Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does the ambient temp measure? Temp outside or inside? Yesterday it was in the mid 80's here and the ambient temp said it was like 99 degrees.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I searched the forums so I hope this isn't a repeat post.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ambient is outside, but if the car has been sitting for any length of time the temp tends to be off by 10 or so degrees (Sun/Shade), after the car has been running/moving it gets closer to the actual temp. I still think its about 4 or 5 degrees off, but nothing that bothers me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ambient is outside, but if the car has been sitting for any length of time the temp tends to be off by 10 or so degrees (Sun/Shade), after the car has been running/moving it gets closer to the actual temp. I still think its about 4 or 5 degrees off, but nothing that bothers me.
[/b]
Well, since Ambient means 'outside', I figured it was supposed to be the outside temp. But since it was so far off, I figured Mazda made it the temp inside the car. I'll have to check it out after I drive for a bit to see if it becomes more accurate.

Thanks mike2005

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ambient means "surrounding area" in a general sense. (like ambient music, ambient temperature etc) It doesnt mean "outside".

In the Maz6 Ambient temp reading is outside the car but of course its going to be way off like Mike2005 said.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah, the heat from the inside of the car may throw off the sensor a little bit more too, regardless the things not 100% accurate, but being over 5 degrees off after becoming adjusted is a little odd.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, the heat from the inside of the car may throw off the sensor a little bit more too, regardless the things not 100% accurate, but being over 5 degrees off after becoming adjusted is a little odd.
[/b]
Thats what I was thinking because yesterday when I got in my car, it said 107. When I was stuck in traffic running from hurricane Rita, my ambient reach up to 120.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't make sense to me why it would be off by 4 or 5 degrees unless it's messed up somehow. Why would they put it on the car if it's going to be way off?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me why it would be off by 4 or 5 degrees unless it's messed up somehow. Why would they put it on the car if it's going to be way off?
[/b]
It's not really off - it's reflecting the temperature of the area around the temperature sensor. That will never be exactly the same as the open-air temperature.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have found more often than not .... say 8 out of 10 , the temp. indicator being spot-on when hearing the temp. on the radio (other times off by no more than a rare 2 deg.) this always when I had been rolling a short time .

Like you guys mention ; the surrounding temp . It can fluctuate a couple of degrees (1-2 in my case) when car warms up at start-up . I tend to look at it first-thing to get the most accurate reading in winter .... in warm temps ; I will wait till I get to roll a short distance to get the real ambient air and not the stagnent air building up heat in the motionless sunshine heated air . Also to be noted , in winter , it is not affected by wind-chill factor , such as when you are cruising .

Now I just wish I had the fuel mileage metering gadget working right over the 6's clock , like the 3 series have . It's there , but not in use .... look at the unlighted LEDs next time .

·
Registered
226 Posts
The temperature sensor is at the front of the engine bay. So, if you're sitting in traffic or letting the car sit anywhere with a warm engine for any length of time, the sensor will take in a bit of excess heat. Driving & getting some fresh air through it normally makes it read correctly again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The temperature sensor is at the front of the engine bay. So, if you're sitting in traffic or letting the car sit anywhere with a warm engine for any length of time, the sensor will take in a bit of excess heat. Driving & getting some fresh air through it normally makes it read correctly again!
[/b]
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks madlandrover!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The temp is always going to be way high sitting in a hot parking lot, esp. with a hot engine. Drive around a while and it will be close.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i've noticed mine to be pretty damn accurate once i get rolling. like everyone else has said it definately is hotter when your car is sitting in the sun in a parking lot.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yesterday it was in the mid 80's here and the ambient temp said it was like 99 degrees.
[/b]
You think that's bad? I had a Ford Fusion rental car this week and after the car had been sitting outside for about 20 minutes, I started it up and it read 136 degrees! LOL! After driving for a couple miles, it dropped down to 93, so the area around the sensor must've been pretty hot!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I find after driving to settle the temp, mine is spot on except in extreme cold. When it's below zero, the car reads a few degrees warm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
14 Participants
kdn02
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing