Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow 6 lovers,

The ones of you that already own the car.... just a little question.

I normally always remove my seatbelt when doing parallel parking. However as soon as you go over 8km/an hour, in my car an annoying buzzer starts to beep and buzz 2 minutes until it finally shuts up.

Is there anyone out there that was bugged long enough with it and found a solution, without putting a coin or anything in the lock/unlock mechanism?

Surely it has to be possible to shut that stupid "I know what is best for you" system up?

Other than that the car is just perfect.

Off to bed now.

Panther

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Annoying buzzer when safety belt is removed'

Did you check the owners manual? Frequently there is a (sometimes bizzare) sequence of clipping, unclipping, turning keys, and/or pushing buttons that will disable the warning.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

There is no way to turn that thingie off, but it's not difficult to kill it anyway. This system was originally invented by Volvo (the inventors of the safety belt). I've had plenty of those in my youth.

In order to minimize cable amount, the cable to your safety belt clip is grounded when you put the belt in there. So you would probably just have to unscrew it and ground it directly to kill the buzz.

Just make sure that my presumption is really true. If there are TWO cables going in there, then they probably has to be shorted to have the same effect. But I doubt that, since the beancounters probably would have questioned the reason for two cables when one is really all that is needed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi Steve and thanks for the info.

Going to try looking for that ground wire but not now, it's getting too dark already.

Will keep you posted on the progress.

Panther

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Originally posted by junkan

Is it really safe to mess with this.[/b]

Good question Junkan,

I have discussed it with my dealer as well and they are just too affraid to not even look at the way it is designed. I guess we are coming down to American hysteria here in Europe as well.

I will be careful just taking a peak trying to find that groundwire that Steve was mentioning about.

Laterz,

Panther

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, it's safe. Just make sure you do not mess with the wires going to the airbag in the seats. You wouldn't want to mess with those!

(Remember that the force in an airbag equals the force in a hand granade...):sarc

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Yes, it's safe. Just make sure you do not mess with the wires going to the airbag in the seats. You wouldn't want to mess with those!

(Remember that the force in an airbag equals the force in a hand granade...):sarc[/b]
ROFL Steve,

Well at least it will be a cheap way to get a sunroof added instantly to our Mazda 6's or??

:p

Panther

·
Registered
350 Posts

(Remember that the force in an airbag equals the force in a hand granade...):sarc[/b]
It's pretty much electronics and stuff involving seat belts as well.
In case of an emergency the belts will tighten with an belt retracting mechanism involvong gunpowder so I wouldn't mess with that system either!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by ^Panther^

ROFL Steve,

Well at least it will be a cheap way to get a sunroof added instantly to our Mazda 6's or??

:p

Panther[/b][/quote]

Well...cab rather...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by junkan
It's pretty much electronics and stuff involving seat belts as well.
In case of an emergency the belts will tighten with an belt retracting mechanism involvong gunpowder so I wouldn't mess with that system either![/b]
No, Junkan, you are messing things up here.

The seatbelt pre-tensioners are mounted in the side panels, where the belt roll is mounted. And the signal cable that engages those are hidden under the threshold somewhere.

The fasten-seatbelt warning sign/buzz is a simple system that detects only if the seatbelt is fastened. And that is done by grounding a wire.

A common way to kill the buzz off is to fasten the seatbelt behind your back...that's perhaps the easy way. But then again...you loose the protection the belt offers.

·
Registered
350 Posts

They are as you say not placed in the fastener but there is one other factor here and that is load limiter that slackens the belt if too heavy load is exposed to chest.

I don't know how that works but it could be placed in the seat-belt fastener.

Maybe it is a mechanical system?

So bad isn't the sound, you should be able to live with it, if it saves one life it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

No, the seat pre-tensioner is in the panel where the belt is rolling in. There is no part of this system in the centre-console where the clip is...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hi Steve and Junkan,

Junkan I am not talking about NEVER wearing seat belts. I ALWAYS wear them but when you have to park in driving backwards I normally remove the belt because you can turn around and move more freely.

I hate that nose because it is distracting you when you are trying to concentrate when trying to park in backwards.

It is not that I hear that sound all the time.

But it would be nice to find a solution for it and it looks to me like Steve gave the answer.

Panther

·
Registered
350 Posts

Panther, if you find the buzzer, it probably have a hole, if you attach some tape ower the hole the sound will most likely be so low that it ain't a problem anymore.
Safe and simple.

And Steve did you really read the articles?
In Mazdas case you're probably right but BMW have the pre-tensioners in some models at the buckle:

This is the roto tensioner as you Steve say is the case in Mazda6 (I don't know):

This is the load limiter:

A little question I don't have an answer to:
If you do like Steve say, the car think the belt is fastened in case of a crash and the pre-tensioner will go off when the seatbelt is fylly retracted, what will happen with the belt holder in B-pillar?
(I think nothing but how strong is the charge)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, Junkan, I've read the articles. But I happen to have seen pics of the belt pre-tensioners in the Mazda6. And it's not in the clip...
About the other question: Yes, it will likely go off, but the charge is no way near the strenght of the airbag charge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.