Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

First off, I'll apologize because I was not sure where to put this post so I decided to try here. When I first got my 6 the ambient temperature always seemed to be correct, or at most a degree or two off. But lately, it's been WAY off. The other day it was 45 degrees here and the sensor said it was 71 degrees. I know the manual for the car says that it may not be 100% accurate sometimes, but that inaccurate is crazy. The sensor only costs 18 bucks. I was thinking about buying a new one and just replacing it. Has anyone else had an issue/problem with their sensor? My 6 is only a 2004 with 23000 miles on it.

Finally, my most important question, does anyone know where the sensor is so I can replace it myself, my car is still under warranty, but my dealership as been absolutely horrendous with customer service since I bought it, and if I can do it myself I rather do that. So if anyone knows where I could find a tutorial or anything like that, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks

_matt

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've had a lot of problems with the sensor in my speed6. my other two M6s never had a problem, but the 2006 seems to be off up to 30 degrees F in the summer months. the symptoms i've observed are: when it's hot outside like 90-105F and the car has sat all day, when started the ambient temp will read the last temp from the morning, i.e. 70-75F. after driving, the temp will increase a degree or two every few minutes until it reaches 80-85F and stay; still 5-20F off. i haven't had a problem since september or so.

we had another thread going for this a few months back; i know there are several club6ers with the same issue.

mine's been to the dealer several times for this issue. i've even shown the service advisor, but still no resolution.

here's one earlier thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's still not a good thing, but it's good to know I'm not the only one with the problem. It's stupid that it doesn't work right, because when I got the car that a feature I thought was pretty neat. It's even more stupid that the dealer can't do anything for you. I don't expect it to be weather.com accurate, but I'd like it to work right.

One thing you mentioned though is that it shows the last reading when you start up your car, mine never does that. It is always way above the actual temperature. This morning it was 35F outside and when I started the car up it said that it was 65F, it went down a little bit to around 46F after driving for awhile.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My wife old car(2004 new bettle convertible) did something similar. When ever the car would sit either is really hot temps of really cold temps it wouild be way off, but after some time of driving it would slowly correct itself. ?But never to the proble you all are telling about. Best of luck fiunding that aproblem. If you look at your dash from the outside, on the drivers side before the gauge cluster you will wsee this nubb looking lika thing. It not hard too see it, I beleive thats the sensor. One thing that all the car makers say in the manual is that if yoiu yoiu have anything covering the sensor, It will not be correct.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm not sure the location of the sensor, but I'm positive that where it is causes the problems everyone sees. Ideally, the sensor would be 6' above the roof of the car to get any sort of accurate temp. Obviously, thats not possible, so it has to be located under hood, in the air inlet, around a bumper, etc.

I've noticed that its fairly accurate if it has sat overnight, but in direct sunlight or after being driven, it is too high, and takes some country road or highway speeds for a couple minutes to bring things back to where it should be. Not that anyone really needs to know outside temp except to brag to your friends, "Hey, my car knows how hot/cold it is outside". The only time I ever need to know outside temp, is flying through the clouds, worrying about airframe icing (deadly stuff). Shouldn't you guys be worrying more about rattles and squeaks?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts