Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two test drives, a short one and a longer one, I traded in my Jetta on an MS6 last night.

The drive home on some back roads was great. I got home, gave her a coat of LiquidGlass Wax, ordered a Garmin GPS from Amazon for the map bin, and went to bed a happy camper.

This morning it was raining and I began my usual 35 mile coummute which is a mix of highway, a bit of heavy traffic, and some suburbs streets. I started off again very pleased.

The problem was that by the time I arrived at work an hour later, I felt like the MS6 had worn me out. I am not talking about the stiff suspension, that is expected in a sports sedan. Rather, I found myself making constant small steering adjustments as she would continually wander and pull with no real rhyme or reason. My left arm and hand were downright tired after an hour. The seats, which seemed OK during the test drive seemed much less comfortable after an hour. No real lumbar support and the bottom part that goes out to your knees seems just a tad short for proper lateral support. Then I noticed that the wipers are noisy and jumpy, more like the ones on my old Ford Pickup than the silicone bosh units now used by VW that go about their business silently and efficiently.

Yes, I knew I was giving up some things going from the Jetta to the MS6, mostly in terms of attention to detail in the interior. I also knew I was gaining some things in terms of zoom-zoom. I just did not expect that after a 70 minute drive that I would feel exhausted from driving. I think it was the steering thing and the wipers that got to me the most and they then started me thinking that the seats are not really all that comfortable, the clutch is very heavy, etc. And no, it is not that I am accustomed to Buicks. I've had many "driver's cars" including BMW's, Alfa 164 sedan, etc. While they all involved you in the driving experience they also left you feeling great after a long drive.

Am I just having a bad morning or is this what the trade rags meant when they said the MS6 needs to go back to finishing school? Talk me off the ledge here!!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Maybe something is wrong with you physically?.....I know the comfort zone to me is about the same as a regular 6, haven't driven the clutch yet, but I know it's pretty strict.

Probably 10 times more strict than a VW jetta....

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
1. You need to adjust the seat around and find a comfortable position.

2. Wandering? maybe u need to get the steering aligned. It is pretty common to get a realignment. do it before 12mo/12000 miles for free.

3. Clean the glass and the wiper blades. If you got wax on your glass, it can make it chatter and jump.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
alignment after day 2? that's laughable. i had buyer's remorse on my ms6 but that's b/c my axle and ecu went bye bye after 10 days. i am now happy with my 6s hatch.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Only remorse I had was the night I picked it up the dealership was so chaotic and messed up that I wasn't sure if I had overpaid or got taken or not. Fortunately it all worked out and the remorse passed.

I love that f-n car.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the steering is tight & spot on. much more precise than any other car i've owned. sounds like you need to adjust your seat & lumbar support.

so far as the wiper? i've had no issues, maybe you need to clean the windshield & apply rain-x.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Look on the board for the thread "Things you miss about your old car". It's a fairly popular thread that's been around for quite a while. I think the thread's popularity is due to the fact there are certain things we miss from our prior rides. I think that happens anytime you buy a new car (unless you go like from a Kia Rio to an M3). I know I did, even from my Mazda6 to the MS6.

Now, the seats thing is strictly a personal issue. Since no two humans are exactly the same, one may find the seats uncomfortable while another may find them great. I fall into the latter category. As previously stated, try and adjust the seats and the steering wheel tilt as well as pull.

The wandering car is no doubt partially attributable to the suspension and grippy tires. Though I have to say my MS6 tracks very straight on the interstate.

Finally, the wiper blades do suck IMHO. I would upgrade to something a bit better. I am currently using the Innovision wiper blade and it works quite well. http://www.tricoproducts.com/brochure.cfm?...rchtricoPopular
But, a wiper blade upgrade is a minor thing.

Just give yourself some time. Soon you will begin to appreciate the attributes of the MS6.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I would like to use the same blade as my current 04 OEM blades. After three years of use, they don't chatter or streak! They still clean as nicely as they did day one. I'm sure it's different for the MS6.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
:laugh:
happy?
now tell me why it is laughable. And then I will give you as many reasons why you are a brother of Dabears2k
[/b]
b/c if a car needs alignment after 2 days that's not good. that's why i laughed.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
They (the mfgr) expects that there will be steering alignments needed once the car has left the factory. That is why they provide the 12 months time frame.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm sure your body is just getting used to a new car. How long did you have your Jetta? With that long of a commute, your body probably got used to the quirks of the Jetta, and now it needs to get used to the quirks of your MS6. Give it another few days; you should be fine and experiencing the euphora we all have come to know and love.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I actually did find the lumbar support adjustment. It is one thing the dealer missed showing me although I will say they went over the car very thoroughly. Adjusting it does seem to help. I will say that the VW manual seats are difficult to adjust comfortably but the VW power seat which I had is top notch. For me anyway, Jetta was a very comfortable car and great handling car from Day 1, it just lacked enough oomph!

I also picked up a set of Bosch Icon wiper blades and they made a huge difference. Not thrilled having to buy new wiper blades on a new car but not a huge expense.

Other than the wander/pull issue I suppose I am now down to minor things. The roof liner on the MS6 looks like they used felt from a romper room arts and crafts class. I miss the electroluminesent guages and the trip computer on the Jetta. I do like the HID headlights on the MS6.

But yes I agree that there will always be things you liked better about your last ride. Even had I purchased a new Maseratti sedan I might be regretting the payment book that comes with it.

In any event, the biggest worry right now is the wander and pull. In reading through other posts it looks like some have had it resolved with an alignment while others have simply been unable to get it solved. Do I take that chance? I *THINK* I am still within the window where I could swap back into my Jetta with perhaps just a minimal fee to cover the administrative stuff. Once the paperwork moves on to DMV that window is closed. Buying a new car should not come with this much anxiety!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
have the toe-in adjusted so that tires point inward. this will prevent wandering, but at the expense of darty steering reflexes.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
if you are having this much trouble deciding between the MS6 you bought and the Jetta you had then maybe you are shopping in the wrong class of vehicles. I think you might be much happier with an A4 or something of the like that has extreemly nice interiors, with a bunch of fancy little doodads that you might appreciate more. The interior of Jettas are nice..the newer ones anyway but I would never give up my MS6 for one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the messages. I think I am down off the ledge!

Took her for another nice long drive now that the rain has stopped and am reminded once again why I bought her. I *think* I finally found a comfy seating position (I hope so), the Bosh wipers are silent, and the engine makes up for little things like a cheesy headliner (I just won't look up!). My biggest realization after 24 hours is that the MS6 really could have been a great car and not just a good one had Mazda sweated a few small details. Then again, for the price I paid I have to be realistic in my expectations.

Yes, that wander still is there and it seems like the steering wheel is just a few degrees off center on straight, flat pavement. However, I talked to dealer and they assure me they will get it resolved. I suspect I was just overeacting in the sense that nobody likes to discover any problems in the first day of ownership with a new car. Besides, the dealer claims that the reason they could give me what I wanted on the Jetta was that they already had a buyer and it was picked up today. (True or not, the end result is the same, there is no going back).

So, what tires & wheels are folks running when the snow season hits?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have a 2004 - I think the 2006 model has a softer suspension...people complained that the ride was too stiff...the handeling and steering are amazing with respect to my car...I hit a pot hole at 950 miles and went for a realignment and it rode better than stock prior to the pot hole deal!!! A reputable garage will look at the car and not charge you if you do not need an alignment...I would go this route...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So, what tires & wheels are folks running when the snow season hits?
[/b]
I plan on getting a set of Blizzaks for the MS6 stock wheels, my SSR's I bought (which UPS is giving me the run around on :irate: ) will be my summer wheels.

I have a 2004 - I think the 2006 model has a softer suspension...people complained that the ride was too stiff...the handeling and steering are amazing with respect to my car...I hit a pot hole at 950 miles and went for a realignment and it rode better than stock prior to the pot hole deal!!! A reputable garage will look at the car and not charge you if you do not need an alignment...I would go this route...
[/b]
The 06 mazdaspeed6 has a much stiffer suspension than the 6s

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I just think you are being way too picky.....The Headliner??? come on.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts