Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all about mods and modding my car but based on how sophisticated the driveline is and how much this car costs I am a bit squimish about diving hard into the car potentially voiding the warranty. Am I the only one that feels this way? I plan to drop a CAI and Cat-Back in and may even lower the car a bit but I dont think I have the "sack" to go any further and my buddy is my service manager. Tell me how you feel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am all about mods and modding my car but based on how sophisticated the driveline is and how much this car costs I am a bit squimish about diving hard into the car potentially voiding the warranty. Am I the only one that feels this way? I plan to drop a CAI and Cat-Back in and may even lower the car a bit but I dont think I have the "sack" to go any further and my buddy is my service manager. Tell me how you feel.
[/b]
don't be afraid to do those simple mods... I'm nervious about slapping a bigger turbo on, but i wouldn't think twice about intake exhaust and springs

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't be afraid to do those simple mods... I'm nervious about slapping a bigger turbo on, but i wouldn't think twice about intake exhaust and springs
[/b]
I am not too worried about the mods I mentioned but I read alot of stuff about people planning to do all sorts of stuff like FMIC, larger turbos etc... Thos are the mods that scare me. I am just wondering if I am the only gutless turd :) around here?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I am not too worried about the mods I mentioned but I read alot of stuff about people planning to do all sorts of stuff like FMIC, larger turbos etc... Thos are the mods that scare me. I am just wondering if I am the only gutless turd :) around here?
[/b]
Honestly, you'll find that a lot of that, dare I say, most of that talk, is just that -- talk. For every person that says they going to do something, only 1 in about 50 of them will actually pony up the dough to do it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
this has been covered time and time again

the service dept has to prove that a mod you did caused the problem that there is...on top of that, they ahve to call in a rep to void your warrenty, the service dept can't...on top of that they typically don't just void the whole thing, they would void the electrical or the exhaust or something like that, not the whole thing

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
this has been covered time and time again

the service dept has to prove that a mod you did caused the problem that there is...on top of that, they ahve to call in a rep to void your warrenty, the service dept can't...on top of that they typically don't just void the whole thing, they would void the electrical or the exhaust or something like that, not the whole thing
[/b]
This isn't that kind of topic.

This guy is talking about mods that clearly void your power and/or drive-train warranties, and people's proclivity towards doing them. Things like larger turbos, FMICs (this one probably wouldn't hurt much), altering the torque allocation, etc.

·
Registered
403 Posts
This isn't that kind of topic.

This guy is talking about mods that clearly void your power and/or drive-train warranties, and people's proclivity towards doing them. Things like larger turbos, FMICs (this one probably wouldn't hurt much), altering the torque allocation, etc.
[/b]
Also, you can quote law to the dealer all you want, but if you have to force them to comply I imagine the legal PITA will be worse than any mechanical PITA you've been through. Sometimes the threat is enough, but I'm sure a dealer who feels justified will make you take them to court, even if it's only a small claims court.

Anybody out there who has actually enforced their post-mod warranty against an unwilling dealer?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Remember that a dealer can DENY any and all service if you have an aftermarket modification. It is their right under the moss-mag act.

So even if a dealer doesn't void your warranty directly, they can deny service...and if you have limited dealers in your area, you could be SOL without having your warranty ever been voided.

Please talk to your service manager prior to doing any mods if you use a dealership for maintaince and service.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Tint, boost gauge, Cai, bov, springs, catback, adjustable shocks, rims/tires....in that order. At least thats the way it would go in 2 to 3 years time and 45,000 miles.

Bigger mods can be made when its paid off for one and when its out of warranty in my opinion.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What I don't get is how things like a CAI (besides a freak water lockup in a flood) or a FMIC can hurt the engine. Better airflow and a cooler intake charge (avoiding detonation) would seem to be beneficial for engine life.

I guess increased power would create more strain on the rest of the drivetrain though?!?!?

·
Registered
449 Posts
99.9% of the time things like that won't hurt anything. However, it is still a part that wasn't designed or tested by the manufacturer so the auto gods do it to cover their asses in case someone does put something poorly designed or improperly installed onto a vehicle.

Like mazda is coming out with a CAI, its been designed and tested by the OE manufacturer so it carries a warranty(at least i think it does, too lazy to check-but you get the idea). However an auto manufacturer would have no money/time/desire to test every part made by someone else and bless it for use on a vehicle.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
My dealer supplied my car with the exhausts and lowerd springs so they are all under warranty. But I wish they can go further that provide my car with a CAI , BOV, or even Boostcontroller .....but I am dreaming :)

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I guess increased power would create more strain on the rest of the drivetrain though?!?!?[/b]
With an FI system you have to be careful, as changes can effect the spoolup and over pressure of the system.

Here's some examples of "Worst Case Scenario's"

An FMIC won't harm the system, and it will prevent detonation...but what if it causes a 1-2 psi pressure drop? How are you going to get that psi back? (Most likely by raising the boost) Introducing additional IC volume (especially with piping) can also create a lag situation as the IC must be pressurized as well as the rest of the system before boost can be built. Fiddling with the boost to gain back the psi you lost can also create problems (obviously).

a VTA (Vent to atmosphere) BOV can cause momentary spikes/lean states during shifts, screwing with the expected/actual pressures. These in turn can cause the PCM to freak out, and possibly momentarily retard timing, cut boost, or dump tons of fuel into the engine. Depending on its reaction, you can end up with lost power, momentary lean states (piston skylights ftw), and an increased chance of detonation.

The flow of the engines exhaust through the turbo is what powers the entire system. Heat and pressure build the turbo speed, which pressurizes the intake side. When pressure reaches a predefinied limit, a integral wastegate vents the excesse pressure into the exhaust system. Adding mods which increase the flow of exhaust through the turbo can change the speed at which the turbo responds and spins up (more power woo!). It is possible, depending on the level of wastegate design, that the build up becomes higher then the wastegate is possible of venting, which means excess pressure is funneled back to the intake side, which creates higher boost, which can't be vented, which creates higher boost...you get the picture.

Those are examples of worst case (everything goes wrong) situations. Generally though these mods are rather harmless and do nothing but aid the spool of the turbo, lower charge temps, prevent boost leakage, and make awesome power.

As always you should heavily educate yourself about any mods you'll be performing on your car, and if you aren't willing to do your own maintaince, you should directly talk to the service manager of your dealership before attempting any.

Once again (And I'll post these another 1000 times)

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell (Easy fun read)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/083760160...5Fencoding=UTF8

Forced Induction Performance Tuning (Technical and indepth)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/185960691...glance&n=283155

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
crossbow
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing