Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a speed6, and actually found some decent deals, however it seems my wallet may not be able to handle it. Or thats what the finance companies say. In reality I could afford a speed no problemo, but I cant get financing and I dont want to try anymore and sacrifice my credit more. So today as I was drooling over mazdas in grand rapids MI I see a 6 that fit my desire. 2006 M6 Sport, v6, manual(must), moonroof(big sell point for me), black interior, power everythang. Price after rebates is 22500is(before MAC if i get financed), not quite as low as I'd like, but not to bad. Plus the dealer was a really cool that didn't just try to upsell or screw me over, and he treated me as the adult I am(See my horrible dealer experience thread in the lounge). So I decided to try and get financed, haven't heard anything back yet, as they'll run it all saturday or monday(we were working the deal at 5, and I knew I couldn't drive it home today anyhow cause my insurance company closed at 5). Test drove it- not in the same realm as a speed6, but its still nice. Be glad to still have the fold down rear seats too, not have to use premium and have a bit better gas mileage(25 miles to work one way, plus I love driving any chance I get- this car is fun to drive!). But in the end, am I going to be satisfied with this not-super-fast car? Does the m6 get looks of 'wow, nice car' from random people around town? Thats what I'd like. One of the main reasons for this car is because noone in my area has em, theres no mazda dealers for 40 miles in any direction. Obviosly you'll see the odd one now n then, but usually its older peopleses with them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've been wanting a speed6, and actually found some decent deals, however it seems my wallet may not be able to handle it. Or thats what the finance companies say. In reality I could afford a speed no problemo, but I cant get financing and I dont want to try anymore and sacrifice my credit more. So today as I was drooling over mazdas in grand rapids MI I see a 6 that fit my desire. 2006 M6 Sport, v6, manual(must), moonroof(big sell point for me), black interior, power everythang. Price after rebates is 22500is(before MAC if i get financed), not quite as low as I'd like, but not to bad. Plus the dealer was a really cool that didn't just try to upsell or screw me over, and he treated me as the adult I am(See my horrible dealer experience thread in the lounge). So I decided to try and get financed, haven't heard anything back yet, as they'll run it all saturday or monday(we were working the deal at 5, and I knew I couldn't drive it home today anyhow cause my insurance company closed at 5). Test drove it- not in the same realm as a speed6, but its still nice. Be glad to still have the fold down rear seats too, not have to use premium and have a bit better gas mileage(25 miles to work one way, plus I love driving any chance I get- this car is fun to drive!). But in the end, am I going to be satisfied with this not-super-fast car? Does the m6 get looks of 'wow, nice car' from random people around town? Thats what I'd like. One of the main reasons for this car is because noone in my area has em, theres no mazda dealers for 40 miles in any direction. Obviosly you'll see the odd one now n then, but usually its older peopleses with them.
[/b]
If its good looks that you want, get regular mazda 6 s, its both sporty, eye catching, and with some modding and good waxing/maintenence, it will definetly catch some eyes, if you don't care about speed, go with the 4 cylinder, all 6's look nice, I like the look of the new ones better, but take it from me, it really does catch eyes if you mod it, 6's aren't the boring sedan like the slogans say, but if your wallet can handle it, go ahead and get the speed, although I think the regular m6's look better, stock sport kit of course, spoiler, and the sporty grill for on lookers. :yesnod: I personally would not spend the extra 5 grand for a car that takes premium only, plus its not like your going to drive really fast anyways on the road...with gas prices being what they are, i went with the 4 banger, looks nice, and get a manual, so your car will be fun to drive as well. :drive:

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You can get a speed6 for about 1k more than the 22500 that you were quoted on the 6s

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the one im trying to get financing on is a v6 stick. I absolutely have to have something with alot more power than my neon. Also the moonroof is a must. Speed is my only real consideration for the speed6, as the look is damn near the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
$22,500 sounds a bit high for an '06, most dealerships are unloading them this time of year for 5 or 6k off msrp.

Sounds like going to the Speed6 would stretch your finances, you should probably go with an "S" - and you should make a lower offer.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gas mileage isn't that much of an issue, the speed will get slightly better mileage than the v6 but not as good mileage as a 6i. I owned a 6i for 2 years and now have had the speed for 3 months so I speak from experience. I got 28mpg on average with the i.... 32mpg on the top end with all highway driving and not much heavy throttle. In the speed6 I've been getting about 24mpg driving the hell out of it.... haven't been easy on it yet to see what it could do if i was gentle. Find the extra 1500-2000 and get the speed6, you won't regret it.

And no, you don't have to drive crazy all the time or use all the power but it is nice to know you have it. The difference between an s and a speed powerwise and power delivery wise is night and day. If you haven't test driven both of them-- do it, you will without a doubt want the speed6 in your garage.

And requiring premium???? C'mon, the difference between 87 and 93 octane is 20 cents. Call it 3 dollars more per fill up. If it is that huge a deal to you I feel sorry. Find a way to save 50 cents a day and at the end of the week you'll have the difference you need to put high octane in.

The the Speed6, enjoy it, and then come to some car shows with us and maybe down to the track ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's good that you like the dealer. However, DaBears is right. In consideration of the crazy incentives from Mazda and MAC, a very reasonable target price for a Speed6 is 24,000. That's the price I can get right now on a speed with leather. This is not a special deal for me. It is the advertised price. If you don't want leather or a moonroof, you can get it for less.

I am also concerned about this waiting to get approved thing. My dealer got me approved at 10 p.m. on a Friday night with MAC. To be honest, finance companies are as leanient now as they have ever been. They allow the debt ratios to be much higher than I think is good. If they are worried about your ability to pay, you should give it some thought too.

Save yourself the stress of a high car payment. Get a 6i for 15K. Even with the four cylinder, you will have a great looking car with plenty of power to easily go the speed limit. You've got the rest of your life to get the "fancier, faster car".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
let me explain, my problem is I only have 6 mo credit history. I've always paid for everything cept current car in cash, I make plenty o dough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
let me explain, my problem is I only have 6 mo credit history. I've always paid for everything cept current car in cash, I make plenty o dough.
[/b]
I have almost zero credit. No credit cards or debt except my house mortgage. The only way I got the loan was a sizable down payment. I did the same thing on my house. When they start backing away from the table, I start waving more cash. I put down $3,500 on the 6i and they bit like a starving catfish.

I almost traded in my 6i for a pearl white speed with white leather today. Then, a lady friend said, "it looks just like what you drive now". She wanted to know what the difference was. I explained about the AWD, the 6 speed tranny, the power,...the speed! She says, "it takes you 1.5 hours to drive home because traffic moves less than 20 miles an hour up SH-75". I hung my head in defeat. Then, I smiled because I remembered I have a ridculously low car payment on the 6i. If I want leather seats, I'll get them with the next leatherseats.com GB.

Hope my 2cents helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bet you have a cosigner too eh? And the point of your story is that a speed is pointless unless you're racing, correct? Leather seats suck IMHO. I'm willing to put 4 grand down on my car, but I think when the dealer calls me back I'm gonna say he's gotta come down another 2 grand(assuming he got me financed) with a realistic goal of him dropping 1 grand. I do know most girls prefer looks over speed, they just like to be seen riding around in it wit ya.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bet you have a cosigner too eh? And the point of your story is that a speed is pointless unless you're racing, correct? Leather seats suck IMHO. I'm willing to put 4 grand down on my car, but I think when the dealer calls me back I'm gonna say he's gotta come down another 2 grand(assuming he got me financed) with a realistic goal of him dropping 1 grand. I do know most girls prefer looks over speed, they just like to be seen riding around in it wit ya.
[/b]
Nope no cosigner. I don't think my story had a point other than the fact that the speed looks too much like the 6i for me to justify an extra 9 grand. If you are going to put down 4K, then you have seriously tipped things in your favor. That down payment will reduce if not eliminate the risk of you being upside down if you default on the loan. It's a win win for the bank.

Offer four grand and tell him that you know you can get a speed for 6000 off MSRP plus an extra 1K credit from MAC if you finance with them. This is the standard package of deals offered by Mazda on the speed right now. Take 7 grand off of a 31k car and it becomes really hard to justify buying the car he wants to sell you. You should be able to get the car you spec'd for 19k. If he won't deal, walk out. Then, show back up on the last day of the month and remind him of the deal you want. Every dealership has monthly and quarterly sales quotas that their bonuses are based on. September 30 is the last day of the month and the last day of the second quarter. You will probably find them to be much more eager to sell you a car.

BTW, if you hate leather then you have even more speeds available for your pick. I am certain you can get a speed for the price he gave you on the other car. Just keep the insurance hike in mind. Good luck.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another consideration to make, given your financial concerns, is insurance. If you are still considering the MS6 you might want to get some comparative quotes between it and the 6s. I honestly don't know that there is a difference between the two, but it would be good to know. ;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
In MI, the difference between a 6i and speed6 was $156 for the year with AAA. Exact same coverage and deductibles all around. I'm 22 if that matters with a relatively clean driving record.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
buy a grand sport 6I, fully loaded for 14000,15000. sump 4000k into boosting it, and it will be lighter, and slightly quicker then a MS6. and u saved cash, and would be more original. but you would lose the awd, and extra gear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My worry at this point is, if he calls me and says he found financing for me. If thats the case, and he won't drop on the price any- I just wasted MORE of my credit score with them running it again. Don't get me wrong though I'm seriosly thinkin of walking away if he dont go down a good chunk. I'm not really looking to mod the hell out of a car right now, at least not one that has a factory warranty, but I'm sure with a ford v6 theres plenty-o upgrade possible.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Shave your head and become a monk, and give me your money... No wait sorry... HEHE

Get the car that makes you happy. If you can wait like a month and come up with even more down payment do that. If you want a nice car go with the 6s, it is a fast car bone stock for a stock car.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well, if you are worried about being happy with it... you stated that you own a neon right now. Sooooo yea, you would even be happier with a Kia. The V6 has a good amount of power expecially if you get a couple power add ons like exhaust and intake. (without the resonator, the V6 sounds awsome!) Then it opens it up a bit more i think. It will sound a lot better than the 4cyl anyway...yea who cares about having that whistling turbo sound when you have an exhaust that sounds like a lawn mower on its last leg. but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This has turned into a pretty interesting topic for the newb section :D

buy a grand sport 6I, fully loaded for 14000,15000. sump 4000k into boosting it, and it will be lighter, and slightly quicker then a MS6. and u saved cash, and would be more original. but you would lose the awd, and extra gear.
[/b]
Don't forget about the stiffer suspension, larger breaks, 18" wheels, more agresive exterior, sportier seats, and of course the ever important MAZDASPEED6 floormats!

Well, if you are worried about being happy with it... you stated that you own a neon right now. Sooooo yea, you would even be happier with a Kia. The V6 has a good amount of power expecially if you get a couple power add ons like exhaust and intake. (without the resonator, the V6 sounds awsome!) Then it opens it up a bit more i think. It will sound a lot better than the 4cyl anyway...yea who cares about having that whistling turbo sound when you have an exhaust that sounds like a lawn mower on its last leg. but thats just my opinion.
[/b]
If you think the speed6 sounds like a dieing lawn mower then I think you need to take another listen

Here's the way I see it, dealer is offering you a 6s for 22K, people are getting brand new MS6 sport (no leather and no sunroof) for 21-22K (see the MS6 pricing sticky in the mazdaspeed6 section) If you are dead set on spending that amount of money then go then your real decision comes to what you want out of the car. I don't want to sway your decision but IMO the MS6 is a blast to drive and handles great stock...2 of my main decisions in my purchase. Good luck and I would say take both cars out for another test drive and do not ruch yourself into any decisions...cars are a major purchase.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would have to agree with strtfghtr, cars are a major purcharse, you dont want to buy the car and then be taunted with, "I wish I would have gotten the other one." By the way, the lawn mower on its last leg thing...I was being sarcastic. I think you can make the V6 sound better though. Only if we had a turbo....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts