Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new here and holy crap my speed6 has been stupid bad since i got it and i need to know if this is just me or if this is what these things are like in general. Ive had it on the road for 3 months and so far ive had

2 smart keys fail and get replaced
Powersteering pump fail
Turbo seals blow
Bypass valve fail
Valve cover gasket replacement
Rear motor mount fail
HVAC controls short

Is this kinda crap gonna happen often with this and if so is there anything i can do to make stuff more reliable? I love it when it runs right but if these things offer no light at the end of the tunnel i may sell

YES BEFORE YOU ASK IT WAS THOROUGHLY INSPECTED BY A TRUSTED MECHANIC

·
Registered
128 Posts
How many miles? What is the ownership and maintenance history of the car? Was it flooded or wrecked? What does CarFax show? Where did the car come from, and where is it now? Inspections cannot predict what will fail.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Other than the HVAC controls shorting, all the other issues are in line with what I would expect from an aging Speed6. It sure sucks to pay for it all, but those are "normal" issues with these cars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
200,000 miles. The UVIP i got showed it belonged to dealers and fleets. It was dealer maintained most its life and if i remember correctly there was something about another engine. Can you guys give me any insight on what other 'normal' maintainence i should expect? I plan on rebuilding my power steering pump and turbo shortly and itd be nice to know if i should tackle anything else while im there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know the miles are high too but the car was running and was offered as safetied at a very low price. A decent speed6 near me runs $7000. This was 3 and came with some records and fresh work done

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I don't have first hand knowledge with a speed6 but I have heard that the timing chain and guides as well as the cam vvt valve are regular maintenance items that if not done will basically trash the engine on failure due to valve interference with the pistons.

·
Registered
941 Posts
WIth 200K miles then it is no surprise it needed all that work.

I agree, mileage is a state of mind. I just bought a 2003 Dodge Durango with 311,000KM on it and it hardly made me blink. Was owned by a Dodge tech for the wife so it had awesome maintenance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the VVT should be good. Last guy did it before i got it. Is there anything else major to expect though?

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you want the best possible reliability then you need to address and assess each system/component on the car and stay on top of them once you do.

My 04 V6 sucked over $2K out of me when I put it on the road 3 years ago. Since then I have done nothing but change the oil and a few bulbs that burnt out. It was alot to spend on a car I just got, but it has paid for itself in reliability.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My 04 V6 sucked over $2K out of me when I put it on the road 3 years ago. Since then I have done nothing but change the oil and a few bulbs that burnt out. It was alot to spend on a car I just got, but it has paid for itself in reliability.
This is exactly what I did with my 04 6s V6. I had to replace suspension parts (mostly for bushings) lower motor mount, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and coils and various other small wear items. Some were because they needed to be done right away and others were because I wanted to have a known good part (at a designated mileage) as the car did not come with a repair history.

Just because parts wear out over time due to use, does not mean a car is unreliable.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
This is exactly what I did with my 04 6s V6. I had to replace suspension parts (mostly for bushings) lower motor mount, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and coils and various other small wear items. Some were because they needed to be done right away and others were because I wanted to have a known good part (at a designated mileage) as the car did not come with a repair history.

Just because parts wear out over time due to use, does not mean a car is unreliable.
+20 to this. Annoying to think that people expect reliability without performing proper and expected maintenance. Cars are machines. Machines need to be cared for. If you dont care for them they will become unreliable. BUT through no fault of the manufacturer or car BUT the owner. The OWNER is responsible for maintaining the car and knowing what they're getting into when they buy a certain car. Its like those banana heads who fault reliability of the RX8 because it consumes oil and burns up if the engine is oil starved. Get a grip, do your fucking research. Rotaries burn oil. So if you want the RX8 to behave like a Camry buy a goddam appliance and stop disparaging the manufacturer and car. Do your RESEARCH.

Of course there are situations involving defective parts and poor design. But again do ing your research will reveal these cases. And the buyer has the choice to buy knowing there are issues with parts amd design or not.

/end rant

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with you guys completely. Im more asking this from the shock that came from all this at once. Usually i am super on top of maintainence so this never happens. My old altima was a prime example of that. I got it to a point where all i did was oil changes til it crashed at 430000+kms

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I hear ya... it's shocking sometimes to deal with stuff all at once. That said, all but the HVAC and maybe the smart keys seem to me to be regular maintenance items for a speed6 at your mileage. I always try and lool at repairs to my older cars (all ive ever driven) as compared to car payments. If I amortize my annual repairs over 12 months, how does that compare to a newer car that i have to have a car payment for? Usually the maintenance costs will be MUCH lower than a newer car's car payment. Hopefully this will help you when a few things go wrong all at once.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts