Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed 17s and need to scuttle my 16 steelies w/ the 205/50/17 Michelins (only 1800 miles on them). A tire store said they'll buy the tires for $10 a piece. Am I getting screwed or is that standard?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Doubt they could turn around and sell them for more than maybe $30-40. Only people that will buy used tires are those looking for dirt-cheap tires, and you can get them in that size brand-new for about $50.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I just installed 17s and need to scuttle my 16 steelies w/ the 205/50/17 Michelins (only 1800 miles on them). A tire store said they'll buy the tires for $10 a piece. Am I getting screwed or is that standard?
[/b]
First, I assume that there is a typo there and that you don't have 16" wheels with 17" tires on them.

Second, the good news is that the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 is a wildly popular choice by auto manufacturers for an OEM tire. A few months back, one of the big auto mags had a four-way comparison test of midsize sedans, including the Ford Fusion, the Honda Accord, some model of Hyundai, and something else, and all four of the sedans had the same brand and model of tires. Because probably a majority of drivers, when it comes time to replace their tires, look to get exactly the tire that is wearing out, there should be some demand for your tires. That is the good news part.

The bad news part is that the marketplace for used tires is damnedly hard to find. Most newspapers' classified sections have at best one or two ads for used tires, and the decline in popularity of newspapers as a place for listings has had a feedback loop effect, so nobody looks there anymore. Your local Craig's List might score an immediate buyer, or it may turn up nothing. Check out eBay, and you will see a lot of used tires auctions close with no bid having been placed.

Before I traded in my previous car at the end of April against the purchase of our Mazda6, I swapped the wheels and (nearly new high-end) tires off of the old car, putting back on the old car the OEM rims and tires it originally had, and then I put the good wheels up for sale on a forum similar to Mazda6club.com. It took me three full months to find a buyer that way, but eventually I managed to sell the four wheels with mounted tires for $100 apiece. I'm just citing this as the outer limit of what you could hope to realize from a sale if you work hard at it. Considering what you are selling, it is very highly unlikely that you will get $100 apiece for your four tires and wheels as I did for mine.

Here is a photo of the actual wheels and tires I sold: http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/show...795_45_full.jpg As you can see those wheels are a far cry from steelies, and those tires (Dunlop SP Sport 01 asymmetricals at the rear, toyoguy's beloved Proxes T-1S directionals at the front) are a big step up from the Michelin tires you will be selling.

So it is all a matter of how much your time is worth. My guess is that $10 each is low for a tire that is in demand, but you could easily spend forty hours finding a buyer to pay as much as $20 apiece for your wheels and tires, and most people would consider that $1/hour differential from the $10 apiece price the dealer is offering you a pretty poor wage.

If I were in your position, I would keep at least a pair of the old wheels and tires around as redundant spares or for putting on to drive on those occasional days when the road is littered with road hazards. If you have the space to store them, $40 foregone is a small price to pay for that kind of back-up.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
You can always list them here in the buy/sell section (make sure you read the new buy/sell rule first). In the winter time, there are many people looking for stock 16" or 17" wheels for winter tires.

FYI, I sold my 16" for $20 each. I can probably go higher but I just wanted to get rid of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can always list them here in the buy/sell section (make sure you read the new buy/sell rule first). In the winter time, there are many people looking for stock 16" or 17" wheels for winter tires.

FYI, I sold my 16" for $20 each. I can probably go higher but I just wanted to get rid of them.
[/b]

I already got rid of them for $10/ a piece. The used tire guy I sold them to was very happy to buy them, and he was very anxious to serve me once I pulled up, although he told me he would only take them for $10 a piece. I just wasn't in the mood to dicker today. Yeah, I got hosed, but I don't have any room for them at my place whatsoever.

The bad news is that after I unloaded my tires, one of my new tires went flat. So I drove it back to the tire place and found out that there was a leak in the ALT Rival rim - a manufacturing defect. So I gotta dick around with getting that replaced - probably take a few days. F&*^!!!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
If I were in your position, I would keep at least a pair of the old wheels and tires around as redundant spares or for putting on to drive on those occasional days when the road is littered with road hazards. If you have the space to store them, $40 foregone is a small price to pay for that kind of back-up.
[/b]
The bad news is that after I unloaded my tires, one of my new tires went flat. So I drove it back to the tire place and found out that there was a leak in the ALT Rival rim - a manufacturing defect. So I gotta dick around with getting that replaced - probably take a few days. F&*^!!![/b]
that is i still have my 16". I had no idea of how reliabe the 18" would be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts