Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is fact that work on a new RX7 has started. Exactly as I suspected, it is rumored to go into production if the RX8 is a success.

details at RotaryNews.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Another Happy Dance'

The RX-7 wouldn't be the only car where all the blueprints have been ready but then finally didn't make it into production.

Rumors going around now say Mazda will not "produce" an RX-7 until/unless the RX-8 is a financial success.[/b]
When will you know if the RX-8 a success? After 1 year, after 2 or 3 years? It's not even on the market yet. After all the RX-7 would be a competitor within the same house. ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't think the RX7 will compete with the RX8 - at all. An RX7 would surely be smaller, 2 seats, and lighter. There is a place for both (in my driveway!) It would be like saying the Miata will steal RX8 sales.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

I don't have a driveway but one would fit into my garage and the other one in front of my appartment. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'A

Here's your happy dance :D

Gay as a goose!

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

It's all about how customers will see the RX7 and the RX8. Do they consider the RX 8 to be a 2+2, a 2 seater with a larger trunk (the back seats) or a coupe? If they believe that the RX8 won't give them more than the RX7 (power, handling, space) they are competitors indeed.

Then there is still the question, if the market is big enough for two rotary engines...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Is that "gay" as in happy, or "gay" as in...

Interesting point...can the market handle two rotaries...

But I think that once the RX8 is revealed, it will clearly be in a different class. A class to compete with the BMW 3 series, for example, and any other high-performance compact sedan or sports coupe (such as the RSX, WRX, et. al.). Think about it, the RX8 can steal sales from both markets, but not as much from sports cars such as the 350Z. For that, we must unleash the RX8! (or at least spidey...)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That's "gay" as in "gay"...:sarc (but happy nonetheless):D

I think Mazda should be REAL careful before getting too many sports cars out there. They have to segmentize the market with extreme precaution, and pick their products accordingly.

A new RX-7, the RX-8 AND the Miata could be one car too many. But it is very likely that they did their marketing homework and that they have specified different target groups for those different vehicles. That's what I think.

And I as a Mazda fan (but not -anatic) definitely like it better the more different models they come up with. There are no ugly Mazdas in recent years. Mazda design rules.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

A new RX7 could be a Boxter / S2000 / 350Z killer. Well, maybe the Porsche market would be a tough one, but it would be a head-to-head competitor for cars such as the Z. I don't think they'd compete with each other:

Miata: reasonable convertible
RX8: high-performance coupe
RX7: pure sports car

There would be room enough for each in my driveway. :sarc

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

There would be room enough for each in my driveway.[/b]
Yep, but there isn't enough room for me in the miata :p . I'm 1,86m / 6'1" and I can't push the clutch or the brakes without hitting my knees on the steering wheel. I feel like sitting in a gynecologist's chair in that car. :D I'm not a girl, I don't need that :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Driver6-Look out for the speculum!
I think the RX-7's market niche will depend on its performance/pricing. If it's 350hp and $40,000 it will have a very limited market, but not steal sales from the RX-8. If it's 280hp and $23,000 then you may have some RX-8 or even some Miata buyers thinking about it. I would think it would be best as a high end halo car for Mazda to try to break into a higher market niche. But of course history has already shown that there aren't that many people interested in a $40,000 Mazda. Have times changed with the Gran Turismo generation? I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well said, Kenoka.

I've seen a few new Z's around here already, so I'll stick with that price point. Let's say the RX7 comes in at about $30K. Maybe slightly higher than the RX8 (as the RX8 pricing is not yet determined, but that's where I see it's success); but that would put all three cars in a unique market.

To clarify:
1. Miata: up to $25,000. Puts it in an affordable performance car market, and makes a reasonable, fun convertible. Wins the market hands down.

2. RX8: starts at low-to-mid 20's, and goes into upper 20's. This will slam all sport coupe markets: The RSX, Celica, you name it. Anyone looking for an inexpensive coupe who is serious about performance will be willing to spend a few more bucks for the extreme performance of the RX8. People who are looking at BMW 3-series' and G35's may also be wooed away by a slightly-cheaper high-performance version of the RX8.

3. RX7: Go around $30. Would directly compete with the Z, and anyone else who wants a practically-priced true sportscar. Have a convertible for around $35,000 to compete with the Boxter, the TT, etc. This spaces the RX7 far enough away from the Miata. While the Miata may take some S2000 sales (Miata people and S2000 people are a different breed); the RX7 convertible would be poised to more directly compete with the Honda.

Damn, I should work for Mazda. :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

2. RX8: starts at low-to-mid 20's, and goes into upper 20's. This will slam all sport coupe markets: The RSX, Celica, you name it. Anyone looking for an inexpensive coupe who is serious about performance will be willing to spend a few more bucks for the extreme performance of the RX8. People who are looking at BMW 3-series' and G35's may also be wooed away by a slightly-cheaper high-performance version of the RX8.[/b]
Uh.....no. Both RX-8 (192 and 240hp) are competitors for the:

- Nissan 350Z
- Audi TT
- Peugeot 406 Coupe 3.0
- BMW 325Ci

And later and/or in America the Infiniti G35 SC and Chrysler Crossfire

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I don't see it that way. There's two major differences between the RX8 and the 350Z/TT: SEATS! The RX8 may steal some sales from those markets, but it is not direct competition.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

The RX-8 is a different car, yeah. But it does compete with the 350Z and TT: price and speed. The RX-8 is a sportscoupe (not a sports sedan!!!); but with more room

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Speaking of the Nissan 350Z, it looks great, has a lot of power, but why should I buy a car where you can't almost get any extras? It's a driving machine and for this purpose it's absolutely fine. For real life or everyday life I expect something else from a car. At least some amenities (e.g. air condition, power windows, nav system) would be fine.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

but why should I buy a car where you can't almost get any extras?[/b]
That's one more Lotus Elise for me then...If it ever gets here. :sarc

Speed does not a competitor make. Price...you'd be a little more convincing here. But I still see the RX8 as a coupe. The 350Z is not a coupe per se, it is a GT car, or sports car as many would agree. Without cutting hairs about the Z, the TT (how can the TT be a sports car when it's WWD?); they are two seaters. Surely just this fact alone puts them into a differrent market than a 4-seater.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Price is important, I agree. At least over here in Germany quality is important as well. It's funny that the majority will choose image over quality. Otherwise it can't be explained that so many people prefer way more expensive cars over those at a reasonable price. Posers!

No but seriously. Everyone should buy what he/she likes best. It's just a matter of if you want to impress with the car or if the car should impress you... ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts