Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just completed the Android Auto update for my 2016 Mazda 6 Touring 6MT. Plugged in my phone, and got some unexpected results. At first, the acknowledge screen for Android on the Connect screen went by so fast I couldn't hit Agree. After a phone restart and a car restart, I believe I got past that and my phone now connects and runs AA. I got into the AA navigation and entered a destination and started driving. In the meantime, I had switched the audio over to "USBx - Android Auto". AA politely started Pandora for me, so I paused it and went back to the AA nav screen. Here's the issue: everytime AA gives me a turn, it switches back to FM and shows the Mazda FM audio display. I have to go back to AA, set the audio back to AA, pause Pandora, and go back to the Nav display all manually. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Is it just me, or am I doing something wrong?

Please help! Thanks. I did search first, there is way too much stuff everywhere about AA and I didn't see this particular issue.

Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
A few years and multiple cars with android auto, including 2 mazdas, and I've never had that happen to me.

Can you try with another phone try and pin down if it's the pone or the car?

Have another cable you can try?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's good to know there is hope that this will eventually work. I have a Sony radio I put in my Ford Ranger that doesn't connect well, I have to reset my phone almost every time to get it to connect. Today I did manage to use the AA Navigation, and even got Pandora running along with it and had no interference from the Mazda Connect radio breaking in. Thanks for the suggestions.
Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
+1 on the cable: make sure it is a good quality USB cable. It could be a quick interruption in the connection that is causing the system to jump back to the radio/factory entertainment source.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using an AmazonBasics cable, which is one of the recommended cables. Anyway, I have excellent news, Android Auto is now working like a charm! In fact, over the last couple days I took two trips with it, enjoying the navigation, Pandora radio, and even the occasional text message. Today, it updated to the new version, which seems fine.

One thing i havent figured out yet is how to change Pandora stations through AA, cant seem to access the station list, but i havent tried it in the new version yet.

The install went fine and took me a couple hours. I could do it again much faster. I would recommend wrapping from each end of the cable before starting the install, and make sure to get the end that plugs in to the back of the CMU sorted out before snaking it up there, i had to do a do-over. If one had a careful, respectful, and experienced Mazda tech do it, it would be less traumatic, but i didnt damage anything, and i dont necessarily know such a tech.

Anyway, highly recomended!

Jim

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thank you for updating the thread.

And thank you for the suggestion about the cable.

I plan to use the "hack version" as it gives you more flexibility, allegedly. I don't know as I haven't seen one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts