Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, sometimes my car would make a moaning noise from the rear, I thought something was going weird with my fuel pump. So I took it in, and sure enough they said they were going to replace the fuel pump. After they did this, my fuel gauge was off, like it basically wouldn't go any higher than 3/4 a tank. I have been waiting to take it to a dealer, and finally this month I needed an inspection anyway, so I took up to a different dealer (since I moved since I bought my 6) and these guys are replacing the fuel pump again!

Has anyone else had issues with fuel pumps on their 6's? Just kind of weird I thought to get 2 bad fuel pumps... :huh:

on a side note .... I'm driving a Dodge Stratus rental :drive: BLECH.. horrible car! :sarc:

·
Registered
123 Posts
My fuel pump makes that groaning noise every so slightly. Im wondering if its even wroth replacing it, my car is still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
The fuel pump they are using in the 6 was a bad design when they first put it in the returnless fuel system Contour, it uses a small strainer disc on the fuel pump inlet that gets clogged quite easily and stops up the pump, burning it up. The disc clogs up quicker when you constantly let the tank get below 1/4 of a tank and especially if your driving until the gas light comes on. The disc is removable, but won't be removed by the dealership under a warranty repair.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fuel pump makes that groaning noise every so slightly. Im wondering if its even wroth replacing it, my car is still under warranty.
[/b]
That's why I originally took mine in Juslen, as long as it can make the sound while you're there, I'd say have them replace it :)

84FordMan: So this noise we are hearing is most likely the fuel pump actually dying? IE it is in the process of burning up?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a similar prob one month after buying my 06 i. a pressure valve and vent tube turned the cel on.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That kind of sucks, I got my baby back today, and when I turn the key to the "On" position now before starting, the fuel pump sounds a lot different, I do think healthier as well ;)

Mine never threw a CEL fortunatly... I woulda thought it was my intake first :rolleyes: Glad it wasn't :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
My fuel pump would make noise on an initial warm restart, but if you turned it off and back on it would go away. Replaced under warranty last month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replaced my fuel pump after 16,000 km's under warranty. The noise got so bad my ears were ringing it was such a loud pitch. Well that was back in march 05. Guess what, the noise has now returned and is ruining my gas mileage. Funny how it happens around the same time, it is obviously brought on by the cold. We just had the coldest Feb since 79. but now I am completly past my warranty, I have 110,000 kms. They want about $600 to replace it now, the noise is loud and if I turn the car on and off it goes away for a little while. Does anyone know how a recall starts?

·
Registered
728 Posts
hye just wanted to ask...im at 61k miles...just had my fuel pump replace....now my guage doesn't go all the way up and i think im getting worse gas mileage...what gives????

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hye just wanted to ask...im at 61k miles...just had my fuel pump replace....now my guage doesn't go all the way up and i think im getting worse gas mileage...what gives????[/b]
Hey tskelton when they replaced mine the second time my gauge only went just a little above the 3/4 mark, it never went back up to full! I took it up there and complained and they fixed it, can't remember exactly what they did. But if you had it replaced, I'd take it back to the place that installed it and tell them your gauge doesn't go all the way up, whatever does the gauge is in the pump too I believe.

I'm not sure about gas mileage... mine has been just about the same through all 3 pumps :p

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have had that problem since last winter.. it's annoying. They even told me what the problem was at the dealer. They said they see it alot.

Problem is. It NEVER makes the damn noise for them so they refuse to touch it or even inspect it to see if it's working. and I am at 45k miles. So odds are I'm stuck paying for it myself unless I can get lucky enough to take it in and have a tech actually hear it so they will touch it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had this problem for about 2 years before one of the dealerships actually agreed to replacing it. It was louder and would happen more often in the cold... just got it replaced a month or so ago, and i finally have blissful silence... i'm hoping this one wont go bad, so i'm trying to keep my tank above 1/2 as much as possible..

·
Registered
728 Posts
I want to take it back to the dealership and have it fixed however i don't want to be without my car again...how long should it take them to fix? im pretty sure the fuel pump and sender unit are both replace with this...is it something wrong with the part or did they botch the install or what?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts