Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my coworkers was born and raised in East Germany, and was 19 when the wall fell. He went home to visit his family over the holidays and took some pictures. One of them that I found interesting is the East German 'Trabant'.

Here's what he told me about this vehicle. The engine is a two stroke that produces 20Hp. The gas tank is up front next to the engine and you actually have to lift the hood to fill 'er up. The body panels are made from pressed cotton impregnated with a resin. Vehicle weight is about 1000kg. It cost 20 months salary and you had to wait about 12 years to get one. They were manufactured right up to 1989 when East Germany collapsed.

Unfortunatly I don't know much more than that, so if there's anyone out there who can provide a little more insight to this marvel of automotive engineering, feel free to jump in. :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'An interesting car...'

Toolkit for the trabi:

1. Glue. Lots of it.
2. Oil.
3. Steel wire. Miles of it.
4. More glue.
5. More oil.
6. Money.
7. Nervous pills.
8. A gun. (If suicide becomes necessary).
9. More oil.
10. A bus ticket. (You'll need it).
11. More glue.
12. Even more oil.
13. A mechanic. The problem isn't fitting it into the tool box, the problem is finding one willing to work on a Trabi...

:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Unfortunatly I'm not well versed in German, so it's a bit difficult reading that website. Oh well. If I become really motivated I'll google it.

Steve, I'm not at all surprised. It just looks like a piece of junk. I just can't keep from laughing when looking at that car.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I think my little radio controlled car could outrun that thing. :whip

Putt putt putt...

·
Registered
96 Posts

I thought these things had kind of a cult period about ten years ago when U2 siezed upon them as a great symbol of Europe? I remember seeing the U2 "Zooropa" tour and they had Traubants built into the lighting.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Reading Topic: An interesting car...

I was in east-berlin before the wall fell.. used to be filled with these. The smell of oil because of the 2-stroke engines was amazing as was the blueish mist rising up near every intersection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts