Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some winter tires for my MS6. So, I'm trying to figure out if I want an extra set of wheels for the winter(expensive) or if I should just put on all season tires. (cheaper)

I'm looking at the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, but what kind of performance loss am I going to see over the stockers?

·
Registered
444 Posts
don't go the cheap way, your life might depend on it. buy some OEM Mazda 16 or 17" with real winter tires. or keep your OEM 18" as winter rims (not very recommended).

Those Pirelli aren't very good for snow and ice. they are all season.

how about this? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Yup, mount some of those up on 17" rims for the winter. That would be my choice. Problem is, it is not a cheap endevor. The Nero's are cheaper, and don't need an extra set of rims. Hence the question how bad are the Nero's. Anyone else have other opinions?

don't go the cheap way, your life might depend on it. buy some OEM Mazda 16 or 17" with real winter tires. or keep your OEM 18" as winter rims (not very recommended).
Those Pirelli aren't very good for snow and ice. they are all season.
how about this? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
[/b]

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Yup, mount some of those up on 17" rims for the winter. That would be my choice. Problem is, it is not a cheap endevor. The Nero's are cheaper, and don't need an extra set of rims. Hence the question how bad are the Nero's. Anyone else have other opinions?
[/b]
I'm sure you're on a budget (like everyone else), but what is your safety worth? I'm assuming you guys get some pretty brutal winters up there in Minnesota, so true winter tires is really the only way to go. However, if you do decide on all-seasons, you will need to find a tire that is very capable in the snow, which means you will give up a lot in terms of dry handling. Better snow traction means lots of little tread blocks for extra biting edges. Small tread blocks, however, mean less rubber on the road and more tread squirm, resulting in reduced handling performance. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways so you need to decide for yourself what is more important.

·
Registered
113 Posts
[/b]
I am in the same dilema. I drive in the city most of time (~ 10-12 miles a day) and, it gets cleared pretty fast. I have had lot of highway miles though (1.5 months - 4000 miles) over weekends and holidays. I read somewhere that the PNero's wear quite a bit faster. So, if thats the case then, running the sepreate winters for 5 months and then switching to summer stocks would not be that bad financially.

I guess for my location, A/S would be sufficient, I think. since i shall be on highway speeds and long drives onc or twice in a month or two I am confused :(

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Find a used set of 17" OEM Mazda6 wheels (or 17" steelies), and get snow tires.

It may be more expensive now, but it's worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need to get some winter tires for my MS6. So, I'm trying to figure out if I want an extra set of wheels for the winter(expensive) or if I should just put on all season tires. (cheaper)

I'm looking at the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, but what kind of performance loss am I going to see over the stockers?
[/b]

I am in the same situation, I purchased the Pirelli P zero M+S and put them on my car. The cost for buying a set of new rims plus tires for five months when I just purchased the car does not make sense. I have driven fwd drive car with all season with no problem. I drove RWD cars in Syracuse during their harsh winters with no problem. I drove NYC cabs with crappy tires in the winter. The Speed6 has AWD, traction control, DSC, and anti lock brakes it should be fine. My feeling is you just slow down, it is winter. My Jeep liberty with it's four wheel drive and M+S tires require care in the snow, my wife's Subaru runs Perelli and has never had a problem in the snow. Save money, but the Pirellis.

Nelson

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just put a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero's on mine - seem pretty good so far even in dry - have not yet pushed it though..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have been looking for 17 inch tires for year round use. Wanted to increase the width. There have been many positive reviews of the Falken ZE512, however the 225/45-17s have the same tread width as the Bridgestone RE050A, 7.7 inches. Just something else to consider.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You'll regret using the P Zero Nero M+S in the snow. Trust me!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Find a used set of 17" OEM Mazda6 wheels (or 17" steelies), and get snow tires.

It may be more expensive now, but it's worth it in the long run.
[/b]
Better yet, for snow tires: 16" OEM Mazda6 wheels.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Better yet, for snow tires: 16" OEM Mazda6 wheels.
[/b]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the brakes on the MS6 are larger than that of the Mazda6, therefore the 16" wheels don't fit, and 17" is the minimum size.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the brakes on the MS6 are larger than that of the Mazda6, therefore the 16" wheels don't fit, and 17" is the minimum size.
[/b]

You are right. The Mazda 6 17'' are the only ones possible. Need to get one myself :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same dilemma... I just bought my M6 1 1/2 weeks ago, and I have the stock 17's on it. I just bought a set of RX-8 Rims today (!!) and i'm thinking about using the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S on them, and selling my stocks that way I didn't really spend too much money. I can't afford to buy Potenza's at $200 each, and keep my stock tires. Are the Nero's going to perform better than my stock 17's? I'm in VA, so my winters arn't too harsh...

Also, what could I get for my stock rims & tires with tread depth of 8-9?

·
Registered
359 Posts
the pzero nero M+S with my OEM 18" is very good, and from what I read they do fine in light snow (users rating between 7-8 and it seem you can't get above 8 unless you are true winter tire) it will definitely be much better than the stock 17" michellin.

as expected in med, deep snow the performance fall somewhat.

i read the prillei wintertire sottovoce? don't perform all that good as a winter tire compare to the leaders, but you get much better feel/driving performance on dry ground than the other winter tire?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
how do the Potenza Re050A 225/45ZR18 compare to the 215/45ZR18 in performance? Does anyone know?
[/b]
That's not an all-season tire. And there wouldn't be much performance difference between the two sizes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I know it's not an all season tire, but everyone keeps saying to go with a high performance tire...So I asked about them. So if the 225's are only $130, and the 215's are $205, and I need to save money... the 225's would be good still? Does anyone know if they would rub?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yeah, I know it's not an all season tire, but everyone keeps saying to go with a high performance tire...So I asked about them. So if the 225's are only $130, and the 215's are $205, and I need to save money... the 225's would be good still? Does anyone know if they would rub?
[/b]
Ah. You should probably start a separate thread since the title of this one is about all-season tires. Your question will probably get passed over.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm having a real hard time finding good high performance all seasons in Toronto. The only tires I can find so far to fit my 17" stock aluminums are the Bridgestone Torenza, Michelin Exalto AS, Yokohama H4S and Hankook 405's. Anyone know if these are worth gettting? I can't find any of the tires ppl are mentioning in his thread and I NEEED tires :swearin: thanks :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts