Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as luck may have it, my sis' bf gave me his dual sub enclosure, w/ 2 subs for installing his HID's. They're not the greatest ever, but I'm not looking for "kick", just depth and warmth, which they provide plenty of.

They're old-ass Jensen XS Bass 12" subs (at least, that's what the badge says, I'm not sure about the model number or the wattage), and I have the factory non-Bose HU, along with the factory speakers.

I only need line level inputs, an amp (duh), and the wiring kit.. Any suggestions, or recommendations?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
wiring kit

knukonceptz.com

4awg eko amp installation kit.

its perfect. And if you dont already have a LOC get one from davidnavone and as far as amps go, its up to u i guess.

·
Registered
246 Posts
as far as a mono amp.....Soundstream, JBl and Kicker make really nice stuff just depends on how much power you need or want. I would guess around 300W would be good.

As far as wiring I agree with the KnuKonceptz.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
LOC = line out converter. You need to install one in yer car to run an amp.

Things you need:

LOC-> http://www.davidnavone.com/ (NE-7V under the adapters section. Next you need the wiring kit from knukconceptz.

then next you need the amp but thats up to u... So yer looking at $130 for the whole setup after you're all said and done. (thinking you dont get the best amp in the world.)

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
From the very limited information I found on those subwoofers, it would appear that they are single 4 ohm voice coil drivers. I would defenitely confirm this before I went out and bought an amp for them. Assuming that they are, you will want to get a mono subwoofer amplifier that delivers power the most efficiently at 2 ohms (the two woofers wired in parallel)

What's your price range for an amplifier?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the very limited information I found on those subwoofers, it would appear that they are single 4 ohm voice coil drivers. I would defenitely confirm this before I went out and bought an amp for them. Assuming that they are, you will want to get a mono subwoofer amplifier that delivers power the most efficiently at 2 ohms (the two woofers wired in parallel)

What's your price range for an amplifier? [/b]

I found a Kenwood KAC-7252 amp on ebay for around $140 (inc. shipping), which they say is brand new and sealed in the box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kenwood-KAC-7252-2...tem260055711776

I like it because it has the speaker-level inputs, and the wired remote.

Since I listen to rock, I don't need a super-duper, hear-it-down-the-block kind of setup, I just want more emphasis on the bass. I'm hoping to spend around $200 total (minus a capacitor, IF I need one..)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
not gonna lie, they have almost no kick, but if you just want a little beat and a little more bass just get magnums from circuit city. They arent the best quality. im sure you can sell those duals and then just buy the magnums +amp+ box setup its only 99 from circuit city. I heard them the other day and they definately cant bump but i mean its bass. Idk just a little imput. I would like to show off sometimes so i wanna be able to put a lil bump in my trunk.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That kenwood doesn't look to shabby, but there are lots of options in that price range. I'd personally shy away from using a two channel amp to run the subs though. Granted that they are 4 ohm drivers, you'd get more out of a mono amp.

Here's a good deal at ikesound if you don't mind refurbs -
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2119

This alpine also would do the job well, granted it doesn't have the remote level control -
http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/4389

If you had your heart set on that kenwood, I'm sure it'd do fine also.

·
Registered
592 Posts
connect the loc to front door speakers since they are only speakers that get enough signal to run them right. can tap into the factory sub for a remote line. and dont settle for a cheap amp becuase you will just upgrade later anyways. take the time and save the money to do it right and get a decent amp.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
yeah go JL and overspend by $50-90 ... Anyways, all the amp suggestions are good if you have SVC 4 ohm subs. Get any decent amp that does 300-400w at 2 ohms (if u ever want to upgrade get something like that Directed amp that does 600 at 1 ohm). Try that first and if u want more, upgrade.

·
Registered
580 Posts
yeah go JL and overspend by $50-90 ... Anyways, all the amp suggestions are good if you have SVC 4 ohm subs. Get any decent amp that does 300-400w at 2 ohms (if u ever want to upgrade get something like that Directed amp that does 600 at 1 ohm). Try that first and if u want more, upgrade.
[/b]
The JL thing was an inside joke between Mike Troll and I.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yeah i was being sarcastic, nothing serious ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do some research on the subs... get the specs you can, google it, find what you think it is. Look on google images and see if it matches up.

Two 12" 4ohm subs are going to probably need more than 300 watts... some 12" use up to 1200watts, so my guess would be about 250RMS a sub... meaning a 600watt sub at about 90% volume will do perfectly... and for the extra kick, peak power is at 300watts a sub.

Also, you need a LOC. Depending on the amp, some have controls on the amp itself to alter sub volumes and the like... however, at this price range you will probably have to suffice with simply the stock HU's bass controls.

Oh... after the slightest bit of research, I found out the BASS line is a competition sub, meant for hitting hard and low. The 12's im looking at are 800RMS a piece. I dont know what year yours are.... but dont expect it to be different. For two 12s at 800 a piece, your gonna need a 1600watt amp minimum, expect up to a 2000watt amp to be what you really want. Look at soundstream for affordable 1000watt+ amps...

Just take time to invest in a little research to figure out what you need, so you can figure out what amp you need. A 300watt probably isnt going to cut it... and can damage your sub actually if its substantially under the RMS. Plus they just have a poor sound if not at their minimum wattage.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you CANNOT damage your subs by underpowering them. That is one of the old myths of car audio. Heck if they really could handle 800 watts RMS, then even a clipped signal(sub sees about double the power) would probably not blow them. I've also looked up that sub.

Is this one it? If so, they are rated at 175 watts RMS and I believe 4 ohm SVC based on reviews. Those amps recommended b4 should work

1 - 20 of 21 Posts