Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done watching a cool video from someone I follow on YouTube. This guy test all sorts of things from different duct tapes to whatever. Today's video deals with motor oil and how they compare to each other. Just thought it was great and wanted to pass it along. My oil is due to be changed and I'm really considering the Basics oil now lol.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just got done watching a cool video from someone I follow on YouTube. This guy test all sorts of things from different duct tapes to whatever. Today's video deals with motor oil and how they compare to each other. Just thought it was great and wanted to pass it along. My oil is due to be changed and I'm really considering the Basics oil now lol.

https://youtu.be/a9DWGtXpYUc
I follow him too!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
I like his videos as well.
I know Scotty Kilmer did a video on this stuff as well. Sounds like pretty good quality oil for the price.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I can't watch him, he's a little creepy to me lol. I don't know if half the time he's straight up or he's bulshitting lol.
Yeah I used to watch Kilmer. Thoight he had some pretty good perspective, until I realized he was spreading irroneous info about makes beyond his golden child 10 year plus old Toyotas. Some of his info around Mazdas is sooooo yotally out of date. Find his videos no kore than click bait now. Chris Fix is much better imo.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I used to watch Kilmer. Thoight he had some pretty good perspective, until I realized he was spreading irroneous info about makes beyond his golden child 10 year plus old Toyotas. Some of his info around Mazdas is sooooo yotally out of date. Find his videos no kore than click bait now. Chris Fix is much better imo.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I do like watching Chris Fix. Love the fact that he's all about "do it yourself " at home with basic hand tools. I suggest him to anyone that is just starting out in cars in general. How to fix rust, paint, clean, etc. I am wanting to try and get a better turning radius in my 1st gen the same way he did his Mustang. Don't know if it will work on the Mazda or not but that's what people did back in the day. Funny seeing people do it then complain about a busted cv joint lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can't watch him, he's a little creepy to me lol. I don't know if half the time he's straight up or he's bulshitting lol.
Yea some stuff he says I take with a grain of salt. This video was pretty informative though. I think he brags too much about how Amazing Toyota's are.
I can't drive Toyota's, they bore me to death.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea some stuff he says I take with a grain of salt. This video was pretty informative though. I think he brags too much about how Amazing Toyota's are.
I can't drive Toyota's, they bore me to death.
Yeah he was tame in this video compared to some of his others that I've seen. He said that he recommends it so that's at least 2 youtubers that would use it. Higher rating than red line and half the price. I can deal with that lol. My wife's bug takes 0w20 synthetic anyway so going with Amazon to get the oil just makes sense now.

I'll order some up in a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It was 19.99 for a 5qt jug of 5w 20 and the same for my wife's bug. Now if they can start making m5 trans fluid, it would make for cheap trans flushes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I believe it's from the same place that mixes WalMart's Super Tech synthetic oil. Same stuff, but the Super Tech is a bit cheaper.

·
Rally Racer
2,066 Posts
DJ Raydiate;5036080... I am wanting to try and get a better turning radius in my 1st gen the same way he did his Mustang. ...[/QUOTE said:
This would be great. I have never had a vehicle with worse turning radius. My Odyssey Minivan can turn a circle completely inside the circle the Mazda can do with enough room in between to let the children play inside the difference.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
Man....it's a good thing Get_Inline isn't around any more for this one lol.

Very interesting video though - makes me glad I haven't once used Valvoline...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Interesting that they compared Valvoline traditional against 2 synthetics. Suppose it was to show the difference between the 2 types. At any rate, I'm still convinced that Mobil-1 is the better oil. Sure, the Amazon Basics did better in subzero temps but for a majority of people that's not going to be an issue. The bearing wear test is what sold it for me. As for cost, I find that O'Reilly has a rebate sales on Mobil-1 about 2-3 times a year, getting it down to about $18 for a 5qt jug after rebate. So in that respect, it can be even less than the Amazon oil.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm a Pennzoil Pure Platinum fan for the Sky NA engines; been running it now for ~170,000 miles. Burns less than a quart over the interval of use, comes back with insanely good UOAs every time I've pulled one, readily available at Wally and inexpensive (~$22/5qt jug.)

If there was a material reason to consider switching I would, but Wally takes back the old oil too and since you have to go somewhere to do that I'm already making the trip there. While dropping off the old I grab a jug of new for the next time around so there's no time or shipping investment involved either.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DJ Raydiate;5036080... I am wanting to try and get a better turning radius in my 1st gen the same way he did his Mustang. ...[/QUOTE said:
This would be great. I have never had a vehicle with worse turning radius. My Odyssey Minivan can turn a circle completely inside the circle the Mazda can do with enough room in between to let the children play inside the difference.

Oh my God. So much this. Why is it that the F150 I drive for work turns in sharper?!? I shouldn't have to do a 3 point turn when trying to do a U turn on a road with 2 lanes each... (._.)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Higher rating than red line and half the price. I can deal with that lol. My wife's bug takes 0w20 synthetic anyway so going with Amazon to get the oil just makes sense now.

I'll order some up in a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It was 19.99 for a 5qt jug of 5w 20 and the same for my wife's bug. Now if they can start making m5 trans fluid, it would make for cheap trans flushes.
Both the tester and you seem to be easily swayed by factors that are of dubious significance. Let's start with the cold-flow test that features prominently in the YouTube video. The tester is comparing 10W-30 oils against each other, but there is granularity in the 10W-30 specification. That is, there are no 9W-30 or 11W-30 oils on the market, because the only spec that is allowed between 5W and 20W is 10W; what 10W really means is “closer to 10W than to 5W on the light side, and closer to 10W than to 20W on the high side,” IOW, “somewhere between 8W and 14W." The differences in observed flow in the “scientific” YouTube video tests can easily be explained by two of the oils being low 10W oils and the third being a high 10W oil. In the test, the Valvoline 10W-30 oil was more viscous (flowed more slowly ) than the other two tested oils, but if you had tested a 5W-30 Valvoline against the two, very probably, it would have flowed the fastest of the three oils. Mental exercise: ask yourself if that means that a 5W-30 Valvoline is “better” than a 10W-30 Amazon Basics.

Moreover, the relationship between temperature and viscosity is anything but linear: while all motor oils are more viscous at low temperatures and thinner at high temperatures, if you could find two oils that had identical viscosity at 32° F, and tested their viscosity at 0° F. and -10° F., it is quite possible that you could find that oil A was more viscous than oil B at 0° while oil B was more viscous than oil A at -10°. So the “leave in the freezer” test is useful only as to the specific temperature for which the freezer was set.

Now, as to price. If you use a good oil filter (e.g., Royal Purple) and do not spend a lot of time driving in sandstorms or frequently driving only a mile or two afterstarting the engine before shutting down the engine and leaving it to cool, then you should get at least 7,500 mile OCI (oil change intervals) with no damage to your engine. Wal-Mart sells top-tier name brand motor oils in 5-quart jugs for about $25; and you say Amazon is selling essentially non-branded synthetic oil (chances are Amazon buys from the refiner that sells at the price that Amazon makes the most profit) for $20. So (setting aside that your oil needs per change are not exactly 5 quarts) the price difference between Amazon Basics and a known quality name brand oil is about $5.00, spread over 7,500 miles, or a little over 66 one-thousandths of one penny per mile. Keep “expensive” in perspective.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to share the vid. Thought people might like it. While yes top name brands can be had for cheaper, if I can get "Good" oil on the cheap, why not. That's just extra money towards other things. I'm just an average middle - low class person with a family. If I can save 10 bucks on oil changes then that's 10 extra bucks that I can have for my car fund lol.

I didn't share the video to change anyone's mind on what oil they run or anything. Hell, I didn't even know Amazon sold house oil.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just wanted to share the vid. Thought people might like it. While yes top name brands can be had for cheaper, if I can get "Good" oil on the cheap, why not. That's just extra money towards other things. I'm just an average middle - low class person with a family. If I can save 10 bucks on oil changes then that's 10 extra bucks that I can have for my car fund lol.

I didn't share the video to change anyone's mind on what oil they run or anything. Hell, I didn't even know Amazon sold house oil.
I'm right there with you. I'm a cheapskate but also don't jeopardize my car. I'm no car expert but I've owned a few by now and I've never once lost one due to anything engine related, much less oil related. In my opinion it doesn't matter what oil you use, just change it reasonably close to the recommended interval and you'll be fine. Oil brands are such an emotional issue for a lot of people.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lmfao, right. That's with anything in the auto market. I've only had 1 blown engine in my life and that was due to a freeze plug that blew out on the middle of the highway in a 88 v6 camaro shortly after I had bought it. A 350 went in its place lol.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
While yes top name brands can be had for cheaper, if I can get "Good" oil on the cheap, why not. That's just extra money towards other things. I'm just an average middle - low class person with a family. If I can save 10 bucks on oil changes then that's 10 extra bucks that I can have for my car fund lol.
Penny-wise and pound-foolish. If you are using good quality oil with a good oil filter, you can extend your oil change intervals — with confidence — to 7,500 miles. If you cheap out on a poor filter and commodity oil, you are rolling the dice if you go beyond 3,000 miles for your OCI, even if that interval is well below the OCI recommended in the owner’s manual. You may “save” ten bucks per oil change, but you will need twice as many oil changes over the long run.

Let us be clear what running broken down oil and a dirty filter gets you: in the short-to-medium run, at least, you are not going to get a blown engine; that’s not the way it works. What you are going to get is a more rapidly wearing engine. Leaks showing up in your driveway. Loss of compression (and thus power). More frequent trips to the mechanic to fix “little things.”

Better oil is not going to extend the time that your wiper blades clean the windshield; as long as you do not change your driving style, you still are going to have to replace your brake pads as often. You still need to change your transmission fluid as often as you did before. You still need to keep the coolant in your radiator fresh. But better oil with a better filter will prolong the working life of your engine, and that will save you more money than the pennies that you save per oil change by cheaping out on your motor oil and filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts