Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
****Edit**** Read my post below

So I took my speed6 in a few days ago because the car was vibrating at idle, and driving like crap.
I just now got a call back from Mazda saying that the spark plugs were being recalled, and one of my cylinders wasnt running corretly BECAUSE THE TIP WAS BROKEN AND BARELY HANGIN ON. WTF
So now I dont know if he was BSing me and the tip did in fact break off, ive never heard of a spark plug tip "hanging on barely". What do you guys think? If the tip broke off would my motor be gone, would I be able to tell? Shit like this is gonna make it real hard to mod my car, damnit
He said that Mazda used Ford supplied spark plugs and Mazda now recommends changing them to NGK.

BTW, good job to WhiteLightning he guessed it was shitty sprak plugs, nice job old man!!! :D

People, make sure you change your oem spark plugs immidiately!!!! :swearin: :swearin:

Sorry if this is a repost

·
Registered
820 Posts
Did you ask if you would be reimbursed if you bought the plugs on your own and then Mazda recalled? I'd hate to be out money on a recalled item ya know?

PS: i was doing some searching today for plugs because there is a good rebate on Autolite plugs, model APP5364 is their stock MS6 plug, XP5364 is their high performance model. That's all I got at the moment.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Porceulan (sp) tips can indeed crack and break but it fell into the engine your piston will be gone. Happened twice on my wife's Lincoln Navigator. Needless to say Lincoln bought the car back from us the 2nd time around :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did you ask if you would be reimbursed if you bought the plugs on your own and then Mazda recalled? I'd hate to be out money on a recalled item ya know?

PS: i was doing some searching today for plugs because there is a good rebate on Autolite plugs, model APP5364 is their stock MS6 plug, XP5364 is their high performance model. That's all I got at the moment.
[/b]
Does the MS6 have platinum plugs? Because with forced induction, copper is the better route to go. I wonder if a 1 step colder copper plug would help this car, especially with overly sensitive knock sensor detecting these knocks. :headscrat:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Porceulan (sp) tips can indeed crack and break but it fell into the engine your piston will be gone. Happened twice on my wife's Lincoln Navigator. Needless to say Lincoln bought the car back from us the 2nd time around :D
[/b]
Wow, crazy...

Guys..they are replacing all of my spark plugs, when I pick the car up I will have more info including the types of plugs, and hopefully maybe some pics of the old plugs, my car is bone stock btw, only the best gas, and oil changed every 2,000 miles so far

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the MS6 have platinum plugs? Because with forced induction, copper is the better route to go. I wonder if a 1 step colder copper plug would help this car, especially with overly sensitive knock sensor detecting these knocks. :headscrat:
[/b]
Im not sure if they are platinum, but my bros turbo 300ZX uses platinum and his car runs very well at 350whp, so I dunno, I guess its different for every car

This recomendation got to your dealer via Corporate email or word of mouth? Were any other dealers notified of this?
[/b]
The info I got was brief over the phone, I know they were having issues and had made several call to Mazda to find out what to do, but the service guy told me over the phone, that Mazda was recalling the spark plugs that were "Ford" and replacing them with some type of "NGK", But who knows, these service guys are sometimes full of shit, maybe this whole thing was just a freak occurance with my particular car...

I will have pics and more info hopefully later today.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Im not sure if they are platinum, but my bros turbo 300ZX uses platinum and his car runs very well at 350whp, so I dunno, I guess its different for every car
[/b]
Platinum plugs will last longer but copper plugs will have better spark performance. That's not to say that platinum plugs won't work with a forced induction application.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got another call back, the service guy was full of shit, so nevermind about the TSB guys!!!!!!

They ended up replacing a coil pack and 3 spark plugs? Not 4 for some reason? Im not sure, the guy doesnt know his face from his ass apparently, so I'll just have to wait and see when I pick it up and talk to say, the tech or someone who worked on the car. Anyways, I guess we can delete this thread?

None of it makes sense to me, either they got confused with another car, or maybe they are hiding something. Why call me and say the spark plugs are no good, and they called Mazda and found out that they had to replace them with NGK? And then call me back and say, "Hey Jim, I was mistaken, all that detailed info I gave you was completly wrong, and we just ended up replacing the coil pack and the spark plug with the same type" :huh:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yes the Autolite plugs are platinum. I purchased some Autolites by recomendation for my 2.5L Duratec and they ran like shit. I ended up pulling them out and going back to the OEM Motorcraft.
I'm all for an NGK swap in my car, as far as I know Mazda has always used NGK. There must be a reason.
Does anyone know which NGKs would be the correct plug?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes the Autolite plugs are platinum. I purchased some Autolites by recomendation for my 2.5L Duratec and they ran like shit. I ended up pulling them out and going back to the OEM Motorcraft.
I'm all for an NGK swap in my car, as far as I know Mazda has always used NGK. There must be a reason.
Does anyone know which NGKs would be the correct plug?
[/b]
Yeah, I run NGK coppers in my supercharged Mustang. I use the TR6s.

I wouldn't mind switching over to some NGK coppers in my MS6.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the MS6 has iridium plugs. I had those in my Mustang at 1 time and it ran like crap.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On a sidenote, has anyone changed their spark plugs yet? Any chance for some pictures w/details?
I'll have pics of my old stuff, if they dont somehow end up missing when I get there....

·
Registered
778 Posts
I run iridium in my other two cars. 1 turbo'd, 1 n/a and not sure what's in the six. Never had a problem with platium/copper/iridium. However, I did have problems with bosch plugs. I now use denso or ngk.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm been saying plugs all along, the bad plugs probably killed the coilpacks.

I've also said an extended life, 100,000 mile plug is a VERY bad chioce on a turbo motor, especially one that is running as rich as this one does.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run iridium in my other two cars. 1 turbo'd, 1 n/a and not sure what's in the six. Never had a problem with platium/copper/iridium. However, I did have problems with bosch plugs. I now use denso or ngk.
[/b]

watdog,

Everything you ever wanted to know about Denso Iridium plugs and much, much more. Actually some very good information about the plugs and the story of iridium, interesting.

http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I picked the car up, everything seems good except no window controlls...
The pics: Now I see what the service rep was trying to say...the white cylinder piece below the electrode was freely moving up and down.

This is what my reciept says...
"Hook up to IDS Perform EGI System diagnosis, obtain code p0304.
Perform TSB 01-023/06 : Perform procedure: Clean Spark Plug
Retest ok
Vehicle still misfiring and check engine light came on. Check fuel pressure was okay. Called Technical
Hotline Reference# 481121 suggested to inspect injector connector which was ok. Remove #4 Coil and plug found plug fouled, replace plug and coil, reprogram power control module, retest okay."

The spark plug part number was Maz 0000-18-L3Y3 in case any of you want to look it up.

Looks to me like we have "laser Iridium" plugs

·
Registered
870 Posts
So I picked the car up, everything seems good except no window controlls...
[/b]
This happens when you disconnect the battery. It's in the manual you have to re-program them. No idea why they made it like this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
After reading this, I'm starting to think that my stuttering problem is being caused by bad spark plugs/coil pack and not turbo boost spike. It's been getting progressively worse, so this could explain it all. Those pics are encouraging me to call the dealer sooner than later...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts