Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new member here. I need some help removing my alternator. I have searched through the forums and even google and have failed to find any good videos or walkthroughs on how to replace an alternator on a 3rd Gen Mazda 6.
I have a 2014 sport model with about 66k miles. The car would start this weekend, after jumping it, I tested the voltage, it measures at 13v. The battery tested good. It's also making a new whining noise. So I'm fairly certain it's the alternator. I have been able to disconnect the belt and wires. I got the top mounting bolt out but the lower bolt is my problem. It's so long that it hits the frame of the car before I'm able to get it free from the alternator.
Am I missing something? Has anyone else had to replace the alternator on a 3rd gen? Please help.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
@Faeraby2005
He replaced his starter and made a video on YouTube. You might want to check his channel and see if he tried replacing the alternator. Unfortunately, he has the earlier model.

I think @tickerguy has the same model year but I don't think he had any major repair done on his car. If I'm not mistaken, he is running at 200,000 km now, more or less.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
@Faeraby2005
He replaced his starter and made a video on YouTube. You might want to check his channel and see if he tried replacing the alternator. Unfortunately, he has the earlier model.

I think @tickerguy has the same model year but I don't think he had any major repair done on his car. If I'm not mistaken, he is running at 200,000 km now, more or less.
Im pretty sure its over 200k MILES, not km :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Canada changed in 1978... Me, I still drive 30 mph in the city... not 50 kmh lol. I still calculate gas mileage in miles per gallon (albeit Imperial gallons not US gallons... 20% larger gallons)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. I need some help removing my alternator. I have searched through the forums and even google and have failed to find any good videos or walkthroughs on how to replace an alternator on a 3rd Gen Mazda 6.
I have a 2014 sport model with about 66k miles. The car would start this weekend, after jumping it, I tested the voltage, it measures at 13v. The battery tested good. It's also making a new whining noise. So I'm fairly certain it's the alternator. I have been able to disconnect the belt and wires. I got the top mounting bolt out but the lower bolt is my problem. It's so long that it hits the frame of the car before I'm able to get it free from the alternator.
Am I missing something? Has anyone else had to replace the alternator on a 3rd gen? Please help.
Thank you in advance.
Hi there the alternator can be removed
Thank you in advance.
Hi there
I replace this alternator and the ac compressors needs to be unbolted and pushed out of the way without disconnecting the refrigerator lines.The top bolt needs to be removed but the bottom bolt does not need to be removed but just loosened and the alternator pivots out .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there the alternator can be removed

Hi there
I replace this alternator and the ac compressors needs to be unbolted and pushed out of the way without disconnecting the refrigerator lines.The top bolt needs to be removed but the bottom bolt does not need to be removed but just loosened and the alternator pivots out .
Thank you. I figured that out with a lot of wiggling. I also had to remove the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm glad you fixed it. Changing the transmission oil filter will be your next challenge but its easy.I did that at about 75 k
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you in advance.
I think the cart is in front of the horse on this one. A battery can read 13 volts right after shutting off the engine but a full battery is 12.6 volts, not 13. Over night a good battery will read about 12.4 volts, after a few days drops farther. Our 2019 CX5 reads 12.24 volts not driven for few days.
With engine running, was a basic test done to see if the alternator is putting out between 13-14.7volts? Put a load on the alternator, did it keep up and still charge?
With the battery to weak to start the car, after being jumper started, the alternator should max out to near 15 volts, the whine because the alternator is working hard. A dead battery should be charged with an portable battery charger, not your alternator unless there is no choice.
I just cked my car battery. After not running for a few days the 6 year old battery in my 2007 MS6 reads 12.11 volts, started it up, alternator putting out 13.8 volts. The 6 year old battery and 12.11 volts, the engine sounded like it was turning slower then normal when starting. I'm hooking the battery charger to it now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts