Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went car shopping today, life has changed alot for me than what it was when I bought the 6 back in Feb 2003. I now have a fiancee, soon a wife, now live with her rather than at home and have discovered just how many embankments there are in South Carolina, effectively destroying the $550 AutoEXE front bumper and $700 paint job, losing the splash shield on the driver's front wheel well on I-20 somewhere. Not to mention with the loss of my good paying job at Pep Boys and having to accept a lower paying position elsewhere, the $389 a month payment is too much.

Overall I am unhappy with my choices about the car and it just doesn't fit anymore with my future plans and I have had to make a decision, I always wanted my Fiero. I still have that $800 87 Fiero GT option available to me, just needs a short block to get it running and quite literally every engine under the sun is swappable into the car, as long as a FWD transmission can be mated to the engine, from the miniscule Saturn 1.9L's to Roots blower blown Oldsmobile 455 big block V8s. I am getting my Fiero GT, once the Windstar she has sells, I get my Fiero.

So today we went round and round at the dealerships, starting first at the Pontiac dealer. Spied some G6s, she seemed to like it, of course I could leave until I made her see the Solstice. She drooled over the Solstice, must say she has good taste, but it gets better. So from there to the Chevy dealer, found a Cobalt SS, she loved the styling of the Cobalt too, good taste. From there to the Dodge dealer, looked at a Crossfire up close, showing her how great of a deal my brother got his Crossfire for (2004 for $18,000, no original owner). She liked the look of the new Chargers and especially the Daytona R/T in yellow/black, being really impressed in her taste.

So we finally found what we came for, I had shown her the Caliber in magazines before, she sort of shrugged it off. I showed her the Fit Sport, both agreed it's pretty ugly, but the MPG numbers and price would be the selling factor. They only had two Calibers on the lot, a silver 1.8L stripper model and the light blue mid-level 2.0L sport trim. No R/Ts, which is what I really wanted, I wanted that 2.4L and AWD. Anyway, I let her test drive the blue one, it was fully loaded, had the 6-disc CD/MP3 player, Boston Acoustic sound system with the Music Gate flip down, CVT automatic, body-color seat inserts and center dash, alloy wheels, Chill-Zone glove compartment, LED flashlight built into the rear dome light, and illuminated cup holders. She fell in love with it, so much so, we sat down for financing and appraised the 6. They only offered me $10,000 for it.

My 6 was co-signed for, since I had no credit back in 2003, since then I have only been able to amass a measly 618 beacon score from my two credit cards and on-time car payments. So the credit union the 6 is financed through would not finance the Caliber for as long as the 6 was financed for, thus the monthly payment on the Caliber would be $413 a month. I left my info with them to try one bank at a time to see if they could get it down to $290 to $310 a month.

So this is the begining of the end I suppose. If it does happen, I will be driving the Caliber until the Fiero is bought and gets running.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Bleh, I think their are better choices then the caliber. If money is really a factor I heard you can get any leftover neons for around 10k. Considering your credit rating you might wanna hold on to the 6 a bit longer. Instead maybe pick up extra hours or a p/t job. I know it will suck but it might be the best option, plus a few extra $$ in your pocket can never hurt

·
Registered
922 Posts
if your gonna get a caliber wait for the SRT-4.... 300 horsies.. yeh baby

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chicks and cars are like oil and water...the chick is clouding your judgement!!! If you find yourself on the Dodge lot looking at a Calibur, you need to give yourself more time...I have been to South Carolina...if you have a job and $189 a month you can lease up a car and pocket the extra change...I am thinking of selling my house and moving to SC to sell time shares...but...that's another topic...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Say it ain't so Fordman! Where will I get all my interesting threads about upcoming cars or cool modifieds?

I've seen this on forums before. Once a car has been out for awhile, and especially after the automaker stops production, the forum slowly dies out.

·
Registered
922 Posts
first year model from an american auto maker?...good luck with that....
[/b]

LOL yeh what he said...

seriously the SRT-4 wouldn't be bad... i mean it's the same 2.4 Turbo as in the Neon SRT-4, so atleast the engine will sing.... can't guarantee the door won't fall off though... just a thought

·
Registered
127 Posts
I zoom zoomed past a Caliber this morning - I didnt think it looked all that great though. If I had to do it all over, I would have picked a Honda or Toyota. As a college grad last year, totally unwilling to do any research and being absolutely stupid, the salesmen fed me through the meat grinder and got a huge deal off of my ass. Good luck with what you end up in!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
A Caliber? I'm really really really ashamed Fordman. Seriously. Even Motor Trend called it a POS.

So you would be paying more money on less car? That just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Caliber's being ranked last in almost every comparison test it's been in. And it's the new guy. It's getting beat by cars that haven't been updated in 5 years. It's heavy, anemic, unusual (at best) styling, has Dodge's reknowned interior materials and fit, and will undoubtedly have Neon-like depreciation -- i.e. it will be worth more as scrap metal than as a car within 3 years.

It's your money and your tastes. So do as you will. But I just don't get it. Trade in your 6 for a Neon to save a measly $75/month? Doesn't make any sense to me.

And if you're really worried about your credit score, taking out a new loan really isn't gonna help matters any. I bet you'd be looking at a 50 point drop right off the bat.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't get it either. There are much better alternatives out there than the Caliber. I don't think I even need to mention the 5-door Mazda3. Granted, the 3 does not have AWD.

Hell, for the money of the Caliber, why not just get a Impreza 2.5i? The Caliber R/T with AWD has the same HP rating as the Impreza, but the Impreza weighs a whopping 300lbs less. Not to mention that you can probably find an Impreza with more options to your liking for LESS money than the Caliber. It comes with AWD standard, 5-speed manual standard, and it would kick the Calibers ass any day of the week. Lets not forget better highway gas mileage. If looks don't matter (which I guess they don't if you are considering a CALIBER), then the Impreza 2.5i seems like a logical choice. I don't know, but that is just me. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
922 Posts
good call lethal... i always forget about the NA scooby...thier AWD is econd to none... even better than Mitsu's.. alot better

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
2.0 L Caliber with CVT automatic = :thumbdn:

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
You're kidding, right?

Trading in the 6 for a Calibur? :slap: :nono:

Did you even TRY a Mazda 3 out for size? Do your woman a favor and take a 3 out for a spin. I bet she'll change her mind pretty quickly...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
About this Discussion
62 Replies
40 Participants
ShaDrag
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing