Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as requested. i have posted some pics

originally i wasn't happy with the oem projectors although many of you maybe.

first thing i wanted to do was change up the headlights a little bit. i decided to black em out, put audi leds, and change up the turn signals.

pics below.

oem pic:

stage one:

i decided, partly because the blue leds fell off, that it was a little bit too much and got rid of em.

so we have this

another pic of audi leds:

i'd like to take this time to take craig and maxpowercustoms.com for his incredible work on painting the lights, changing up the turn signal and installing both the blue demon eyes (2 pics above) and of course the audi leds.

// end part 1!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:

after that i decided i to take it up a notch as well. i wasn't really happy with the oem projectors as stated above and i hated the fact the high beams sucked. lol on my previous car i had bi-xenon projectors, which for those who don't know, one projector and when you turn the high beams on a flap opens in the projector opening the entire lens up, hence high beam. whereas on the Mazda the high beam projector was separate and my stupidity for putting hids in it. Basically by having hids in the projectors, if i needed to high beam someone it would take 10-15 seconds for the bulbs and ballast to turn on. So i contacted my buddy at customlightz.com (bjorn) to see what we could come up with. He suggested doing a retrofit in which i would have better light output, a much much much sharper cutoff and have the ability of a bi-xenon projectors where my low beams were. shortly, after this we decided that i'm crazy and decided i needed more than just the ordinary bi-xenons (hella bright for 90% of us out there)... what can i say i'm special. soo without further ado.... i present the first and maybe last 09 mazda 6 with a quad setup.. True quad setup refers to 4 projectors in the headlights.

stage two:

and since thats more than enough for 99.9% of the people out there. i'll leave it at that.

--------------------------------------

just kidding, like i said i'm special.

i decided to upgrade the fog lights to projectors as well

sooo the only mazda 6 with 6 projectors!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

again shoutout go to craig at (MaxPower) and bjorn at (Custom Lightz)

soo what ya think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
That looks like a massive amount of work. I'm not sure the quad projector look is really my cup of tea, but I can definitely appreciate the work done, and I'm sure the increased light output is an added bonus!

I do like the blacked out headlights, and I'm curious as to how the turn signal mod has worked out for you. Does it show up clearly with the low-beams on?

Nice touch on the projector fogs as well. Does this make modification make the fogs an actual usable light source and not just the aesthetic add on that most fog lights seem to be?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was a incredible amount of work but to each there own. i absolutely love it. with the quad projectors i have 4 very very sharp cutoffs. i have it wired to a toggle switch so i can decided when i want the audi leds on and another switch to when i want the quad-setup running.

the turn signals show up very clearly and IMO are brighter than oems although they are thinner. i've had absoutely no problem and i've had them for about 9 months now as you can see from the time stamps.

the projectors in the fogs are very nice, they are literally like mini projectors and are very wide. best of all they actually have a cut off as well. again, i wired this to my sidemarkers so that i can have parking lights (including turns) and fogs on at one time. it looks like a beast coming down the road when its turning dark. the fogs are 6000k d2s bulbs as well.

thanks for looking man. appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
144 Posts
+1 to you, indeed!

I'm toying around with the idea of connecting my fogs to my side markers so they can run independent of my headlights. You may have inspired me to do something about it!

It's definitely nice to see another 2nd Gen doing something creative with their car. I'll definitely give it to you, your projects are far more involved than mine!

I've recently caught the audio bug... I need to start saving up some money!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm toying around with the idea of connecting my fogs to my side markers so they can run independent of my headlights. You may have inspired me to do something about it!
well also let me mention i did buy another pair of headlights that are oem for down the line selling the car, or for whatever (not planning anything of the sort)... i was able to find both headlights from a totaled car dont ask how for $150 shipped from Utah, i'm in NJ. so shipping was $40 of it anyways! no scratches, absolutely perfect condition, no broken tabs etc.

the idea of connect the fogs to the sidemarkers are very very simple its literally cutting 2 wires and attaching them to the sidemarkers, that way you can turn on the fogs when the parking lights are on..

and you might not want to get caught up on the audio bug, i did and thus far its the most expensive thing i've done... if your looking for higher end audio stuff lemme know i can set you up with a guy who is very well knowledgeable and incredible fair priced.

take a look at my audio from my sig if you'd like.

if you need any help with anything let me know. i'm hoping the 09-10 mazda 6 community comes in by the thousands. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
the idea of connect the fogs to the sidemarkers are very very simple its literally cutting 2 wires and attaching them to the sidemarkers, that way you can turn on the fogs when the parking lights are on..
After seeing the wiring for the fogs when I installed my HIDs, it seems like connecting to the side markers would be incredibly easy. Maybe once it warms up enough!

Thanks for the offer on the audio stuff... right now, I'm looking at $3,500 worth of equipment and install costs. Expensive hobby is right!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After seeing the wiring for the fogs when I installed my HIDs, it seems like connecting to the side markers would be incredibly easy. Maybe once it warms up enough!

Thanks for the offer on the audio stuff... right now, I'm looking at $3,500 worth of equipment and install costs. Expensive hobby is right!
thats nearly the cost of my equipment. like i said if you want someone to help guide you or possibly get you a good deal. let me know. obviously he has a professional shop and was actually voted within the top 100 installers & reps within the US.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I really like the orange strip light! very cool to see some mod son gen2!

For the fog wiring, you should use a relay so the sidemarker will make the fogs light up. he sidemarker use tinny bulbs, you can't connect fogs directly on the sidemarker circuit, use a relay and a fuse.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Very cool mods here Ankit. Wish I could get a set of headlights to experiment with but they cost like $700 each from Mazda. lol
Hmm, do you have a source for the orange strip light?

~Mike

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i bought a replacement xenon headlights from a junkyard as stated above. supringsly i was able to get them for $150 shipped! FOR THE PAIR!

amazing deal nonetheless. so i'd say try looking for junkyards ones if you'd like mike.

i can find out about the orange strip although you could email craig and he'd prolly be able to help you better than me..

and thanks for the comments. means alot

·
Registered
118 Posts
WOW! Very cool and way to get the job done for us 2nd gen's to keep paving the way! I still haven't gotten the HID fog's in yet but I'm hoping tomorrow or this week still. What'd you have to buy and mod to get d2s's none the less and projectors into the fogs? Major mods? Again, great job man and loving the orange turn strip too!

- Applause in the background -

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! Very cool and way to get the job done for us 2nd gen's to keep paving the way! I still haven't gotten the HID fog's in yet but I'm hoping tomorrow or this week still. What'd you have to buy and mod to get d2s's none the less and projectors into the fogs? Major mods? Again, great job man and loving the orange turn strip too!

- Applause in the background -
thanks so much man. i know i'm a little insane and over the top but if nothing else is available its time to get creative :)

the fogs are a little bit tough, the glass portion is held on by permanent glue and damn near impossible to get it off without it breaking so i wouldn't recommend that. basically the fogs found here not bad for $30-40 or so and then its just labor, bascially the back of the projector housing needs to be cut apart and the projector needs to be glued into place. it is challenging but not impossible. and the results speak for themselves. hopefully this week when all this crappy snow melts ill go out and shoot some pics of the cut-offs and updated car pics. as you can see from the timestamps i've had this setup for a good 7+ months now so i've updated a few things since then. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
For sure, no I'm completely loving the dedication to the new ride. Suckin' nuts on the trunk light, haha very nice descriptor indeed. I have to get my stuff updated too but damn snow I'm tellin ya. Look for my new stuff as I get it up, I'm thinking asap tinted side markers or something, just done with the orange. Keep up the great work, it's paying off!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was going to paint my sidemarkes white to match the car but got to lazy. i ordered another set of sidemarkers for play, cost was like $5 so it wasnt a big deal. i tried to take em apart but couldnt get it apart. :-( may have to send it to one of my headlight guys and ask them for advise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOWIE!!! Those Quads look amazing! Absolutely love it! And the fogs are just icing on the cake! How do us normal folk get our grimey hands on some?...

Savicbo

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There were some hl on cl for a while for $80 for the pair. I really like the oem set-up though, so I don't think much about changing them. I like your fog light setup though. I may look into that.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There were some hl on cl for a while for $80 for the pair. I really like the oem set-up though, so I don't think much about changing them. I like your fog light setup though. I may look into that.
xenon or halogen for $80?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
they're were there many months ago. i kept thinking "who wrecked their new ride already?" and they were the xenon.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they're were there many months ago. i kept thinking "who wrecked their new ride already?" and they were the xenon.
wow nice. ya i thought the same thing, "who crashed there new ride already!!"

1 - 20 of 47 Posts