Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night i got home around 1-2AM parked the car, my subs were working just fine. I get up Saturday afternoon and start the car and they magically stop working. I turn the car on look at the amp and no power light no protect light. Nothing was changed or messed with.

So first thing I do is check the fuses, everything is ok. Then i check to make sure all the cables are connected securely checked the power, ground, and remote and everything seemed to be ok, I grabbed my multimeter and checked to see if there is power coming from my battery. There was power so i started to think there was something wrong with my amp, so i went and grabbed an older amp just to check and see if that worked. Nothing, not even the protect light I thought there could be something wrong with the remote on wire, so i re-checked the connection to the bose wiring harness everything looked ok, but i thought what the hell ill grab a new cable and re run the wire. Still the same thing happens, no power to the amp.

I’m not sure what my next step would be to trouble shooting the problem. I'm about to rip all the wiring out and redo everything but if i can avoid this that would be ideal. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: I have a 2005 6s with the bose. I tapped into the signal and remote before the bose harness so my bose sub still works and it does.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked it visually, everything looked ok. I had the ground wire come out on before with my older amp and this caused the amps protect light to come on.

Is there a way to check to see if the ground has a clean connection with the multimeter? I was getting a signal when i hooked it up to both the ground and power cable, does this mean the ground is working ok? ( I got the multimeter as a gift a few months ago and this is the first time i used it so im not sure)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
it could be a fuse, or ground, or bad amp, etc. use a mulitmeter to check your voltages at the amp. go from there, if you're not reading voltage at the amp, switch your mulitmeter over the resistance and check continuity from your groud to the chassis of the car.

if all your voltages show good at the amp disconnect your fuses and remove the amp from the car, then bench test the amp. this can help you isolate the fault to your install or the amp.

·
Registered
135 Posts
After you've checked your ground, the most important wire, grab a small chunk of 16 gauge or better wire, and jump the 12v to the remote on your amp, I've seen the remote wire on some deck's put out 12 volts, but just not enough amperage to turn on the amp, be careful not to touch the case of your amp with the jumper wire, as it's usually grounded.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
tkv000
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing