Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, I have a 2006 Mazda 6i

When driving using normal flow through ventilation, (no air conditioner and no fan), it seems as if the heater is on. The car interior heats up.
I've set everything to their lowest settings, but no joy.

If I activate the air conditioner, the car interior cools down very quickly, so no problem there, but driving with the aircon on all the time is not ideal.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bernard

·
Registered
543 Posts
Good day all, I have a 2006 Mazda 6i

When driving using normal flow through ventilation, (no air conditioner and no fan), it seems as if the heater is on. The car interior heats up.
I've set everything to their lowest settings, but no joy.

If I activate the air conditioner, the car interior cools down very quickly, so no problem there, but driving with the aircon on all the time is not ideal.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bernard
Where are you located? If it's warm outside and you're driving around like that then the car will warm up. Also, you could be pulling air in from the engine bay. If you don't want the ac/ heat on, I'd pop a window down vs trying to use the through air. I've never owned a car that did well with just the through air.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On my 2006 I've noticed some heat will radiate out of the vents even with everything turned off if the last setting used was heat, but if I turn the temp down and turn the AC on for a sec then off then there issue goes away.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
I've noticed that in any mazda I've driven in, it seems that the HVAC remembers which temperature setting you last left it on and, even when the system is turned off, will slightly attempt to abide by that.

For example: You turn the Heat on, set it to 80F and then turn it off - you'll still feel heat coming out of the vents.

But if you turn it back on, put it down to 65F, then turn it back off, you'll feel cooler air coming through (so long as it's cooler than 80F out).

The HVAC won't actively try to cool or heat the air, but it will (seemingly) allow variable amounts of engine/environment heat to make its way into the cabin.

I've experienced this behavior in 6s, 3s, Cx5s, Cx9s, and the Miata.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've noticed that in any mazda I've driven in, it seems that the HVAC remembers which temperature setting you last left it on and, even when the system is turned off, will slightly attempt to abide by that.

For example: You turn the Heat on, set it to 80F and then turn it off - you'll still feel heat coming out of the vents.

But if you turn it back on, put it down to 65F, then turn it back off, you'll feel cooler air coming through (so long as it's cooler than 80F out).

The HVAC won't actively try to cool or heat the air, but it will (seemingly) allow variable amounts of engine/environment heat to make its way into the cabin.

I've experienced this behavior in 6s, 3s, Cx5s, Cx9s, and the Miata.
Well yea, the temp doesnt change unless the fan is on. So if the VENT is open, youll get that temp, this is normal. Llike i said, close the vent to recirc.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Most vehicles do not physically shut the coolant flow off to the heater core when the temperature selector is in the "cold" position; they shunt airflow around it but the coolant is still going through it. So on a start in particular it can (and probably has) heat soaked the plenum where it's located.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts