Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6 has no key hole on the passenger side! Only the driver's side. I have remote keyless entry, so it really doesn't matter anyway, but I've never seen that before. I never even noticed until today, when I went to have an extra key made and we were going to try it out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Reading Topic: Another interesting thing I just discovered...

Thats a common thing now. Almost everything from Acura down to VW deletes the P/S lock.

Must be a money saving thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I didn't know that but that's pretty cool...

·
Registered
128 Posts

Uhmmm...is that key you had made from your Mazda dealer? I was under the impression that the keys that come with the 6 are computer chipped and you cannot start the car with out a computer chipped key.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Another interesting thing I just discovered...'

Originally posted by Silver6SB

Uhmmm...is that key you had made from your Mazda dealer? I was under the impression that the keys that come with the 6 are computer chipped and you cannot start the car with out a computer chipped key.[/b]
You are correct. However, I'm a SCUBA diver and need to keep a key with me when I go in the water, so I can lock my remote in the trunk. I'll just use the copy I made to open the trunk and get my regular keys out. Incidentally, according to my dealer, not only can you not start the car without the correct key, but if you try to open the driver's door without the right key, it'll set off the alarm.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Off topic a little, but something else interesting I found yesterday - when the key is in the ignition and a door is open, you can't lock all four doors. If you hit the lock button with the ignition on and a door open, all four doors unlock. Same thing if you manually unlock one door and then try to manually lock it when it's unlatched - all four doors unlock.

Now, if the key is sitting on the seat, it'll lock. But that's the car laughing at you and calling you stupid. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts

Oh that's cool that the car has a key with the transponder. Thats a very nice safety features. Are most new cars coming out with this feature?
The Mazda6 is also making it very hard to lock yourself out. Very nice, indeed. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Most new cars in the 30K+ region, in Canadian pricing, are coming with the coded key feature. But this is also on the 6 Base which is I believe around 26K. So it's probably a near first for the part of the market.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Cool. Good info guys. I think the deletion of the passenger door lock is as much for aesthetics as for economics. Keyholes are ugly, and they get gunked up over time.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Not to burst anyone's bubble - but my '96 Dodge only had a keyhole on the driver's door.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by mazdamarla

Hmmm...I've used the PS keyhole on my current/previous cars several times.[/b]
Do you have a remote for your current car?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

Not to burst anyone's bubble - but my '96 Dodge only had a keyhole on the driver's door.[/b]
Well fine. There are some weird-ass cars that wanted to be different. There you go. But that's like the defrost line just under the wipers on the Caravan. Nothing, or very little, else has this in it's price region.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Originally posted by mazdamarla
            No, have never had a car with a remote.[/b]
Yeah, that's the point. You'll most always use the remote to unlock, so you wouldn't need to unlock with the key in the passenger door. The key hole on the driver's door is still useful, in case your remote's battery dies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts