Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I wanted to share my experience installing a 10.1-inch Android head-unit from Seicane into my '09 6s GT. I purchased this unit on January 1st and while the site said it would ship in 5 days, it actually shipped on the 10th. It arrived in Carbondale, IL on the 11th just after noon.
This unit is Model H211K (there are 3 listings for the same unit for some reason). Link
I had previously created my own Android head-unit using a Nexus 7 tablet and Timer's Kernel, but something with the way I had it wired to the car was killing my battery if I didn't start the car every day. When I decided to investigate these head-units again and found this 10-inch screen, I was sold. I still did my research, watching Youtube videos of similar units before I made an order.
I'm not going to do a step-by-step or anything. If you have questions about it, I'll try my best to answer.
Just a few notes... It doesn't have LTE like I had with my Nexus tablet but I've been using my phone as a hotspot. Don't bother with the 4G dongle they sell if you're using Verizon, it wont work. I can't get my phone to automatically turn on the hotspot so i'm thinking about getting a Verizon Hum or similar hotspot device so it's on when the car is on.
If you have the Bose amplifier, you need to tie the loose AMP wire from the head-unit connector to the loose ANT wire on the orange Mazda connector. You'll also need to change the volume settings in the System settings because the amplifier makes the unit WAY too loud. (I'm wondering if I need to modify the harness and tie in the RCA outputs to the audio lines that go to the amp?)

~Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm how hard was that to do? I'm running a 09' 6 GT currently and looking to spiff it up a little. New baby means no new car for me :(

Did you have any video walkthroughs I could check out?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Android unit is pretty much plug and play depending on what options you want to include (backup camera, microphone, digital TV, etc) which plug into different connectors on the A/V harness. I added the powered microphone I already had installed in my car and will add a backup camera in the near future.

I always hated the stock NAV my car came with and how expensive the update discs were. Browsing through the music on my ipod was a nightmare. Now I have the freedom to customize just about everything and there are SO many music options (Pandora, Google Music, Spotify, iHeartRadio). I think I can even plug in my ipod and play music from it. If you don't have an old ipod, it will also play music from a thumbdrive or bluetooth from your phone.

I'm looking for a mobile hotspot option because it sucks having to enable my phones hotspot every time I get in the car (and the apps I've tried to automate that don't seem to work, and I would need to root my phone to get Tasker to do it).

~Mike

edit: Didn't think that would embed the video. It's NOT my video, just a random one that explained the process well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the fuel computer is actually in the cluster and still displays all the information it previously did while stock. The only weird thing about that is that the head-unit doesn't seem to be able to set the time in the car. You can set the time in Android and have it auto-update the time but there doesn't seem to be any way to change it in the dashboard LCD display (despite the description mentioning you can).

I think I'll contact Seicane and ask about it.

~Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts