Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Amplifier Wiring Kit

It's two runs of 10 guage wire. One for my 120watt amp, the other for my 60 watt amp. It's perfect!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I guess to each his own, I'll admit I spent over $150 on my wiring alone, but in the end even my speaker wire was 8 guage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Amplifier Wiring Kit'

Originally posted by diesel5599

I guess to each his own, I'll admit I spent over $150 on my wiring alone, but in the end even my speaker wire was 8 guage.[/b]
Your system is only as good as what connects it all together. You almost always get what you pay for.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Ummm... To each their own. Personally, while there's a SLIGHT (almost miniscule) difference between $100/foot IXOS wiring and $0.20/foot rat-shack wire, $150 for wiring isn't THAT bad a price. I mean, look at what I'll be using for competitions:

12 feet 0g power - $36
1 foot 0g Ground - $3
RCA pairs (4 sets) 12 feet - $80-100
Fused Distribution - $15-60 (based on looks mainly)
Ground distribution - $10-$40
Speaker wiring - $30
Navone Line out converter - $45

These are ESTIMATES on what I'll need to spend so far for wiring. And this isn't for top of the line stuff, or budget crap. It's definitely towards the cheaper end though.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I come from a home theater crowd:

To hear the difference between speaker wires requires an incredibly high-end system (assume reasonably similar guage). A better wire will ensure all frequencies travel through the wire at the same speed and that impendence doesn't change over its spectrum. If you want to get really fancy, your wires should also be suspended obove the ground.

Particularly in a car, I'd argue that these factors are negligable. Cars simply don't have the acoustics to reproduce audio with such precision that this would matter, especially when your source is a line-out converter!!!

To hear the difference between power cables- well, it is debatable as to whether or not that's even possible.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Generally my choice of heavier guage wire for the speakers is simply because it is easier to work with when it comes to splicing and running. Its annoying to try splicing 18G stranded wire 3 and 4 times because strands keep breaking. Or ruining a couple of connectors because it fell off after you crimped it.

I ran 12G to the factory components and 8G to the subs. I thought $150 was a pretty good price, course I am still not completely done with the install, and don't like thinking about all the "little" $15 and $20 purchases I made when I ran out of pieces.

One thing I do firmly believe in is heavy guage power wires. The lighter the guage, the more resistance the wire produces. Resistance = heat. Definitely don't need an electrical fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts