Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly Android Auto is getting a significant update later this summer, which entails a big change in the interface. Because Mazda forces use of the Commander to navigate Android Auto nearly all the time, I'm wondering if anything will "break" once this update happens, because if Mazda's unique non-touch AA interface.

For example, currently in Waze I cannot zoom in and out of the map because the little on-screen zoom icons can not be selected by the Commander and I haven't figured out another way to zoom out. Kind of frustrating because it's right there on screen yet Mazda has made the decision for me that I can't touch the screen!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was actually hoping for the opposite, and that the changes in the interface would allow for the commander knob and touch screen to work in tandem instead of car manufacturers being forced to pick one over the other. Hadn't considered it might actually break the input, though that is a totally legitimate concern given AAs history and like you said, how Mazda set it up in this car. We can always roll back and hope the functionality is fixed in a future firmware update if it does indeed break.

Just gotta wait and see.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Supposedly Android Auto is getting a significant update later this summer, which entails a big change in the interface. Because Mazda forces use of the Commander to navigate Android Auto nearly all the time, I'm wondering if anything will "break" once this update happens, because if Mazda's unique non-touch AA interface.

For example, currently in Waze I cannot zoom in and out of the map because the little on-screen zoom icons can not be selected by the Commander and I haven't figured out another way to zoom out. Kind of frustrating because it's right there on screen yet Mazda has made the decision for me that I can't touch the screen!
Fyi waze zoom is only enabled when you are stopped. There is a circle with a +/- sign on the lower right hand side of the screen

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
I've had no issue with Waze, in regards to using the Commander knob. It allows me to zoom in/out, make a report, etc. It takes a moment or two to load up since my phone is ancient, but once the map is up, all I do is turn the knob to highlight the buttons shown on the map, then press to choose.

I never use the touchscreen for anything anymore. Whether it's using AA or the Mazda software for my music, navigation, or messaging, it's quickly accessed by me via the knob, the surrounding buttons, and the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'd prefer an update where I don't need to physically connect my phone to get AA working on the screen. Strange, my phone goes into AA mode just starting the car but MazdaConeect still needs the hardwire.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'd prefer an update where I don't need to physically connect my phone to get AA working on the screen. Strange, my phone goes into AA mode just starting the car but MazdaConeect still needs the hardwire.
i believe the BT connection triggers the phone to go into AA mode. For cars that don't have mirroring (i.e. AA/CP). Happens on our CX9 from 2010.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i believe the BT connection triggers the phone to go into AA mode. For cars that don't have mirroring (i.e. AA/CP). Happens on our CX9 from 2010.

From my experience this does seem to be the case. It assumes you have AA installed to use it in the fashion where you have some sort of phone holder in your car (man I HATE those ugly ones you jam in your air vents that I've seen around) and sees the connection to your cars bluetooth as a sign that you're about to drive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Does this method for enabling touchscreen while in motion work on the latest Mazda firmware upgrade? -

I have it enabled now and it's definitely a huge improvement in how I interact with the vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does this method for enabling touchscreen while in motion work on the latest Mazda firmware upgrade? -

I have it enabled now and it's definitely a huge improvement in how I interact with the vehicle.
I don't think any of those service menu tweaks work anymore on more recent firmwares and that you need to install MazdaAIO to do anything like that, though I'm not sure.

I have "Touchscreen While Moving" enabled via AIO on the latest firmware 70.0.0.100A and it works fine. If you're using an older firmware installing the tweaks are super easy. You just need a flash drive and once the tweaks are installed you don't need to keep it in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So is this worth the price for the older 3rd gens? I've got a '16 that I'm keeping for another 5 years or so, but if it's not a good integration yet I rather wait. Seems like there are still some bugs/kinks to work out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was actually hoping for the opposite, and that the changes in the interface would allow for the commander knob and touch screen to work in tandem instead of car manufacturers being forced to pick one over the other. Hadn't considered it might actually break the input, though that is a totally legitimate concern given AAs history and like you said, how Mazda set it up in this car. We can always roll back and hope the functionality is fixed in a future firmware update if it does indeed break.

Just gotta wait and see.
THe manufacturers are not being forced to do one over the other. Mazda made the choice to disable the touch screen while driving in the claim of added "safety".

While touch is a primary method of input for Android Auto, there are many manufactures that also use a similar methods of input control that I'm sure Google will be paying attention to this design refresh.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So is this worth the price for the older 3rd gens? I've got a '16 that I'm keeping for another 5 years or so, but if it's not a good integration yet I rather wait. Seems like there are still some bugs/kinks to work out.
Yes, without a doubt in my opinion. Wanting to get AA on my daily driver was a main motivation for getting a new daily before I bought my 18 Mazda6. It's a massive improvement over the stock Mazda infotainment.

·
Registered
72 Posts
THe manufacturers are not being forced to do one over the other. Mazda made the choice to disable the touch screen while driving in the claim of added "safety".

While touch is a primary method of input for Android Auto, there are many manufactures that also use a similar methods of input control that I'm sure Google will be paying attention to this design refresh.
I'm actually not so sure that's the case. I was in a discussion about this over on Mazda3Revolution, that in part involved Trez, the current AIO dev, and the general consesus by the end is that the Andorid Auto interface has two layouts: One optimized for touch, and the other for wheel based input where touch is outright ignored. You can see potential evidence of this as the interface has a noticably different layout in the screens that are primarily touch driven.

Trez has made several attempts at renabling the touch screen but they seem to have had no effect whatsoever and there doesn't seem to be anything in the headunit scripts related to disabling touch within Android Auto specifically, which also supports this theory.

Additionally, if it truly was a concious choice made by Mazda for safety reasons, would they truly leave it enabled in Apple car play? We don't know for sure, but over all it seems fairly plausible that the lack of touch in the Mazda AA was more so due to Mazda wanting to prioritize the commander knob since that is used for everything else entertainment related and that, if this is true, they couldn't have it both ways, rather than outright choosing to disable touch input.

Yes, without a doubt in my opinion. Wanting to get AA on my daily driver was a main motivation for getting a new daily before I bought my 18 Mazda6. It's a massive improvement over the stock Mazda infotainment.
+1 to that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
oblivioncth
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing