and handles great... I was able to get a demo in perfect conidition with 6000 miles for 22k... It sure is a lot of car for the money :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
welcome! I just got a MS6 on Friday... It's my first MT car and like you said, its rough in first and second... I've finally got it smooth just having problems with hills... lol, but I love the power of the car and it looks and handles great... I was able to get a demo in perfect conidition with 6000 miles for 22k... It sure is a lot of car for the money :)
[/b]
6000 for 22k?

daaaaang, thats a little bit over considering the miles.

Anyways, welcome to the club. I myself have done the clutch adjustment and I'm going back tot he stock just because I enjoy heel to toe so much better. :welcome9:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
6000 for 22k?

daaaaang, thats a little bit over considering the miles.

Anyways, welcome to the club. I myself have done the clutch adjustment and I'm going back tot he stock just because I enjoy heel to toe so much better. :welcome9:
[/b]
You usually don't get that much off for buying a demo. Maybe 1-2k. Personally I don't think it's worth it because the car is basically used, but you start the warranty when you make the purchase. But for a used car, 1-2k off new price is not so hot.

With that being said, it was probably 23-24k new. Now if that's a GT that's not bad. If it was for a sport, that's really bad.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome drewMS6!

Yeah...I find it harder to shift quick from a stop with the clutch the way it is, but on the road at speed, it's actually easier in a way. I'm letting myself have at least a month or two of the stock clutch before I adjust it so I have a good point of reference.

Also, I think the 1-2 shift is hard to get smooth also becuse of that stock motor mount. It seems like the engine will move a bit load, and the updated mounts help a lot.

I'm amazed at how easy some things are to add on to this car.

My AutoEnginuity scan tool/data logger will be here on Wednesday...I did a fresh install of XP on my laptop and it's ready to go!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Welcome drewMS6!

Yeah...I find it harder to shift quick from a stop with the clutch the way it is, but on the road at speed, it's actually easier in a way. I'm letting myself have at least a month or two of the stock clutch before I adjust it so I have a good point of reference.

Also, I think the 1-2 shift is hard to get smooth also becuse of that stock motor mount. It seems like the engine will move a bit load, and the updated mounts help a lot.

I'm amazed at how easy some things are to add on to this car.

My AutoEnginuity scan tool/data logger will be here on Wednesday...I did a fresh install of XP on my laptop and it's ready to go!

[/b]
I hear ya. The 1-2 shift is almost always jerky for me. Same with starting from a stop. If I really slip the clutch I can get it pretty smooth at times, but then I feel like I'm wearing my clutch. :irate: Did you get a new motor mount?

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya. The 1-2 shift is almost always jerky for me. Same with starting from a stop. If I really slip the clutch I can get it pretty smooth at times, but then I feel like I'm wearing my clutch. :irate: Did you get a new motor mount? [/b]
No, I haven't, but it may be on the horizon. I'm still on my 20 day temp plates, so I have plenty of time. The only thing I picked up so far was the scan tool/data logger.

My first mods will probably be the TMIC, and the mount...not sure which one yet. I also need to pick up an AudioLink unit at some point...

G

·
You usually don't get that much off for buying a demo. Maybe 1-2k. Personally I don't think it's worth it because the car is basically used, but you start the warranty when you make the purchase. But for a used car, 1-2k off new price is not so hot.

With that being said, it was probably 23-24k new. Now if that's a GT that's not bad. If it was for a sport, that's really bad.
[/b]
Dang! I thought I got a good deal :) It is a GT though, so you saying its a bad deal and not a really bad deal makes me feel a little better.. lol... but so far no problems with it, still working on hills... other than that its going good:)

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Dang! I thought I got a good deal :) It is a GT though, so you saying its a bad deal and not a really bad deal makes me feel a little better.. lol... but so far no problems with it, still working on hills... other than that its going good:)
[/b]
Not bad in my vocabulary = pretty good. Sorry for the confusion. It's just that I'm not too keen on demos personally. I'd rather pay 1-2k more for brand new, but that's just personal preference. Your deal is still pretty good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.