Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a brief search, has anyone been able or tried to add some on their Speed6, I remember reading something about the HID ballasts being damaged if they were to be baked or something of the sort.

I had them on my old 6i, sorta miss them.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I had it on mine and I am sure there are tons of others have them on too. Due to the ballast, I undo the headlight with a hair blower instead of using baking just for safe.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
wow....

that looks really fucking good..... lol great job on that...

-Adeel

·
Registered
40 Posts
is it just me, or is that unlit spot in the headlights not assigned to anything? I tried parking lights, fog lights, headlights, high beams, turns signals and hazard lights and nothing seems to turn them on. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
M6Gr8, that does look awesome. Looks like you put in HID driving lights as well or are those just really well matched bulb replacements? Did you do anything with your high beams? :cheers:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
M6Gr8, that does look awesome. Looks like you put in HID driving lights as well or are those just really well matched bulb replacements? Did you do anything with your high beams? :cheers:
[/b]
Thanks. I am still thinking of what to do with the highbeams, May be HID kit :)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
HID hi-beams are a bad idea generally. If you're ever one to flash your hi's at someone you can't do it anymore. It'd be very bad for the ballast.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Looks good - where'd you get 'em?

I don't think occasionally flashing HID high beams will shorten their lifespan much. Here in the states, flashing your highbeams at somebody doesn't have the same meaning as it does overseas.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long did it take with a hair dryer? Did you do section by section and pryed it open, or did you do the whole unit and then took it off all at once?

I imagine that took an increadibly long time with a hair dryer haha.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
is it just me, or is that unlit spot in the headlights not assigned to anything? I tried parking lights, fog lights, headlights, high beams, turns signals and hazard lights and nothing seems to turn them on. Any thoughts?
[/b]
That's where the factory fogs go on regular 6's.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
How long did it take with a hair dryer? Did you do section by section and pryed it open, or did you do the whole unit and then took it off all at once?

I imagine that took an increadibly long time with a hair dryer haha.
[/b]
I wrote a little "HOW-TO" on this thread here and hope it shows you some ideas :
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...31516&st=30

Basicly with the hairdryer, you may need a helping hand as one is holding the dryer aiming at the seal and one is trying to split the seal apart with both hands ( I would refrain from using something to prise them apart as they may leave marks on the seal or the area surrounding it). But after enough heating up, the seal will be soften enough for you to seperate them. Patience is the mainthing with this mod :) I found working one section at a time and once you start seperating one part, then the rest will come apart with ease.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm nice write up, I've done it twice on my 6i and was a hassle.

I noticed you didn't put it on the low beam any reason why you didn't?

The style is different than the ones I used, I guess I had ver. 1. Can those things fit on the lows pretty well?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The reason I didn't put on the lowbeam is that once it is on, the halos effect can not be seen anymore. The small ring should fit either one of the smaller openings. The later version seems to be easier to work on from the reports from ppl who have done both versions.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The reason I didn't put on the lowbeam is that once it is on, the halos effect can not be seen anymore. The small ring should fit either one of the smaller openings. The later version seems to be easier to work on from the reports from ppl who have done both versions.
[/b]
Could you tell me what bulbs you have all around (low beam, lower fogs etc..) and how the angel eyes match with the oem hid's?

·
Registered
275 Posts
How long will those halo's last before needing to be replaced. The last thing I would want to do is to have to repeat the install in 50k.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
How long will those halo's last before needing to be replaced. The last thing I would want to do is to have to repeat the install in 50k.
[/b]
They typically last for 20000 hours. So, if you drove 4 hours a day, 365 days a year, they'd last over 13 years. We very, very rarely experience bulb failures. Most of the failures reported are caused by the inverter failing, which is much easier to fix. Our kits have a lifetime warranty, so if your inverter or bulb did fail at any given point, it would be replaced for free.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tip... buy a set of used housing on eBay and use that as your ginuea pig. Don't touch your original housing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do they even have the HID housings on ebay? haha.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Could you tell me what bulbs you have all around (low beam, lower fogs etc..) and how the angel eyes match with the oem hid's?
[/b]
The lowbeam HID bulb has been changed to XTec 6000K and the Fog is changed to a HID kit with 6000K bulb as well. I think with the stock HID bulb, it will be a bit yellowish comparing to the angle light's. But while you are doing the DDE mod, might as well change the bulb if money isn't an issue :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts