Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it not be possible to take the stock down pipe and Knock out the "Ceramic/brick" material? I know ideally it sounds like some "Mixed up" engineering, but why couldn't it work? I know being a Mustang guy a lot of people did this all the time back in the day!!!! Call it BUDGET performance :laugh:

·
Registered
820 Posts
yes very possible, very common. it's just a ton of work to do and your part then becomes "un-returnable" to stock. the factory dp is probably in the 1000 range so be careful.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I remember knocking out the pre-cats back on the 2.5L Duratec. you're right Budget Performance! But hey, it seemed to make a difference.
Although, if i were to spend the time/effort removing the stock DP, I would probably go ahead and replace it with an aftermarket one.

I hate the fact that people here have become so hostile. It makes people afraid to even post their thoughts. I wonder how long till this thread blows up into childish arguing of who knows more.
Back to the topic....

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
let me chime in...................... Under normal earth bound conditions, when objects move owing to a constant gravitational force a set of kinematical and dynamical equations describe the resultant trajectories. For example, Newton’s law of gravitation simplifies to F = mg, where m is the mass of the body.......................

·
Registered
820 Posts
let me chime in...................... Under normal earth bound conditions, when objects move owing to a constant gravitational force a set of kinematical and dynamical equations describe the resultant trajectories. For example, Newton’s law of gravitation simplifies to F = mg, where m is the mass of the body.......................
[/b]
Interesting, why don't you just paste the whole Wikipedia article you copied that from...

PS: Did you post this in the wrong thread?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Back in the old days when they just had a single cat, I remember a few times driving something through the cat to help it breath a little better... ;)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Interesting, why don't you just paste the whole Wikipedia article you copied that from...

PS: Did you post this in the wrong thread?
[/b]
i wrote that bitch! next i shall kick yer dog.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
This definetly can be done, unfortunetly for me I think I will need to go have an emmissions inspection on my car performed in the next 2 or 3 years and I need some kind of CAT in there, that and the non-returnable stock thing makes me not want to do it

·
Registered
156 Posts
Guilty of this too. Later replaced the "gutted" cat with a test pipe. Theory was that the interior angles of the cat were causing swirling of exhaust air and thus not allowing it to flow as freely as just a plain pipe. Not sure where this cat is on the DP, but could you not have a flange put in and a test pipe installed. At the same time have the cat flanged? This would get you to where you want to be, on a budget, but the ability to go back to stock. I would think, this is a blind estimate since I do not now the position of the cat, it should cost in the neighborhood of $100.00 to get that done, unless you have a friend who can weld.
It is a good idea, and if this was a pre 96, I would do it.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
477 Posts
This certainly works, and has been done successfully on may turbo cars. It might not make as much power as an aftermarket downpipe, but it works.

One unknown is the whether we have ceramic matrix cats or metal matrix cats. I don't think you can hollow out a metal matrix cat because it just bends, rather than crumbling like a ceramic would.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
[/b]

but what does that have to do with the price of cheese in new york?

geesh

·
Registered
167 Posts
correct, I actually had a set they were nice, but my Autospeed 3" pipes were even nicer grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
[/b]

Actually, I called a Mazda dealer a few weeks ago and priced the down pipe and they gave me a price of $181.00 C$ which I thought was very cheap. I was thinking of using it as a template to make a 304 SS down
pipe or possibly even 309 or 310 High Temperature Resistant S.S. depending of course on the cost. Just called Mazda again and verified the cost for the stock pipe...........Yup $181.48 C$. I think I'd rather make one and keep the stock pipe for resale or emission testing purposes.

Regards, :drive:

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
in regards to emissions, it's a tough call. most cars now run super clean anyway, so the loss of a portion of the cat shouldn't make it an emissions killer. as long as it's not poluting (they don't have specs to compare each car to stock levels) and doesn't throw a CEL things should be kosher. my thoughts on it at least. even if you are in cali and have to go to a ref, they aren't going to know what you did inside a stock pipe.

just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
isn't cpe one piece?? you will still need the main cat. I know in VA there is hefty fines for running with out a cat and yes cops and inspection checks for them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Actually, I called a Mazda dealer a few weeks ago and priced the down pipe and they gave me a price of $181.00 C$ which I thought was very cheap. I was thinking of using it as a template to make a 304 SS down
pipe or possibly even 309 or 310 High Temperature Resistant S.S. depending of course on the cost. Just called Mazda again and verified the cost for the stock pipe...........Yup $181.48 C$. I think I'd rather make one and keep the stock pipe for resale or emission testing purposes.

Regards, :drive:
[/b]
Dude there is no possible way that is the true price. i would believe $1181.48.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts