Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am almost done with my install, but there's one more thing that is standing in my way, and I was interested in any feedback from anyone else who has upgraded their systems like mine.

I installed Infinity Reference 6.5" Components (605CS) up front using these mounting adapters. Mounting depth is not a problem, but with the added thickness of the adapter plus the metal ring adapter that came with the speakers, the speakers now look like they intrude into the area of the door panel plastic speaker grille.

My plan, unless anyone else has come up with a better solution, is to partially cut out the plastic reinforment rim than goes around the inside of the plastic speaker grille; which would not be noticeable from the exterior of the panel. I really don't want to actually cut a hole in the plastic speaker grille to mount the metal grilles that came with the speakers, for 1) because personally I think it would look bad to have one round, black metal grille popping out of an oval, grey plastic grill, and 2) I think that would hurt the resale value.

This is what I plan to do tonight unless anyone else has already come up with a better solution for mounting 6.5 inchers in the 6x8 mounts. Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: amp/speaker upgrade self-install issues

Just shave the interior of the grille to fit the speakers, and leave clearance for cone travel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished my install (me too)

Well, I was getting ready to post an update to my install, and noticed that stretchsje just did this himself and beat me to the punch. :p Oh well, here is my 2 cents.

So, I finally finished my install the end of last week, and I'm sure glad its finally done. :)

This was my first install, and I think overall it turned out very well, although maybe some things I did differently than someone else would. It took me about 40 hours total.

Here is the setup I used:

Infinity 6.5" Reference Components (up front)
US Acoustics USX 2050
Dave Navone N744 LOC

The install is pretty much a stealth install, except for the amp being visible in the trunk. The biggest biatch during the first phase of the install was getting my 16 ga speaker wires through the rubber tube that connects the door to the body. This is complicated by the fact that there is a wire connector block blocking the hole. The hard part after that was deciding to cut some material from the inside of the door panel to make the 6.5" speakers fit.

I didn't do anything with the rear speakers, and I have the gain turned full down for the rears, maybe later I'll upgrade them, but probably not.

The sound is 100% better now with the new speakers and the amp. I am finding excuses now to drive around and listen to my new speakers in my new car. :) On a side note, as far as harshness from the tweeters playing through two grilles, that's not something I notice myself in my setup, and if its there it is subtle. I am definitely glad I went with the Navone LOC too, sound is very clear with no trace of static or noise, definitely worth the money. And now they just went on sale after I bought mine, go figure.

My next task when I have time to work some more on the car is to open up the doors again and put some dampening material in there, because there is a lot of vibration, especially around maybe 50 - 80 Hz. Right now I have my amp crossover set to 65 Hz because otherwise it just gets too boomy, but if I can dampen it I would like to run them full-range. I had put some dampening pads over the speaker holes, but I had to rip that up when I was chasing down a rattle in the mounting adapter.

Something to keep in mind is that you can definitely mount aftermarket tweeters in the stock triangles and 6.5" rounds in the doors, but not without some cutting at each location.

I took some pictures of what I did not overlapping with the very helpful illustrations that were done in this thread. Probably in a couple days I will post this to a web page.

So, any other stories of successful self-installs?

·
Registered
791 Posts

I'm curious how you mounted your tweeters behind the factory grill. I'm still experimenting, but tomorrow I may be cutting.

Care to share your experience in more detail?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'amp/speaker upgrade self-install issues'

Here's a couple of pictures of what I did:

I clipped off the corner of the inner plastic piece using diagonal pliers, which worked good for one of the sides but not as well for the other. This would have been a good use for my new Dremel if I had had it then. There was enough material left over on the inner piece to hold the tweeter in place, although maybe a little foam cushioning would help. There was actually enough slack that I was able to angle the tweeter a little more towards center than the stock mount did.

I'll probably show a little more detail once I put the web page up. More to come...

·
Registered
791 Posts

My own installation has sucked.

I'm mad.

I accidentally shut the door while I had a tweeter dangling by its wires, and it pinched the tweeter between the door and the dash. This smooshed the steel grill on the tweeter enough that it indented the actual dome driver. Needless to say, having a piece of metal constantly pressing down on the driver doesn't sound too good.

So, I pulled the Kenwood tweeters from the rear to replace the Cadence ones up front. I was going to unplug them anyway just to bring the soundstage forward in the car, so no big deal.

I cut 1 1/2" holes in the factory mounts, and mounted the tweeters in them. It looks nice.

Problem is, those Kenwood tweeters suck. The don't sound anywhere near as good as the Cadence ones. They're smaller, so they fit nicely though. The Cadence ones would have been a challenge.

Yet, it'd of been worth it. The difference is night and day- the Cadence tweeters are far, far better in every possible way. Those Kenwood tweeters suck.

Also, I got a little super-glue on my thumb.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Update: I called Cadence and the guy said he'd send me another one for free!!! Surprised, I questioned his choice since I had admitted my carelessness being the cause of its breaking.

He said, "Cause I can just imagine you seeing what you did and thinking, 'oh shit!'"

Kudos to Cadence loudspeakers- these are very, very nice sounding speakers, and the company was swell to deal with.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

That sucks about crushing your tweeter but that's great that they agreed to replace it for you. If only all companies can offer that level of customer support.

I was wondering how your tweeter mount looks. I didn't want to cut a hole in mine because I didn't think I could make it look good. But if it looks alright, then maybe I'll think about doing that for mine.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

Update:  I called Cadence and the guy said he'd send me another one for free!!!  Surprised, I questioned his choice since I had admitted my carelessness being the cause of its breaking.

He said, "Cause I can just imagine you seeing what you did and thinking, 'oh shit!'"

Kudos to Cadence loudspeakers- these are very, very nice sounding speakers, and the company was swell to deal with.[/b]

I think you might be the luckiest man ever!

·
Registered
791 Posts

Looks nice. I took a picture of my own install for you, but lost it. It's not on the camera or on my computer anymore.

Damn picture grew legs, I tell ya.

·
Registered
303 Posts

VERY NICE pictures and explainations! can't wait to get my stereo done..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts