Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the north georgia fair this weekend, where I saw a booth for Amsoil. So, I start to talk to the guy about their oil. He states that their oils go for 25,000 miles before you need to change it. :huh: If this is true then I would only need to change my oil once a year!
I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if this claim is true or not? It is about the same price as most other synthetics ($7.50 per qt.) and they also have a line of oil filters and air filters that are also supposed to last a long time. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It's mostly a marketing ploy. Just like my atx tranny fluid that doesn't need to be changed for 100k miles, but in reality was turning brown at 20k miles (and that was with a tranny cooler).

bobistheoilguy.com might have more info.

If you really want to try it I suggest doing several UOA along the way so that you'll know when it's REALLY going to need a change.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I know that other synthetic can perform 7500 miles with no problem. That's my oil change interval anyway.

But to leave the oil in the car for 25K? No matter how good the oil is, I don't want to do that. Mostly because I get an itch to change the oil at 7500 miles. :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I went to the north georgia fair this weekend, where I saw a booth for Amsoil. So, I start to talk to the guy about their oil. He states that their oils go for 25,000 miles before you need to change it. :huh: If this is true then I would only need to change my oil once a year!
I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if this claim is true or not?
[/b]
I assume you were talking about the ASL/ATM series of synthetics, which do have a normal service interval of 25,000miles. Note that AMSOIL also offers the less expensive XLF/XLT series (7,500 miles normal service) and the more expensive Series 2000 oils, which are recommended for 35,000miles!

You should keep in mind that the severe service intervals are lower for each series, and that the 35,000 mile interval on the Series 2000 requires the use of AMSOIL's synthetic EaO filter (whice is unfortunately not available for the 2.3L engine).

Personally, I'm using the ASL synthetic in my MS6. I plan to use an 18,000 mile drain interval, while changing the OEM filter every 6,000 miles. Just to be cautious, I changed the oil at 12,000 miles and had a used oil analysis performed. Everything looked good, and the lab actually recommended to continue using the oil beyond the 12,000 miles.

There is quite a bit of information available on AMSOIL's website.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Some amsoil rep talked to my mom one day... And for some reason he was trying sell her on getting the oil. He told her that you could run the oil for along time, and that legaly the car company couldnt deney you warrenty work based on oil change unless they paid for the oil changes. But who knows...

I have seen the stuff around, I might look into it.

S

·
0 Posts
I used to have a Chevy Diesel with the Duramax and used amosil synthetics in it. Supposedly with an oil bybass system people were going 100k plus between oil changes (of course they did an oil analysis every 10k). Amsoil really makes a quality product

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The interesting thing about amsoils claims...is that when something does go wrong, they won't cover repairs.

Case in point, lady with a truck not too long ago on the BITOG forums had an engine failure. Dealer refused to cover it due to the oil intervals, amsoil refused to cover it because it wasn't the oils fault.

End game? Owner stuck with repair bill.

Stick to manufacturer oil intervals while under warranty. Then if you want, run extended intervals with UOA's to back them up AFTER the warranty is over. Extending an oil interval past 7500 on a Mazda 6 under warranty is grounds for voidance on your engine warranty, as you failed to follow the required maintenance contract as outlined in your owners manual.

And also...don't ever try to run extended oil intervals on a turbo engine...you're just asking for a huge bill. Talk to the vw and audi owners if you want feedback on that.

With proper UOA's and filtering, you can run synthetics for an extended period of time, as long as everything in the vehicle is functioning normally. (proper oil temps, lots of hwy miles, good cooling system, excellent filters, usually with bypasses) This doesn't change the fact that extending your intervals while under warranty can void your vehicles engine warranty.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
*Crossbow beat me to the punch*

The manufacturer can supposedly deny you warranty work if you don't follow their service intervals despite the oil lasting past that(within reason, of course. eg: if interval was scheduled for 6,000 and you changed at 6,300-6,500 I don't think they will bicker over that). Redline Oil is designed for 10,000-18,000 mile intervals or once a year and still be within safe margins, but they too suggest sticking to the manufacturers suggested scheduled intervals until after the warranty so as not to give the dealer a reason to void. If you decide to go to the full oil change recommendation interval of 18,000-24,000 miles, I would still change the filter out at least once during that duration and top off the car off with whatever oil is lost during that change (typically about a quart).

Shadrag,
as far as judging oil life by changing of its color that really doesn't work nowadays when it comes to synthetics/pure synthetics. The oil can get browner and browner but that doesn't necessarily mean the oil's useful properties are diminishing or that the oil is dirty and needs to be changed. Best thing to do is to do a UOA. But for the everyday user and for dino oil users, examining the oil and it's discoloration could be used to judge the oil's life, abeit not an accurate method. Regardless of discoloring I tend to just follow the manufacturers recommendation or a happy median between what the manufacturer manual* recommends and what the Oil you are using recommends.

*Note I didn't say the dealer, as they would want you to come in every 3,000 miles to change the oil (versus the 5,000-7,500 mile recommendation the manufacturer gives). I used to do oil changes religiously every 3,000 on my older cars and when using dino oil. But now that I use synthetic only (either Redline or Mobil1) and a high quality filter, I feel comfortable doing my changes ever 6,000-7,000 miles. I might even eventually go to longer intervals (10,000, maybe 12,000 at the most) when my warranty expires on the wife's 3s since she doesn't drive the car nowhere near as hard as I do. The only time I change it earlier is during break-in (typically 2,000-3,000 miles).
:burnout:
Paul

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The interesting thing about amsoils claims...is that when something does go wrong, they won't cover repairs.[/b]
That is the biggest reason that I (using Mobil 1) will only go 5000 miles between changes. I don't want anyone to give me any crap about not changing the oil regularly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
u guys have to realize the reason be hind the vast differences in oil change intervals.
BMW recommends changing regular synthetic every 15,000 miles. i was like WOW at first
but then i realized, some of the bimmers hold TWICE the amount of engine oil (close to 10 quarts).
meaning the oil will be used up in double the time (more to go thru)

our cars only hold around 5 quarts. so the interval is thus cut in half.

·
Registered
241 Posts
amsoil lasts for 25,000

you can get it cheaper if you sign up for the half year or year w/e its called thing( premium or preferred i think)

its 10 dollars for half a year.. good if you want to buy a lot of it at once.. 20 for the whole year
Its a pretty solid discount, around 2 dollars per quart.

Anyways what people forget to do is change the oil filter
Unless you get the right filter from amsoil you need to change that according to your owners manual ( the longest one)

they don't make the filter we have so you should change your filter around 7000 miles..
Just do it three times and change your oil at 21,000

Then again people might not feel safe going that long... My parents have used the stuff for a while now with no problems once my Mobil synthetic runs out I will be getting amsoil.

Probably just going to do the discount and buy a lot at once.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Once again...do not run any OCI (oil change interval) past 7500 miles WHILE UNDER THE FACTORY WARRANTY.

If you are changing your own oil, keep recepits from oil and filter purchases.

If you fail to adhere to the contract laid out in your warranty manual (oil changes of 5k to 7.5k) you will void your engine warranty. Amsoil does not cover any engine replacements or repairs due to extended oil change intervals, regardless of the PR you read on their websites. When the shit hits the fan, amsoil crosses their arms and says the oil wasn't at fault, the manufacturer crosses their arms and says the oil was at fault, and the owner puts their arms in their pockets and pulls out all their money.

Now if you are outside of the vehicle warranty, then its up to you to run a proper oil change interval based on UOA's (used oil analysis's). With proper filtering and a well running car, synthetics can run for a very long time (especially with a bypass), but you need to make sure of this before blindly leaping.

Once more for those ignoring the center of the post. Do not run an extended oil change interval while under your factory warranty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts