Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I rally want Google Maps. Has anyone gone down the road and replaced the headunit to support that?
I have the same question or has anyone found a way to hack the current system and install android auto?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this has been done, but I think the issue with the android units is they eventually fail. They slow down and get buggy.

I really want to replace my stock unit with an Android system, but I don't want problems down the road. If someone on here has done that, can you testify to its reliability?

·
Registered
189 Posts
That is an outdated head unit. He clearly had issues with it and didn't like it.

A lot of the generic android HUs suck. Joying however makes really solid, well supported android HUs and they only cost about $270.

I installed one in my car and so far I am really pleased with it. I retained the stock backup camera, USB connector, and steering wheel controls. I lost the commander knob, which for some reason seems to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

I now use waze for my GPS, power amp for music, and overall feel like it's a massive upgrade over the stock '14 crap infotainment system. It boots in exactly 25 seconds (timed it a few times), and boots instantly if started <2 hrs after shutdown.

Negatives are low quality BT audio, which is only really noticed when using the mic to make phone calls (since I put all my music on an sd card directly on the unit), and it was a bitch to get the steering wheel controls & backup cam to work, since I bought a "generic" double-din, not one built for my car.

I think I will eventually post a thread on how it all went.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the information! I still have much research to do, but it's good to hear from someone who has installed one of these units that so far they are enjoying it.
How long have you had it installed for?
I'm planning on doing this conversion with in the next month or two. Any way you could post a thread about what you did to get it all up and going correctly? I would very much appreciate it. I have a very good understanding of electrical systems and how everything works with each other, but I'd love to see any challenges you faced and had to overcome. I don't want to have to spend a couple days with my car taken apart, or worse, weeks while waiting for something I overlooked to ship. :p

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not quite android auto, but IMO, better.
If youre using an android phone and rooted, an app called AppradioUnchained Reloaded essentially turns your pioneer headunit into a tablet. Plug the phone in via MHL and the screen is mirrored to the the headunit, and touch inputs work.

My only problem is I now have a note 4 on ATT, which is essentially impossible to root, so im back where i started...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not quite android auto, but IMO, better.
If youre using an android phone and rooted, an app called AppradioUnchained Reloaded essentially turns your pioneer headunit into a tablet. Plug the phone in via MHL and the screen is mirrored to the the headunit, and touch inputs work.

My only problem is I now have a note 4 on ATT, which is essentially impossible to root, so im back where i started...
I'm assuming this isn't for the stock HU? Am thinking greatly in replacing mine. I'm over the 36k and they told me it would be $380 to replace the module. I bought the car used and didn't realize it didn't have the new module in until 37k.

Side note, Does anyone know if changing the HU will keep the backup sensor, the blind-spot ones, still activated?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm assuming this isn't for the stock HU? Am thinking greatly in replacing mine. I'm over the 36k and they told me it would be $380 to replace the module. I bought the car used and didn't realize it didn't have the new module in until 37k.

Side note, Does anyone know if changing the HU will keep the backup sensor, the blind-spot ones, still activated?
Correct, this is using a pioneer appradio 3. not sure about the sensors

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this has been done, but I think the issue with the android units is they eventually fail. They slow down and get buggy.

I really want to replace my stock unit with an Android system, but I don't want problems down the road. If someone on here has done that, can you testify to its reliability?
I found a after-market android HU with link below, it may be your choice to replace the stock unit.

aliexpress.com/store/product/Quad-Core-1024x600-Android-Car-DVD-GPS-for-Mazda-6-2013-2014-with-Bluetooth-Radio-RDS/912113_32588828395.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts