Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted this mod after seeing Hytek's mod, i tried his method but couldnt find the swicth he had to place on my mod. Went to radioshack found a similar switch but it required more pressure to push it than the open cup holder was exhibiting. After giving up all hope, i saw an old computer just sitting next to me @ my job. I opened it up expecting to find a similar switch but no luck, (the computer was fairly new but old to the company) however, it had a swicth that i believed let the computer know that the case was open..

I immediately got the idea, and got to work @ the job, i went and got the cupholder out fo the car and brought it upstairs. Plan out my whole idea, and Went @ it as soon as i got home..

Here's the outcome..

[attachmentid=16007]

At first i didnt have the blue L.E.D and unlike hytek, i used a socket, instead of just the bulb. Was kinda worried about the bulb dying and not having a way to change it. Which made sense then but not now, as water i believe can seep into the socket, but its not that low to the base so maybe im just being paranoid and it should be ok..

[attachmentid=16008]

Here is my switch that i was referring to.. Just scanning the cupholder it just looked like the right place, when the cup holder is closed it pushes the switch down turning off the light..

[attachmentid=16009]

[attachmentid=16010]

Just Like Hytek I hot glued my switch and it to holds up pretty well...

[attachmentid=16011]

Another shot of the switch and my wiring set-up

[attachmentid=16012]

Here is my socket in the cupholder itself..

[attachmentid=16013]

I also used hytek's quick disconnect method shown here.

[attachmentid=16014]

Here are some more pics, in the beginning i didnt have the L.E.D i wanted so i just used an extra 194 from my parking lights..

[attachmentid=16015]

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[attachmentid=16018]

[attachmentid=16016] Off

[attachmentid=16017] On (Regular 194)

[attachmentid=16019]

[attachmentid=16020]

[attachmentid=16021]

[attachmentid=16022]

[attachmentid=16023]

cool, when I did mine, I just didn't use a switch (I couldn't find one either), so its always on. looks good!
[/b]

Thx come to think about it, it really doesnt need a switch, when the lights are on its on, i dont think i ever closed my cupholder, but when i do at least my lights will turn off :love:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Awesome idea. Now I have to try it when I get a chance. How difficult was it?

Doesn't look to hard?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome idea. Now I have to try it when I get a chance. How difficult was it?

Doesn't look to hard?
[/b]

Wasnt that difficult, its just a matter of finding your switch, once you get your switch everything else should be a cinch..

As for the socket idea, speaking to hytek he's had his l.e.d in there for a year now and its still going strong and he didnt use a socket he just hot glued the l.e.d into the cup holder..

To Each His Own...

If u need help let me or us know..

:drive: Had to throw this in there..

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Where did you find the socket?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you find the socket?
[/b]

Socket was available @ autozone for approx.. $3.24 plus $20 cash back :)

I think it was called sidemarker socket, or 194 cant find packaging...either way it hold a 194..

Hot Glue gun from 99cents Store
Some Ties from 99cents store
Quick Disconnect from TV Repair Store
Switch from Old Computer.. If your planning on doing the switch which really isnt necessary IMO your going to need something with little resistance so that the cupholder opening strenght can at least push the switch in.. I dont know the chances of you find my exact swicth but more power to you.
He used a dremmel to clear that space out, heres a "ghetto" method..

Find an ice pick or sharp pointy knife that you hardly use.. Place it on the stove (the metal park only) and let it get real hot. Mark your hole beforehand on the cupholder.. then take your hot pick/knife and slowly put into that hole the plastic will eat away move your hand in a circular motion widening your hole to your desire. with the knife your gonna have to spin the knife and go in to make a circular shape, with the pick just move it around. It wont be perfect but itll be a hole.. let the excess dry up and harden and then scrape it off (it pops right off).. voila!!

Here Hytek Switch Set-up

and his method http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...mp;hl=cupholder

Ordered white L.E.D's should be starting this mod very very soon :) thanks for the helpful pics, looks great
[/b]
By using the parking bulb the first time, i saw what it was like with a white bulb, as good as it looks, it grabs the attention of your eyes peripheral while driving. you need something a little more mellow. to blend with the dim lighting thats already in the car..

But Hey To Each His Own...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
That's really nice looking. Great work with the pix and instructions. I think I'm gonna try this one.

·
Registered
508 Posts
By using the parking bulb the first time, i saw what it was like with a white bulb, as good as it looks, it grabs the attention of your eyes peripheral while driving. you need something a little more mellow. to blend with the dim lighting thats already in the car..

But Hey To Each His Own...
[/b]

Your probably right, if its too much, i'll just take them out and use them for my parking light, maybe a blue would be fine, but the white led isn't really white, it has more of a dim icey blue hue to it, I'll post up pics on this after Im done.

·
Registered
366 Posts
This mod looks really kool and easy... maybe ill try this after getting my gaugepod, tranny cooler, reverse gauges and LED bulbs installed into my car. Nice work on the pictures and instructions. :yesnod:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your probably right, if its too much, i'll just take them out and use them for my parking light, maybe a blue would be fine, but the white led isn't really white, it has more of a dim icey blue hue to it, I'll post up pics on this after Im done.
[/b]

On second thought your probably right... Bcuz i had a Regular 194 Bulb in there it was drawing attention, but a l.e.d probably would look great. I held one of my water bottles up to different lights and its suprising they all look great red,blue,white,green, but ill stick with the blue for now since i have blue in my parking light..

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
what if your cup holders don't have a lid lol. i'm thinking of doing this mod and just drilling a small hole in my little area where the cig. lighter is. is the wiring easy enough?

·
Registered
168 Posts
what if your cup holders don't have a lid lol. i'm thinking of doing this mod and just drilling a small hole in my little area where the cig. lighter is. is the wiring easy enough?
[/b]
Yeah, wiring is very simple, just splice into one of the shifter lights. You can see my red & black wire with quick disconnects:
[attachmentid=18048]

With this setup, the cupholder light will only get power when the parking lights are on.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts