Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
atom44wat's information is really helpful but I could not install the HID without removing the front bumper. He did an amazing job!!

So, here is an another HID conversion example.

0. I purchased a CATZ 4300K conversion kit from Litetswap.

1. Open the hood and test the new bulbs.

2. Remove two screws and two plastic snaps.

3. Remove three snaps from the tire housing.

4. Pull the rubber cover off from the bumper and remove a screw which fixes the bumper to the body.

5. Unscrew ten bolts from the bottom of bumper.

6. Lay bath-towels or a carpet on the floor to protect the bumper.
Pull the edge of bumper off from the body, both side. Be aware the bumper might fall down if it's loose.
Pull the bumper off from the center of front.

7. Unscrew three bolts of the headlight unit. these are not the adjusting screws for the light beam so don't worry! Throughout the job we don't touch the adjusting screws.

8. Open the plastic cap.

8. Make a 1-inch hole on each cap.

9. Install the bulb and clip it with a stock clip for H1 bulb and cover it.

10. I found the space for an inverter at the bottom of headlight unit, but the universal plates came with the kit did not fit. then I placed them where the photos show.

Left side igniter

Right side inverter

The HIDs are very bright but little bit yellowish than I thought.
4300K is exactly 4300K, not high, not low, not pure white.
I don't like the tinted 5500K because it's not a real light color, it's a shadow of blue tint but someone who prefer notn-yellowish color 5500K or 6500K might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: another HID installation

Oh and what material did you use to mount the inverters on, as the stock plates with the unit wouldn't fit?

And did you need anything else? Spacers to hold the bulbs in tightly?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Oh yeah heh. Isn't it a 4500K kit? They have 4500K, 5500K and 6000K listed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Kincaid,
I used a stock plate to attach to the wind-washer fluid tank bolts at the passenger side. and I used a double-sided sponge tape at the driver side. I'm not sure the tape is strong enough or not.

I did not use any spacers for the bulbs. They look very secure with the stock clips.

The manufacturer says 4300, the reseller says 4500. little bit inflated as usual.. ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts

Do you have any pics of the road lit up at night with the HIDs s the halogens (from the inside of the car, taken out)?

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
117 Posts
Replying to Topic 'another HID installation'

Tmuk, your picture #9 (the very far right one) is wierd.

Is it made from your car or somewhere else. The cap doesn't look like stock cap from halogen lamp.

Can you make a photo of how the back of the headlamp look like after installation? I'm kind of worried about the hole drilling in the lamp cap. This may draw moisture into the lamp housing and cause all kinds of problems (fog, corrosion...)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

mbd_int, take a look at pic #8 (oops, there're two #8...); the pic right above #9. The rubber cap came with HID is attached to the stock plastic cap. I also modified the photos (added "rubber cap").

Since the HID bulb is too long it's impossible without drilling the hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

you guys need to reload this page to see the modified photos if you have ever seen this page recently.

·
Registered
653 Posts

tmuk.. thanks for the pics! I will use them on our site!

As far as the slight yellow... check back in about 60 hours of use... it needs time to "burn in".

·
Registered
653 Posts

yea.. I realized that after I posted :) so I deleted it... I still can't believe no one has been able to check to see if there is a DRL fuse or not....

tmuk... can you check your owner's manual and see if there is a fuse location for DRL? even though it might not be used on your car?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Next week I'm having a go at one at the dealer anyways. Just to play around with the DRL's. I'm almost positive that it's a fuse as it wouldn't be economical to change anything other than that between the US and CAN models in regards to DRLs.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts

Congratulations on the new lights! Looks good! Thanks for the compliment, if anyone has questions let me know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replying to Topic 'another HID installation'

atom44wat, thanks again! Since you did a conversion successfully and uploaded a lot of photos here, I could decide to get it and install it.

Eric, you can use my photos on your site.
And I check my owner's manual but I could not find a fuse for DRL.

here are links for the scanned pages.

Owner's Manual Page 8-37
Owner's Manual Page 8-38
Owner's Manual Page 8-39

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'another HID installation'

Hey thanks for scanning that. I would hazard a guess that the DRL's are on one of the unused circuits in the US model. You'll notice that there are a few unused places on the board.

I'll check in a Canadian model when I'm out there this week or early next. But thanks for scanning. Gives an idea as of what I'm looking for ahead of time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'another HID installation'

he went to a lot of trouble removing the bumper for nothing.....I did mine without removing it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts