Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Personally I always find it funny, both in the context of this oil thread and another transmission fluid thread, how people look to save a few bucks here and there at the expense of reliability or early failure. While cars are designed to tighter tolerances and allegedly lower maintenance, they are still very complex machines that require care. Arguing over how long can I get by before having to change what is arguably one of the more affordable aspects of maintenance is just weird to me, when compared to say taking the chance on having a tech rebuilt an engine or hoping a new tranny will run in well with an older engine. Laugh or not cars are very holistic machines that depend on MANY hundreds of parts working in harmony over a multitude of environmental extremes.

When I purchased my turbo sig I decided that it makes a helluva lot more sense to change oil and other critical fluids more often than required given the way I drive and the increased stress due to the turbo and heat. So, say, instead of spending a hundred dollars a year on oil changes, I'll spend 200 a year. For me that extra hundred is worth the peace of mind knowing my turbo is getting cleaner oil that is more effective at pulling away heat AND less likely to cause carbon build up (if thats really a thing with these engines). I consider myself a reasonably educated and informed guy, but I will never know my car as well as the people who spent millions, of not billions on R&D. And if by chance the turbo or tranny does fall prey to early failure at least I have somewhat defensible pisition with my dealer and Mazda.

Of course as we know everyone has their opinion. But personally trying to save a few bucks on a product that cost you many thousands seems a bit shortsighted IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 21 of 21 Posts