Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't have the PAC AOEM-MAZ2 yet, but today i have run the power from the battery to the trunk.

Here's what i found under the hood :)

So no need for an additional ugly fuse :)

I have pass the wire through the big grommet behind the clutch pedal and it was a PITA !

I'll take pics tomorrow of the grommet

Here's the final install

Next thing is to install the amp under the rear deck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Everything is working guy's

·
Registered
324 Posts
Two old JL Audio 12W0-4
rated at 125 watt rms in a sealed box

Kenwood KAC-819
Max Power Output (2Ω) 450W x 1

·
Registered
324 Posts
One sub dead :)

Time for more powerfull !!

almost 10yrs old speaker didn't last long lol

edit: they where 13 years old lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
took the picture before the driver side died lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
New sub and a new vented box :)

JL Audio 12W0v3-4

Dead sub :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi
I'll start off by saying I've installed many subwoofers into various cars and have no problem understanding how it all works and how to do the wiring.
Since this is my first brand new car I want this to be a clean, "stock" looking set up. I'm wondering about running the amp power wires and would like to know what is the biggest gauge I could buy that would still fit in the interior trim channels.
I'm also not a huge fan of just grounding to the chasis of the car and would likely want to run a return wire to the battery as well. With that in mind, would I be able to fit lets say two 4 gauge wires into the trim channels and through the grommet in the firewall behind the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
I'll start off by saying I've installed many subwoofers into various cars and have no problem understanding how it all works and how to do the wiring.
Since this is my first brand new car I want this to be a clean, "stock" looking set up. I'm wondering about running the amp power wires and would like to know what is the biggest gauge I could buy that would still fit in the interior trim channels.
I'm also not a huge fan of just grounding to the chasis of the car and would likely want to run a return wire to the battery as well. With that in mind, would I be able to fit lets say two 4 gauge wires into the trim channels and through the grommet in the firewall behind the clutch pedal?
I've installed a few subs and it depends on how big the amp is for guage size. I'm getting ready to install mine and I have 8 guage. You really shouldn't have your ground wire more than 5 ft away from the amp and you don't want the amp too far from the sub.There is no difference between the battery ground and the car ground since they are connected to one another. You can find a nut to take off which is grounded and take the nut off, put the ground wire in there and out the nut back on. I would use a flat head screwdriver to remove any paint which might be on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand how to size wire based on current requirements.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say I shouldn't have my ground wire more than 5ft from the amp. Whether the wire is grounded to the chasis or with a direct line back to the battery the distance the electrons have to travel is the same... back to the negative terminal of the battery.

Electrically I understand that grounding to the car chasis is no different than running a line back to the battery, but the difference is in the quality of the conductor. A pure copper conductor back to the battery is going to have far less voltage drop than the path of the chasis. Between that reason and for reasons in which I may want to pull a heavy load (such as running a large inverter off the sub power lines) an isolated ground is going to be better.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts