Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have decieded to gut the BOSE system and put in my system from my old car. I was looking at some of the install pics and noticed you suggested Fusing the amp line before the battery and before the amp. Is this something that is completely needed...I only ask because i had my 2 amps installed by a car audio shop called Tweeter and they did no such thing from what I can tell. My eclipse amp has fuses on it, not sure about my kenwood. The eclipse is a 4 channel that is puttin out like 60rms or so per channel, and the kenwood is somewhere around 150x2. Would you all suggest I go the route to have it fused?

Also i dropped into circuit city and they quoted me at a price of $275 plus metra kit for install of everything (apline HU, 2 amps, subs, 4 speakers)...Would this price be worth it do you think? Or for $50 dollars should i just have them do the install on the HU and I wire eveyrthing else up myself? Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey all,

I have decieded to gut the BOSE system and put in my system from my old car. I was looking at some of the install pics and noticed you suggested Fusing the amp line before the battery and before the amp. Is this something that is completely needed...I only ask because i had my 2 amps installed by a car audio shop called Tweeter and they did no such thing from what I can tell. My eclipse amp has fuses on it, not sure about my kenwood. The eclipse is a 4 channel that is puttin out like 60rms or so per channel, and the kenwood is somewhere around 150x2. Would you all suggest I go the route to have it fused?

Also i dropped into circuit city and they quoted me at a price of $275 plus metra kit for install of everything (apline HU, 2 amps, subs, 4 speakers)...Would this price be worth it do you think? Or for $50 dollars should i just have them do the install on the HU and I wire eveyrthing else up myself? Thanks
[/b]

Fusing at both ends is good because..... <drum roll>

what if the power cable gets cracked or cut somewhere in the middle. While these things are generally routed under your interior carpet... this would cause a nice fire. If there is a fuse near the battery it would pop... no fire. (remember car batteries can source 100's of amps if you let them)

This is the general idea, it's always a good idea to fuse near the battery. Also remember to keep your ground leads as short as possible.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you definitely need to fuse at both ends: within 12" of the battery and at the amps; if your amps have removable fuses you're good, otherwise add your own fuse block or inline fuse holder.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. I wonder why the people at tweeter did not do such a thing for me, thought that is what i was getting since they are so damn expensive with everything...ah well, never again.

What size fuse would be optimal? And can they be purchased at like circuit city or best buy?

·
Registered
293 Posts
sorry for the thread jack, but are you talking about the fuse that comes when you get one of those amp hook up kits..the in-line ones?..

IMO i would save my 50bucks and do the install of the headunit myself. I puilled my dash apart and it wasnt all that hard, i think that you should be able to pu tthe whole system in in less than a day. Theres tons of how-to's on here if you need to reference..good luck

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you should look close under the hood. i cannot imagine any shop not installing the fuse holder at the battery end. it may be under loom. if it's not there, swing by the shop and have them explain the install to you & install one if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts