Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used an aluminum flywheel in many of my performance cars with great results and the feel of the Mazdaspeed 6 seems to indicate it comes with a very heavy flywheel. I found am aluminum flywheel at SRmotorsports but they seem to know little about it. I know that sounds strange, but no one there can tell me specifics except it is lighter and with their clutch it increases stiffness around 25%. No one there even remembers what it was like to drive a Speed6 with it installed?

Has anyone used theirs yet or know of another source. The dang stock flywheel is making me crazy and I am getting impatient.

Thanks!

·
Registered
375 Posts
i wouldnt think a lightweight flywheel would even be that great for the speed6.
you lose alot of low end torque with them and you need all of that to get the awd to move.
and not to mention it should be more prone to breakage

·
Registered
940 Posts
i wouldnt think a lightweight flywheel would even be that great for the speed6.
you lose alot of low end torque with them and you need all of that to get the awd to move.
and not to mention it should be more prone to breakage
[/b]
I doubt the flywheel would break.

Maybe the reduction in inertial mass in the drive line would reduce rear end destruction?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
[/b]
How does reducing the mass of the flywheel lower the torque produced by the engine?

·
Registered
353 Posts
It doesn't. This seems to be the big misconceptionw with lightweight flywheels. Here is something to read up on them.
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/nonameclutch.htm
Go down about 2/3 and it talks about lightweight flywheels.

They don't LOWER the torue. Stock flywheels are usually a little heavy because of the inertia of it helps to get the car moving, mostly for those older ladies or people who can't drive a stick well. A lightweight flywheel lets the engine rev faster and wil help accelerate. Sure, you have to learn to drive with it as it is also easier to slow down since its light but it should take maybe a 5 minute drive to get used to. Same thing with launching... takes a few tries to get used to but in no way is it hard to do.

A different problem we could have is that we have a dual mass flywheel stock, which, originally made for those companies who were having" gear" noise issues with their cars. nice idea but kind of a band aid for what it does. Hard for me to explain it but one of my friends worked for LuK and saw how clutches. flywheels were made and why some were made how they were. Many diesels use dual mass flywheels

·
Registered
18 Posts
I thought about a lightweight flywheel a couple weeks ago. it would really be awesome if the ms6 revved faster. (used to own rx-8). i would be really interested to see someone with this on the track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One possible draw-back: Some ECU's can't handle a very light flywheel... when you let off the revs will drop very quickly and potentially stall the car if the ECU doesn't correct fast enough. 9.25 lbs is light, but it does state that the 8# is racing and too light.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
that is for the regular mazda 6. not quite sure if it will work for ours

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
That is for the regular 6 only, correct.

There is ONE company who makes/sells one for the Speed6... only wish I can remember their website?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I think a 15lb flywheel would eb greay for the speed6, but 10lbs or under is gonna be hell, trust me, on a 3600 lb car a 10 ld flywheel will be a huge sacrifice in drivability, only the most hard core are going to want something that light. ANd it will put more strain on your clutch in launches (hard launches). Given our lack of torque below 2K rpms, i would look at a flywheel as a end of the run mod, on my old FWD ford probe though it was un real how much it helped!!!!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If anyone can confirm whether or not the regular 2.3 flywheel will fit the speed (nobody has been able to confirm this for me) then Exedy makes a 12lb unit that would be really sweet. A heavier flywheel will make the car harder to drive if you are not good at stick. The heavier flywheels carry more inertia and thereby make it easier to prevent stalling. The lighter flywheel won't have this ability but it will free up some power. I'm not a huge fan of the dual-mass flywheels. They were nothing but problems on the SVT Focus (former pocket rocket owner) and I would definately take mine off if given the chance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts